veggie pepperami!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
No, I am not joking. Came across these in Holland and Barrett the other day and thought I would try one for a bit of a laugh. They are actually quite good and surprisingly reminiscent of the real thing (although it is over 20 years since I had a real one).

Don't know whether you can cook with them but might be worth an experiment. Vacuum packed and don't need refrigeration so might make an interesting savoury addition to the pack for multi-day trips.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been veggie for most of my life, I can't imagine anything less appealing that a fake something dead for my dinner :(

I can see it for those who do miss meat and meaty things though, especially if it's as easy to pack to take when out as the real ones.

cheers,
Toddy.......who will pass the news on to a couple of pizza loving veggie teenagers she knows :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If your average vegetarian, is willing to eat vegetarian ‘cheese’, or veggie burgers, then why not pepperoni?

Holland and Barrett sell foods made by these people

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know, it does seem illogical, but the cheese and the burgers are just a convenient shape to mould protein into; pepperoni kind of just looks too much lile intestines stuffed with amorphous meaty bits...........like those fake hotdogs or chicken breast steaks :yuck:

cheers,
M

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I know, it does seem illogical, but the cheese and the burgers are just a convenient shape to mould protein into; pepperoni kind of just looks too much lile intestines stuffed with amorphous meaty bits...........like those fake hotdogs or chicken breast steaks :yuck:

cheers,
M
There is nothing logical about claiming to be vegetarian, Especially when they claim it and still eat fish, or eggs, or chicken.
Either you don't eat meat or you don't :soapbox: Last time I checked chicken and fish were all meat you cannot have it both ways.
I think it is better to say "I don't eat red meat" or "I don't eat land based meat" :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, I agree :D
I don't eat any meat, no eggs, no fish, no fowl, hopefully no insect :rolleyes: and these days I can't even eat milk or cheese, so find my self Vegan except I do eat honey :)

I don't mind prepping meat, or cooking it; just it's not food for me.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was veggie for ten years and vegan 6 months, I still buy these types of food sometimes. They make cooking for mixed groups really easy. I have cooked group meals when camping where I have had two veggies, one gilberts syndrome (protien disgestion probelm) and several meat eaters. Substitue foods are great for those meals as it can all go in one pot and no-one objects. They can also keep better without a fridge.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Don't think of it as something trying to emulate meat but rather as a savoury food that is high in protein that doesn't need any refrigeration and doesn't need cooking before eating.

There does seem to be a bit of a shortage of vegetarian-compatible foods that could survive extended periods in a back-pack - cheese tends to get a bit nasty after a day or two. Meat-eaters have salamis, dried/cured meats, tinned meat and fish but there isn't much for those who don't eat meat. If you are happy to fire up a stove for each meal then the choice is wider but not if you just want a quick lunch on-the-go.

As far as "meat substitutes" in general are concerned, they have their place. I think few people eat them because they crave meat - basically they aren't that close a match anyway and it would be easier to eat the real thing. What they are though are convenient, familiar foods that don't completely scare the meat eaters. That is where they come in to their own - catering for mixed groups. I might be able to persuade some of my meat-loving friends to eat a "sausage" but if I suggested lentils they would run a mile.

I was brought up eating meat but haven't touched it for over 20 years. I don't miss meat - I can't stand the stuff and never liked it. I don't associate the so-called meat-substitutes with meat at all - they are just veggie foods, some good, but most are very bad.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will try anything - including tinned Sausages in lard,worms and bugs of all sorts....but TVP is grim, Tofu is grim and Quorn is grim. IMHO of course:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fry a grated onion in olive oil until it starts to brown, remove from heat and stir in three heaped teaspoonsful of dark brown soft sugar, a wee quick grate of real ginger, a crushed clove of garlic, a couple of good screws of the black pepper grinder, same with sea salt,
squirt of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and a good grind of assorted herbs. Return to heat and gently stir fry cubed, drained tofu.
Remove from heat, cover and leave for a couple of hours.
If you want to take this with you when out, remove the tofu onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in the oven for quarter an hour on 160 C, Turn it every five minutes.
Otherwise the tofu is great for kebabs, especially if you drizzle the sauce over them as they roast :D or the whole mix just added to stews or oven bakes :D

cheers,
Toddy

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Tofu is like eating cubes of that dense rubber foam they use in sofas.

Quorn isn't vegan, so I didn't try that during my vegan period.

But there was a form of TVP - a kind of veggie mince - that I thought
was great. You couldn't eat it on its own, it needed other veg in it,
and herbs and spices, but it makes great chilli and curries.

I'll have to give that veggie pepperami a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE