The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
JDTANZSPI.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm favouring Carabus nemoralis at the moment, but I'm not 100% certain by any means.

Your spider is a male Philodromus species, possibly P. cespitum, but other species are possible. Without seeing the male pedipalp I can't say more.

You do photograph things at some odd angles.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Your spider is a male Philodromus species, possibly P. cespitum, but other species are possible. Without seeing the male pedipalp I can't say more.

You do photograph things at some odd angles.

Bear in mind that this little bugger took a trip in my equipment bag from Tanzania. You'll have to forgive the picture, Emm took it and at the time she was in a heightened state of panic. She unpacked it.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bear in mind that this little bugger took a trip in my equipment bag from Tanzania. You'll have to forgive the picture, Emm took it and at the time she was in a heightened state of panic. She unpacked it.

If it isn't a UK species then I'm dead in the water. I'm assuming that's a finger alongside it.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yeah. The front leg span measured about 2 inches across.

If it was that big it wasn't a UK species at all.

What's bothering me are the reflective eyes. The eyes in this group are characteristically black and beady. its a feature they use iun the AIDGAP key to families. The legs are a bit robust too.

Looks like it might be Tanzanian rather than British then.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Sorry just read the thread i see you have already posted where its from ,I have the books out i will have a look

Jason

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks like it might be Tanzanian rather than British then.

Oh yeah, beyond doubt. Thought I'd post it up to throw you a bit ;) Would love to know what it is though. I'm just grateful it wasn't a camel spider stowaway. That would have freaked the beejesus outta me had I of found that toddling around the kitchen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE