Lightweight grab bag (help me out!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Unfortunately those days seem to be behind us and most threads turn into some tin hat rant.

So back on topic, I have on my list:
-Sandals/flip flops for non operational wear
- jungle sleeping bag (I quite like the look of the snug pan traveller - non military blue)
- folding sink type affair for washing
- spare socks
- ear plugs, eye mask for sleeping
- lightweight clothing (non poly)
- Kip may or inflating mattress
- I’ve got some soap stuff that can be used on body, clothes, soul

Swimming shorts: For slepping, showering when the showers is more primitive and you could offend someone, training kit, warm weather or even swimming.
Sunhat: if you don't get one, bonnie hat typ but in a non military color.
Spares of PPE, it doesn't mather if you should get them, if you need them you need them know, not when next transport arrives etc.
First aid kit: Same as ppe.

Then I would have some bags with stuff that is more aimed for different jobs. You don't need food for a week if you work at a consert but a singel ready to eat meal can be handy. In other cases it could be a good ide to bring enough for a week but ready to eat is heavy so a mix of freeze dried and ready to eat could work.
Same with cold weather kit and water purification.
Make two/tre bags, label them and just grab the right ones and stuff them down in your large rucksack.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I do not recommend the Snugpak Jungle Bag anymore. The fabric tears out leaving holes at the seams. Apart from the wind could go nasty insects in there. And the elastic draw string breaks in just a few years and you can't replace it easily because it's sewn in.
Yes, it looks good in the first view but disappoints after approximately one year of permanent use within 4 years of ownership, even if you know how to treat your equipment carefully.

I think that the very similar Carinthia Tropen is the far better choice.
I don't own the Carinthia Tropen but it seems to be the better choice for professional use as it's also issued in the German army. And German army personal equipment is usually the best that you can currently get if it fits your own needs.

The British made Snugpak Special Forces 1 is also similar and outstanding good, especially in combination with the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag.
But for that you have to add a seperate head net that's built into the Tropen.

I usually don't need a moskito net and the Snugpak SF1 serves me very well since several years in most weather conditions and regular professional use.

If you get immediatly the complete Snugpak SF system also for winter use depends on the possible scenarios.
If you have it you are perfectly prepared for most conditions.

The similar other parts of the Carinthia system would be Defence 4 and Goretex Sleeping Bag Cover. The Carinthia bivvy bag is surely better and more durable than the Snugpak SF bivvy bag, but heavier and much more expensive.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Me?
No! I used and use the stuff for everything else than the military. I never joined that club and did a civil service.

But the equipment is fantastic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE