The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It not being UK Harvestman has no clue at all, but Hunstsman is common enough, and it certainly looks like a Sparassid now I'm not trying to make it fit Uk genera.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks good to me. The one in the pic is a little emaciated and worse for wear after spending weeks in my snake catching equipment bag. Some of its legs are still in there.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
This I think is one of the Plume Moths, not much idea which one. Do they have 6 legs?

Plumemoth.jpg

This one I have no idea

moth.jpg

Mike

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I'm glad you said that, because I had no Idaea... :rolleyes:

I think it is too. Nicely done.

Hehe, Linnaeus would've been proud ;)

Cool, t'was but a guess, plucked from the Collins - the number of moths in it with which I'm very impressed by (that was good England!). My butterfly and moth book (a huge chunk of a tome) is in storage, along with my Spider, BumbleBee, and more insect ID books.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lets try you on this one then:).

I was splitting some Willow today and one log revealed this beastie when it was split open, the Willow was cut about 6-8 weeks ago and has been stored in the round with the bark on, so the wood is still wet to the point you can feel it's damp.

DSCN8466.jpg

DSCN8467.jpg

DSCN8467A.jpg

Two Pence piece for scale

DSCN8472.jpg

EDIT: I should add that if my ID of this was correct, it needs destroying - it's "quarantined" at the moment, just in case it's not what i think it is.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't think Stag Beetle would need destroying. Quite the opposite.

That suggests that this is something harmful possibly commercially. I'd agree it is a beetle larva, but after that I'm stuck.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like a stag beetle larva to me... what did you ID it as?

Not a Stag Beetle larvae, dont they have distinctive legs on the front segments?, this one had legs akin to those found on a caterpillar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE