What Cordage, rope etc is in your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Just got some 4mm braided nylon (I think) rope from a poundland. Called Utility rope, think it is the same outdoor brand that is in the Poundland chains. Not bad for a quid. Also got some more jute string at same time.

Ok, to the point. I bet everyone has paracord but what else do you carry?

I tend to have the jute, and normally some sort of Nylon cord(need to get some more). To use instead of the paracord, which I tend to use for reuseable jobs, like wrapping knife handles etc. To be honest I do not like to waste it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I have jute twine in my SAK belt holster, together with 30 metres of dayglo green Dyneema 2mm cord which has a 95lbs breaking strain.

More jute twine and 15 metres of paracord are in my 'MEL' bag, which lives in my day pack side pocket.

I've been looking at some Spectra 2mm cord which has about 950lbs breaking strain (IIRC).

These are my cord Minimum Equipment List carry items.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I string my hammock and tarp from English braids 2mm dynamic line,guys from 1mm dyneema core, and carry 20m Marlow d12 2.5mm and 10m of polyprop paracord.

I love my dyneema, But it cost me a bit more than a pound. :)

i have a roll of army green Nylon brade cheap and chearfull just cut of what i want for a job its alos what i have on my tarp lines

my Hennesy has 4mm Spectra cords (1600lbs ) as manufactured as main hanging ropes and really small guy ropes

dont really bother with paracord as its not ness and expensive tho have jsut got some lengths of real stuff (was cut of a parachute so must be) cheap to nice to use for general guy ropes n stuff tho

ATB

Duncan

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
As recommended in the Royal Marines survival book (my latest and favourite book) - get RED paracord. I have just come back from a week's course using the usual green, tan and black cord and it is definitely a good tip to use the red stuff as you will not lose it like you will with everything that is woodland coloured...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
As recommended in the Royal Marines survival book (my latest and favourite book) - get RED paracord. I have just come back from a week's course using the usual green, tan and black cord and it is definitely a good tip to use the red stuff as you will not lose it like you will with everything that is woodland coloured...

:lmao:

Buy green-ish on purpose most of the time.

Must admit my bike rack tie downs are the guys from a tent. Black guy lines was not a good idea, everybody tripped over them so they got replaced.

i have a roll of army green Nylon brade cheap and chearfull just cut of what i want for a job its alos what i have on my tarp lines

That is the thing I am in need of, just used the last of my 'do not care' cord.

Been thinking about adding either Spectra, or dyneema cord in place of paracord.

Looking at a length of dyneema, instead of climbing rope, but not sure. (As general/emergency rope, not as a full time climbing rope) The price is very interesting as well. :yikes:

Anyone got a good place to get Spectra or dyneema cord?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Always seem to have pieces of binder twine in the pockets of my jackets, dont think i could manage without it. Best thing about it is i can pick it up for free.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Always seem to have pieces of binder twine in the pockets of my jackets, dont think i could manage without it. Best thing about it is i can pick it up for free.

Is that the bright orange stuff they use on farms?

I have found it ok used straight off the roll. It did not seem to be happy about being stored. That said for free, and it does do the job.

eBay.com (USA) has some very interesting Spectra cord...

Well have to have a hard look so far can only find non-uk shippers.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Is that the bright orange stuff they use on farms?

I have found it ok used straight off the roll. It did not seem to be happy about being stored. That said for free, and it does do the job.

Thats the stuff, not just bright orange though, always a good supply around the stables from the hay and straw

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Green Perlon utility cord, cheapo "paracord", green garden twine, bits of natural cordage are all to be found in my kit....

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Dyneema and Spectra are almost identical, just different manufacturers.
Please do not use dyneema/spectra as climbing rope i.e lead climbing, it has no shock absorbing ability and will break most climbing hardware if you take a fall on it.
As for the original post, you can't have enough bits of string/rope.:)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Dyneema and Spectra are almost identical, just different manufacturers.

Interesting, so might come down to which is easier to get hold of or cheaper.

Please do not use dyneema/spectra as climbing rope i.e lead climbing, it has no shock absorbing ability and will break most climbing hardware if you take a fall on it.

So what is a good all round rope then? If you want climbing ability in a rope what is the best to go for?

As for the original post, you can't have enough bits of string/rope.:)

:) Man after my own heart!

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
My ridge line is 5mm olive green cord (I carry more than I have yet to need :sadwavey: ) 4mm Para cord attached to tarp for guy lines (plus an extra couple of 5 metre lengths), a length of 3mm para type cord (multiple uses e.g. bow string), green gardening string (disposable), white kite string (disposable). Oh and my bootlaces!

PREPER.............. :)

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
So what is a good all round rope then? If you want climbing ability in a rope what is the best to go for?

If you want a rope to lead climb with then you need a climbing specific rope. Climbing ropes are designed to absorb shock loading when falling by stretching and then recovering. Personally I only ever use climbing ropes for climbing, and retire them (depending on use) to use around the house, boat or woods etc. If a climbing rope gets used for something else or I have any suspicion about how it was stored then it gets retired.
I prefer 3 strand nylon for messing about with for most circumstances, I can splice it, it knots easily and looks good when doing decorative things with and is relatively cheap. I would not however use it for climbing.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you want a rope to lead climb with then you need a climbing specific rope. Climbing ropes are designed to absorb shock loading when falling by stretching and then recovering. Personally I only ever use climbing ropes for climbing, and retire them (depending on use) to use around the house, boat or woods etc. If a climbing rope gets used for something else or I have any suspicion about how it was stored then it gets retired.

I do agree that a climbing rope should be treated with a lot of respect. Which makes me wonder if another type would be better for what I have in mind.

I was looking for 30 metre rope for general use, and emergency use. A sailing halyard does seem to make more sense, because they do live in a harsh enviroment, and under a lot of stress and strain.

I prefer 3 strand nylon for messing about with for most circumstances, I can splice it, it knots easily and looks good when doing decorative things with and is relatively cheap. I would not however use it for climbing.

But if you have just watched your friend disapper down the side of a cliff, the first rule of aid is to protect your rear end, so would you use this sort of three strand rope so you could see what is going on? I am maybe talking about what sort of rope would you use for one emergency climb, or weight hold? While a tempramental climbing rope would be the perfect choice, what would be a good second?

I do agree, that I prefer three strand ropes, made from natural materials if possible, but like with the cords I carry, sometimes manmade stuff just works better, or has a certainity about it.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I carry some 550para in multi-cam for when I don't want to show up too much and some bright yellow for when I do! Also some willow-bark cordage & jute string for 'disposables'.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I do agree that a climbing rope should be treated with a lot of respect. Which makes me wonder if another type would be better for what I have in mind.

I was looking for 30 metre rope for general use, and emergency use. A sailing halyard does seem to make more sense, because they do live in a harsh enviroment, and under a lot of stress and strain.

But if you have just watched your friend disapper down the side of a cliff, the first rule of aid is to protect your rear end, so would you use this sort of three strand rope so you could see what is going on? I am maybe talking about what sort of rope would you use for one emergency climb, or weight hold? While a tempramental climbing rope would be the perfect choice, what would be a good second?

I do agree, that I prefer three strand ropes, made from natural materials if possible, but like with the cords I carry, sometimes manmade stuff just works better, or has a certainity about it.

In an emergency situation Type III paracord (real stuff not the cheap knock-off) has a breaking strain of @550lbs, more than adequate for a full body weight abseil.
The 3 strand nylon I use most often is 8mm dia, again I would be happy to abseil off this. If you want a rope for messing about with and abseiling/top rope climbing then 8mm semi static abseil/caving rope, it's fairly lightweight and very useful. Sailing ropes tend to more expensive, as is everything when you put the word Marine in front of it, and yachties replace ropes fairly regularly.
Apart from mechanical and chemical damage U.V. is the most harmful thing to ropes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE