Trying to be organised

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
what do people use to keep the small bits you carry into the woods organised.

I used to have Snugpak RP, but sold that as it was too big and now looking for smaller something to replace it. What do you use to keep your kit organised?

What i am looking for is somthing to hold a small torch, a head torch, spare batteries, firekit (ligher, tin of cotton balls, matches), Repair Kit, Mozzie Repelent and a sharpener.

Update - Thanks for the advice, sorted now.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
snugpack RP, i find its a great little pack. I dont know why you sold yours mate.
but my advice would be to put all the bits that you want to stow away in your new pack together & think about how you would like to access everything and then choose a system that works closest to your plans.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
i dont know why but never got on with the RP. If i cant find something that works better for me then i will possibly go back to that at some point.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Thinking of the bits like Torch, head torch, batteries, spare cordage, firekit, notepads etc.

I usually roll any smaller nik-naks into a piece of cloth, a shemagh or similar and perhaps secure that into a tight roll with a couple of trucker hitches. Mostly to save weight.

I also have a small leather possibles pouch for some of the more useful odds 'n' ends that I might want to easily get to if I'm out on a short walk.

I use a small drawstring bag to keep my cordage tidy. My notepad is usually in my shirt or trouser pocket.

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
SilNylon stuff sack for me, hung from my hammock suspension ....

DSC02051.jpg

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
They're getting harder to find but I use a military Trauma pouch for all the handy stuff like spare batteries, cordage, torch, repair kit, KFS etc..

EDIT: actually it seems there are plenty of DPM ones available if you google "trauma pouch" :)

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I used to use a maxpedition versipack but found it a bit too small, so got myself a berghaus 20 litre backpack and use a maxpedition EDC fatboy organiser to keep all the little bits together and organised, other bits (headtorch, batteries, leatherman, knife and paracord) go in the internal storage pockets of the backpack which leaves the bigger items (FAK, poncho, binoculars and a bivibag) plenty of room in the main space of the rucksack. Thats what I use for day trips.

For longer trips out I have a few possibles pouches in my bergen with all my little odds and ends in, but usually take the EDC organiser with me too. I cant stand having bits all over the place (think Ive got a bit of OCD) so make sure all my kit is together.

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Loose small items for me are kept in the hip pouchs of my rucksack. When I'm at camp I have a mesh bag I hang from my hammock ridgeline.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Sporran type possibles pouch.

Swallows a lot of gear.

I can also clip things to the closure thong that runs inside.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How much stuff do you guys actually have? If I group together the main items together it leaves me with very few loose items. In my pack I have my sleeping bag, a stuff sack with sleep clothes and UQ, a drybag with my ponchotarp and guylines, and a stuffsack for my hammock and lines. Cook kit has its own leather bag. Fak has its own pouch. What does that leave me with? Firesteel, knife, toothbrush, headtorch...? Curious to know what you guys are taking with you if you need dedicated organisers.

I've been considering picking up a feltlined drybag for my electronics, it'd be nice to be able to put my phone wallet and keys somewhere 'safe' when out.

has any one used one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMY-T-T-...orting_Goods_Paintballing&hash=item3f0c908aeb

any good? looks like the sort of thing i am after but a bit too big. is there something like it but smaller?

Dunno will tell you when it arrives just bought one ....cheers :rolleyes:

Maxpedition do the organizer pouches that are smaller

i have the medium one

look here to save me copying all the photos

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76239

theres the bigger one available in 2 thicknesses and a micro version

Google shopping link

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Macpac module. Bit like a snugpack, one main compartment (KISS) about 7litre capacity. Small bit and bobs in pouches inside. It's really a large bumbag, but I have it rigged to clip onto the front of my big pack, or I wear it with a strap as a side bag or as intended as a bumbag. The waist belt carries a waterbottle and some of the pouches inside can also be rigged on the belt if necessary. It takes all my everyday carry and I use it on its own, and tranfer the whole thing to whatever pack I'm using so I know the essentials are always there. At night its hangs within hand's reach with flashlight available. I was sold it by a bloke in an outdoor shop in Cambridge when I was trying vainly to get everything into a 35litre pack. If I'd had time to think, I probably wouldn't have bought it, but I adapted to it and though I have tried other systems I always come back to it. I bless that salesman when I'm travelling. I guess my point is -learn to adapt to what you have rather than chasing the ideal: but then that's what buscraft is about, isn't it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How much stuff do you guys actually have? If I group together the main items together it leaves me with very few loose items. In my pack I have my sleeping bag, a stuff sack with sleep clothes and UQ, a drybag with my ponchotarp and guylines, and a stuffsack for my hammock and lines. Cook kit has its own leather bag. Fak has its own pouch. What does that leave me with? Firesteel, knife, toothbrush, headtorch...? Curious to know what you guys are taking with you if you need dedicated organisers...

You didn't mention food, meds, extra ammo, camera/film, spare clothes, map/compass, binoculars.

But what you did do was make the OP's point; most of your gear is already organized in some type of carrier bag or pouch. I think that's what he was asking.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
How much stuff do you guys actually have? If I group together the main items together it leaves me with very few loose items. In my pack I have my sleeping bag, a stuff sack with sleep clothes and UQ, a drybag with my ponchotarp and guylines, and a stuffsack for my hammock and lines. Cook kit has its own leather bag. Fak has its own pouch. What does that leave me with? Firesteel, knife, toothbrush, headtorch...? Curious to know what you guys are taking with you if you need dedicated organisers.

I've been considering picking up a feltlined drybag for my electronics, it'd be nice to be able to put my phone wallet and keys somewhere 'safe' when out.

I dont take much more than extra cordage, torch, spair batteries, mozzy replenet, head torch, batteries, spare cordage, firekit, notepads . just hate having a stuff sack as i like order to my kit. everything has a place when i pack and when i am set up in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE