Lightweight grab bag (help me out!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Good morning,

A few of the recent posts re being prepared for harsh times have become relevant (ish) for me.

I’m looking for some advice and recommendations from you.

Through a mates company I have found a bit of a work sideline. His company provides medic cover at events, film sets but also lately as disaster/incident/emergency response.

Due to the nature of this work I need to have a bag packed and ready to go. I have a 60ltr backpack that is as big as I’m allowed.

So, what kit would you recommend? This is not operational kit, that’s sorted, this is kit to keep me clean, clothed and rested for up to a week.

Accommodation could range from a hotel to a church hall to my van.

Clothing wise I’m looking for clothes that are light, don’t smell too much and quick to wash dry.

Food is provided but I’d like a small stash to supplement or cover missed meals. I don’t want to take away from any victims/survivors.

Sleep wise I’d like a lightweight bag

I need lightweight shoes as an alternative to my work boots.

Anything else I could use? Advice appreciated as always.

Andy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’ll start your list, a pair of flip flops, why something to wear and air your feet, also to wear in the shower! Most ex/military will tell you the nasties picked up in showers can be awful, so helps with hygiene. Small n light weight!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ears Plugs - Eye Mask - Sleeping Tablets

Because you deserve your beauty sleep even in a war zone.

( But seriously - anything to help you sleep well , well you need to )

Reactions: Wildgoose

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Thin PA clothing (Supplex or equivalent) is easy to use fairly comfortable and dries quickly. Avoid acrylics and PP, some of them collect smell a metre away for some reason some don't, so far I haven't been able to figure why. Wool is good except slow drying.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Food = Wayfayrer ready to eat meal. Eat them cold or heated in water.

For sleep = Snugpak Jungle bag, warm enough for inside sleeping. Can be zipped open to use as a quilt. Lightweight, packs small.

A headlamp might be handy if you have to stay in some dark accomodation.

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Food is provided but I’d like a small stash to supplement or cover missed meals. I don’t want to take away from any victims/survivors.
for food i recommend the

happy shopper microwavable 250g rice packs in about five [5] different flavours "Any 2 for £1.75"

they also contain less to no added crap in their ingredients

are a meal for one and with a little water can be cooked on a camping stove in minutes with a small amount of water [ i use more water than needed [thereby i cannot give any amount of water thereof] for an extra hot drink of the juice rather than boil more water using more fuel]

they are quick to cook easy to get low-cost more-so from local stores that sell happy shopper foods that pack well in backpacks

some places like "Home Bargains" do the "Uncle Bens" rice in different flavours for £1.00 each

as above these are a meal for one and can be cooked quick on the camping stove with little water, easy to get low-cost and fit well in backpacks

for breakfast a very quick choice for me is the "Harvest Morn instant oats" in sachets a box of ten [10] sachets are less than £1.00 in Aldi and other places like Spar with no fuss and no mess to clean except your spoon as the water goes into the sachet to a fill line for microwave and quick and easy on the camping stove, just boil recommended amount of water or milk in the pan empty the sachet into pan add extra like cinnamon or what you prefer stir in turn of stove and leave about two [2] to five [5] minutes until ready to serve

if you have the time you could prepare and cook and freeze meals at home then when you get the call grab the cooked frozen food from the freezer and put in your backpack

or

get a dehydrator and dehydrate your own food for lighter carry, if you do not have one already let the sun dehydrate the food for you or during colder times dehydrate using your oven with the door open a bit

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Floors and benches can be a lot harder than sleeping on the ground so a comfortable sleeping mat of some kind.
following on for this

i find it best to use a foil backed dense foam roll-mat for insulation, [foil back facing the ground] keeps cooler from hot floors in summer and warmer from cold floors in spring autumn and winter, caveat in winter may need extra padding for insulation from the floor

for the extra insulation in the winter i use a large plastic bag and fill with leaves fallen on the ground during autumn as i would be outside then lay the foil-back roll mat on top of the leaf insulated bag

inside would likely be something different which i have not looked into as yet but thinking along the lines of a self inflating mattress as they pack real small and are lightweight and can fit in a smallish to medium pocket on or in the backpack

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
If you have to sleep on a floor,try a foil mat with indentations,this will radiate your body heat,bit like sticking foil behind a rad in your house,you don't stick it on the rad,it wouldn't work.Boil in the bag rice from Asda,and they do Kohinoor curries that are also boil in the bag.B and M sell flapjacks,dirt cheap,nice comfort grub.Good luck.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
When there is money to be made in disaster/incident/emergency situations

we really are doomed

and when you are employed to deal with disaster/incident/emergency situations

and not supplied by said company you are too

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england

we really are doomed

and when you are employed to deal with disaster/incident/emergency situations

and not supplied by said company you are too
what happend to voluntary as in days gone by...??

surly locals should be trained for such circumstances as best practice for earliest saving of lives then call on the nearest county or village etcetera for help if required as history has proven time and time again...??

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
spare socks
maybe a packable 5l sink or universal plug to allow for washing - youself/your mug/your socks. i find i can endure much more without an itchy head and sweaty bum!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

surly locals should be trained for such circumstances as best practice for earliest saving of lives then call on the nearest county or village etcetera for help if required as history has proven time and time again...??
You've lost me?

The OP's post is pretty clear, it's a job which makes a profit, before that profit the owner of said company should ensure his workers have the PPE and support needed to be able to provide the service being sold
Through a mates company I have found a bit of a work sideline. His company provides medic cover at events, film sets but also lately as disaster/incident/emergency response.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You've lost me?
i was replying you your comment when you clearly said

we really are doomed
when i stated voluntary it means not for profit

when i stipulated
it means the most able-bodied local folk who volunteer or be commandeered can get to the incidents much quicker thus more chance for saving more lives than those that are paid to travel miles for up to a week or more which implies staged events

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I really am not trying to pick on you but read the first post
this is twice now

one [1] in reply to your comment

and second [2] in reply to a follow up of other members comments about washing in the field

thereby kindly think on what you typed and the wording you have typed as it comes across opposite for what it reads

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Alot of people seem to like Amoji clogs. Similar to crocs but cheaper ~£20.

Lightweight bag... Snugpak Jungle bag?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Interesting theories here.

The company get paid for events, film sets and anywhere else that needs or wants medic cover.

I haven’t discussed profit here, it’s a company, with paid staff, but the Red Cross pay their staff too.

Do the fire brigade, ambulance and police work for free? The army get paid for civil work too, claimed from the HO budget not defence.

It’s not about making money from disasters at all. I’ll be using my leave from my paid employment so actually in the long run I’ll be loosing out.

Reactions: Ira and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE