The "what is that plant?" thread

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
i can recommend the 'plantnet' app if any of you are in to that sort of thing, i ahve found it to be correct - i spent a while testing it on things i knew before using it on thigns i didnt

Thats what I use to get a quick ID very useful, but I find that a Google afterwards of the Latin name helps enormously as plantnet tends not to use UK colloquial names for plants so it can be misleading. Always recommended to get 2nd and 3rd opinions on plants anyways

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Not really but according to some blue bugle is the plant you pictured. Others call it red dead nettle.
I have spent lots of time trying to establish what two plants folks is talking about. We have an alternative rsd dead nettle later in the summer. Blue bugle should be wild sage.

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
I really don't know how you can confuse bugle (Ajuga reptans) and red dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum) to be honest. The leaves are a different shape and the flowers are a different colour (although, rarely, bugle flowers can be pink and dead-nettle flowers can verge on the purple).

It can, however, be confused with several horehounds and woundworts :)

Reactions: bushwacker bob

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Actual bugle is quite rare around here and the lecturer that I had for my RHS exam refered to most invasive blue flowered plants on lawns as bugles and I have had a life long confusion that I have ignored until your correction, Thanks Broch!

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.