What are your thoughts on swanndri gear, is it worth the money?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I want a decent outdoor work shirt for the Spring and Autumn I have heard that Swanndri make excellent clothing but after looking at it I have found it a bit pricey, I don't mind paying the money if it is really worth so any thoughts on this clothing? :newbie:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
try typing docker shirt, into ebay, they are woollen shirts made by Levi Strauss and if the guy is still doing them, they are fantastic shirts.....Cost £10......Swanni's are very good, but I would say a little on the expensive side, but I am more than pleased with mine.....

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I love mine . Its toasty as any fleece you can lay your hands on and puts up with showers quite well . I have used various "lumberjack" style shirts and even the old issue KF shirt , but the swannie is a class or 2 above most of the others i have tried . Would definately reckomend one .
Pumbaa

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
well worth the money i bought mine 12 years ago and ware it every day in the cold and wet, and as a tree surgeon it gets plenty of abuse but is stil going well. :You_Rock_

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I've only had mine a relatively short time, and luckily it cost me nothing, as it was a gift. It's seen me right so far, warm, comfortable, breathable and water reistant - but it'll need a few more months of wear before I decide on whether to spend my own money on one.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Had mine a couple of months and wouldn't be without it, hard wearing and comfortable. If I was to get another one though I'd probably get one with a wind proof lining, think its their extreme range, mainly for the fact that the wind whistles through and blows and heat away quite quickly.

Matt

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Had mine for a couple of years now. It's still wearing well

Had it sent from New Zealand to try to reduce costs

Definately worth it to me (even thinking about getting another)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
If I'm right in remembering, there was a thread on here maybe last year or the year before about how Swanndri moved all their production to China. Now I'm not saying that the Chinese stuff is inferior but it'll be a damn sight cheaper to produce, funny how Swanni's prices haven't changed though :rolleyes: .
Of course I may have just imagined the thread and I'm far to lazy to search for it.
I do have a swanni bushshirt and a ranger both excellent, I also have one of the dockers shirts mentioned, and for a tenner it's brilliant.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lithril said:
Had mine a couple of months and wouldn't be without it, hard wearing and comfortable. If I was to get another one though I'd probably get one with a wind proof lining, think its their extreme range, mainly for the fact that the wind whistles through and blows and heat away quite quickly.

Matt
Well I do tend to agree with you there Matt, but imagine how warm you would get in it then......Just get a windproof top to go underneath it, if needs be......

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah iv had mine for over a year now. It hasnt had much of a hard life but the liner is starting to get 'bobbled' - probarbly from the friction of my my back whilst with a rucksack on. Also it lacks a collar and the neck fastener is way too small for my rather bovine neck.

Still though, a pretty sweet garment, its been through some heavy showers and has kept me dry and toasty. Its got a good length to it too, giving your thighs some coverage.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Speaking as someone who found it most necessary to where their flannelette pyjamas beneath their Army Cadet wool-based uniform I’m amazed I purchased one of these shirts but, with a suitably thick & high-necked undergarment, I find it a nice bit of kit and of course very ‘cool’ in a bushcrafty kind of way!

A massive improvement however would be to dispense with the floppy shirt collar, of a size more appropriate to the “Life On Mars” wardrobe department, and extend the zip through to the top of a high collar as per my Andy Rouse Paramo Mountain Vent Pull-On. That really would improve its value as a wind-blocker by a huge degree.

Cheers

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I payed 30 pound for mine its a good bit of kit but I would not pay 110 pounds for one, there not that warm but they are hard wearing .if you put bushcraft and shirt together it's a license to print money thats my opinion I think most bushcraft kit is over priced

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have just discovered Swanndri myself, I originally ordered the Mosgeil Bushshirt, when it arrived and I had worn it for a couple of days in the cold and wet, I am a surveyor, I decided to order a Ranger Shirt.

Both are excellent, well made and represent good value for money IMHO.

Stewey. :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have one, nice shirts, but grossly overpriced for what they are. I have a fleece shirt I got from Poundstrecher for £4.99 and its just as comfy and warm to be honest (but you can't pose in a £5 shirt can you). To me, the Swandri is a nice shirt with big label appeal ;)

breakingwaves

May 14, 2008
Wish I Knew how good they were. I bought a hooded Swanndri Bushshirt a couple of years ago after going on a Ray Mears course, wore it once then found out I have an allergy to wool :-(
Its still hanging in the wardrobe - I must have had all of an hours use out of it - is this a record ? Who knows may even get round to ebaying it this year.

Have only just found this website, so hi to everyone.

Adrian
Bournemouth

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
they're are great shirts, but, like all things, not to everybodies taste. If you want alternatives, a more traditional looking wool shirts can be found on the filson website or try l.l.Bean, they are both American stores, and no cheaper than a swannie but at least you have an option.
I've had my ranger for a few years now, it's good quality, comfy and practical but, as already mentioned, the collar is huge and pointless, the zip could do with being full length or replaced with traditional buttons and the sizing is quite bizzare unless my arms are unnaturally long (maybe i'm an orangotan:dunno: )
Good luck
Baggins

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I was lucky enough (twice) to find swanndris in charity shops for a few quid. Very happy with them ;-)
If they wear out or go, I'd shell out forthe Bison Shirt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE