veggie pepperami!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Fry a grated onion in olive oil until it starts to brown, remove from heat and stir in three heaped teaspoonsful of dark brown soft sugar, a wee quick grate of real ginger, a crushed clove of garlic, a couple of good screws of the black pepper grinder, same with sea salt,
squirt of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and a good grind of assorted herbs. Return to heat and gently stir fry cubed, drained tofu.
Remove from heat, cover and leave for a couple of hours.
If you want to take this with you when out, remove the tofu onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in the oven for quarter an hour on 160 C, Turn it every five minutes.
Otherwise the tofu is great for kebabs, especially if you drizzle the sauce over them as they roast :D or the whole mix just added to stews or oven bakes :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ok so you eat it cold? or do you reheat it after? wife now asking if there is a diabetes option (brown sugar)

(She should really get her own account and you could pm veggie recipes till your harts content)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your wife can eat the fruit purees then add some of that instead of sugar.........apricot is good :D or even just peel and grate an apple after you've done the onion and the ginger.
It just needs a little sweetening......a desert wine might work, I know flat ale does :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

I'm inclined to agree with those who don't see the point of fake meat.

I turned veggie for financial reasons a few years back, I'm now back to eating meat (and it had nothing to do with bacon butties - I still don't see why so many "relapse" on those things) but pre, during and post veggie - I never saw the point in the stuff.

You can eat some wonderful meals as a veggie, loads of flavour, texture and so on. The thought of having non-meat saussages, mince and so on just doesn't make any sense to me.
I suppose it's handy for "bad" veggies - who basically make no change to their diet other than not eatine meat - but otherwise no.

I had veggie mince once. I'd been told it was almost indistinguishable from the real thing and was (weeks later) given some in secret. It was bloody awful stuff. I didn't know it was veggie until the girl who tried to trick me saw the look on my face and came clean, but I knew there was something wrong with it.

I still love a good veggie meal too. One thing that annoys me to this day is restaurants who see "the veggie option" as being a roast pepper with a bit of cheese or something. Unimaginitve, unappetising dross.

I might have to try these pepperami things just to see though. :p

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
My wife is veggie, so to save any messing I just eat what ever is cooked and very nice it is too, if we get off to Inverness tomorrow I will have a bacon'n'blackpudding butty at Tarvies on the way for my monthly fix :approve:

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I'm inclined to agree with those who don't see the point of fake meat
The thought of having non-meat saussages, mince and so on just doesn't make any sense to me

Like you, I don't see the point in trying to replicate meat using only vegetables, it never
works. It's like trying to re-incarnate Arthur Daley.

I don't see why shapes should belong to meat or veg exclusively, though. The burger
shape fits in bread rolls, and the sausage shape in finger rolls, so why not a veggie
sausage or burger? Or a vegetarian pasty. Or veggie mince. Or vegetarian sandwiches.
Or vegetable chilli, burritos, fried rice, spring rolls, etc.

Not so much veggieburgers - some of them are pretty decent - but they don't pretend to be meat - that's the important bit.

When I said veggie saussages, I didn't mean saussage shaped vegetable mixes, but things like quorn saussages that set out to look and taste like actual meat.

Veggie mince I don't get as it's trying to be like meat. By all means mince vegetables if that's what floats your boat (not that I see why it would) but when it's trying to look and taste like minced beef it's just wierd.

Veg chilli - yep, had it, loved it.
Veg chilli CON CARNE - is another story altogether. It's pretending and I just don't see the point.
See what I mean? ;)

My first veggie meals when I made the switch about 8 years ago were veg curries and veg fajitas - but there was no pretence of meat in them - just a pile of veg and they were bloody DIVINE! :D

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Not so much veggieburgers - some of them are pretty decent - but they don't pretend to be meat - that's the important bit.
See what I mean? ;)

Yes I do. That's what I said "I don't see the point in trying to replicate meat using only vegetables" ;) Veggie mince is just another texture I can use as far as I am concerned, not an attempt to be meat. Well, it used to be when I was vegan.

Vegetarian chilli con carne is an oxymoron :p

Ian

I suppose I can see it as "just another texture" - still seems a bit odd to me though. Most people I've known who eat veggie mince said it was "just like real mince" as opposed to "it's a nice texture I can use in my cooking" - which is kinda different to what you're saying. Haha.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Some veggie sausages are great - as stuffing for poultry!
I often eat veggie (who can afford meat every day - not me!) but I eat veggies that are just that, not faked up "meat".
Taste and texture are supurb - but then my missus is a great cook!

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Can any one tell we whats in the veggie pepperami ?
PLEASE don't say no meat :rolleyes:

Also my wife is asking what to marinade Tofu in, I said exactly the same as you would meat, but I could be wrong (normally am)

I reckon tofu would taste really nice if it was marinated in a rich beef stew. :)

Martin

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I reckon tofu would taste really nice if it was marinated in a rich beef stew. :)

Martin
I will go along with you on this. If We set down to a meal we have
vegges of course mostly as a side to a big medium rare Steak.
If we don't have meat on our plate it is if we have not eaten.

By the way what is a premium 20 oz T bone steak going for over there.
They go for 8 to 10.00 per pound over hear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE