Lightweight grab bag (help me out!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I’ll start your list, a pair of flip flops, why something to wear and air your feet, also to wear in the shower! Most ex/military will tell you the nasties picked up in showers can be awful, so helps with hygiene. Small n light weight!
Alot of people seem to like Amoji clogs. Similar to crocs but cheaper ~£20.
maybe some leather sandals Aldi have some real cheap right now around £5.99 a pair

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
what happend to voluntary as in days gone by...??

surly locals should be trained for such circumstances as best practice for earliest saving of lives then call on the nearest county or village etcetera for help if required as history has proven time and time again...??
There are a lot of volunteers. I like volunteers, I volunteer.

But, one issue with volunteers is that a person who walks in to help can walk out at any time. There always has to be some assurance or contract.

Training wise, who pays for or provides this? Re qualifies each year? Who provides assurance that the training is good, current and reasonable? Who is held accountable if it all goes wrong?

Kit wise, who pays for this? A standard dressing is about £4, oxygen £20-30 a tank, TQ £30. My small bag alone would cost about £300 to refit, and that’s at bulk rates.

So volunteers are great and needed but there can be limitations.

Reactions: TeeDee

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
There are a lot of volunteers. I like volunteers, I volunteer.

But, one issue with volunteers is that a person who walks in to help can walk out at any time. There always has to be some assurance or contract.

Training wise, who pays for or provides this? Re qualifies each year? Who provides assurance that the training is good, current and reasonable? Who is held accountable if it all goes wrong?

Kit wise, who pays for this? A standard dressing is about £4, oxygen £20-30 a tank, TQ £30. My small bag alone would cost about £300 to refit, and that’s at bulk rates.

So volunteers are great and needed but there can be limitations.
in my experience and whereby there be times for all volunteers all volunteers stayed til they were non longer required,

that said i get your point and whereby a volunteer leaves it is on them their conscience and circumstances and not on any other volunteer

training should be taught in schools and adult learning centres all work places as standard practice and then come second nature

local taxes should pay for any and all materials required

the most qualified i.e. those in positions to teach

whosoever is put in charge by the people

all kit must be made available at state county level and if kit need to be purchased there must be reasonable costs involved

that is not to stop any volunteer purchasing their own kit if that is what they want, yet they should not need to though

there will likely be cheaper if you shop around

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
It’s a nice idea.

You are essentially describing the Civil defence Volunteer service. This was disbanded in 1968 in the UK.

I wonder how successful this would be in modern times?

As for buying your own kit, anything used operationally needs to be to standard and approved.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
It’s a nice idea.

You are essentially describing the Civil defence Volunteer service. This was disbanded in 1968 in the UK.

I wonder how successful this would be in modern times?

As for buying your own kit, anything used operationally needs to be to standard and approved.
the Civil defence Volunteer service should be resurrected imho

if done right then it would be very beneficial for the now times and be able to adapt where applicable

true

there would be list of operational approved kit with manufacturers stockists and-such all at reasonable costs and or good-discounts for all volunteers and-such

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The Civil defence service had a cadre of full time paid officers, like the RNLI does. This is because certain roles require more work than could be expected of a volunteer.

One of the reasons for its demise was the lack of new blood. Many of its members where retired with grown up children etc.

The demands of many of the roles were physically demanding and required many weekends training. How many employed people could give up that much time for free?

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
these days it would be less demanding for reasons such as

taught

at school level
in work places [could be work related] like proper evacuation process and-such thru full on medical assistance
adult-learning centres

rather than every weekend maybe once [1] a month for four [4] days to build up and keep up stamina and if some want yet not required then they can have extra training

also taught the proper foods to eat for proteins carbs and-such

training can be suited to any individuals needs

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Unfortunately those days seem to be behind us and most threads turn into some tin hat rant.

So back on topic, I have on my list:
-Sandals/flip flops for non operational wear
- jungle sleeping bag (I quite like the look of the snug pan traveller - non military blue)
- folding sink type affair for washing
- spare socks
- ear plugs, eye mask for sleeping
- lightweight clothing (non poly)
- Kip may or inflating mattress
- I’ve got some soap stuff that can be used on body, clothes, soul

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Unfortunately those days seem to be behind us and most threads turn into some tin hat rant.

So back on topic, I have on my list:
-Sandals/flip flops for non operational wear
- jungle sleeping bag (I quite like the look of the snug pan traveller - non military blue)
- folding sink type affair for washing
- spare socks
- ear plugs, eye mask for sleeping
- lightweight clothing (non poly)
- Kip may or inflating mattress
- I’ve got some soap stuff that can be used on body, clothes, soul
  • spare under-wear
  • talcum powder or similar to help with sweat and or blisters [i use corn starch as it is cheap and all natural]
  • a small to medium tarp or ground sheet for laying kit or bedding on if need arises
  • for this hot weather i would replace the sleeping bag with a light-weight-blanket or one [1] of them throws that goes over sofas
  • what we normally call camp clothes would be a set of dry clothes you change into when you get back to the van or church or hotel etcetera and double up as sleep-wear
  • salt for soaking clothes covered in blood
  • disposable or washable aprons [if not already supplied] to help keep clothes as clean as possible
  • to add with the inflatable mattress would be a foil-back foam roll-mat [these are a must for all temperatures] as previously mentioned
  • some sort of illumination like a head torch [with spare batteries] or a rechargeable torch or lantern
  • thermal underwear or base layers for the colder weather
  • waterproof jacket and bottoms if working in wet weather
  • maybe a waterproof hat
  • woollen hat for colder weather
  • plenty of water
  • rag for wiping away sweat

there are portable hand operated washing machines that could be kept in your van

i cannot think of anything else atm

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Interesting theories here.

The company get paid for events, film sets and anywhere else that needs or wants medic cover.

I haven’t discussed profit here, it’s a company, with paid staff, but the Red Cross pay their staff too.

Do the fire brigade, ambulance and police work for free? The army get paid for civil work too, claimed from the HO budget not defence.

It’s not about making money from disasters at all. I’ll be using my leave from my paid employment so actually in the long run I’ll be loosing out.
I think we are talking at cross purposes. I was suggesting the company (in it for profit) should provide you with what you need not expect you to fork out for your own gear.

The company has an obligation to their staff whether paid for or volenteer, better also check what insurance covers you too.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
No problem Corso, apologies if my response was a bit sharp.

All PPE and medic kit is provided, we are pretty well kitted to be fair.

Personal kit isn’t provided, some people leave it to chance and buy clothes such as boxers, socks and such in situ, I prefer to be a bit more prepared.
There are some sleeping bags in the vans, for team use but I’ve never heard of anyone washing one….

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm trying to find a list I provided to our Flood Team volunteers without much luck. Essentially a change of clothes, pants and socks for three days, wash kit, personal first aid/boo boo kit, any personal medication, spare glasses rather than contacts. I note you mentioned shared sleeping bags as an alternative a lightweight duvet type thing woobie/poncho liner variation on a theme might do, waterproofs, insulation of preference, hat and gloves with spares, food of sort be it muesli bars, chocolate, tea/coffee, sugar, hot chocolate, cup a soups, battery/battery pack, head torch, multi-tool.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Helpfully, I have most of this stuff. Disappointingly that means I don’t have an excuse to buy new kit.

I saw those oversized duvet ponchos as well which may be an option as you can sleep in a vehicle with them (seated).

• Haha
Reactions: SCOMAN

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
They are useful, I made one based on the Kifaru Woobie modding the layout slightly and bought one of their Doobies(double the insulation). I've slept under them both in vehicles, tents etc and they are quite adaptable.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Helpfully, I have most of this stuff. Disappointingly that means I don’t have an excuse to buy new kit.

I saw those oversized duvet ponchos as well which may be an option as you can sleep in a vehicle with them (seated).

What size chest are you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE