The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think and please correct me if im way off the mark here, but i think its a Long Horn Beetle larvae, certainy the shape/size/markings are similar, but id thought id ask on here to verify this and the species before releasing or squishing it, i know over in East Sussex they have recently felled a massive amount of trees because of the Asian Long Horned Beetle, but it doesnt look right for the Asian Long Horn as it has a different head shape and the body segments look different too.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A longhorn beetle larva is certainly possible. There are enough of them. The problem would be telling which species of Longhorn Beetle, which is way beyond my capabilities.

However, i've just joined up with Wild About Britain and they have a forum section for insect larvae. With your permission I might see if I get get an identification there.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, apart from me not having a clue how to uplaod pictures to them, they also claim total copyright on any image posted, which makes me hesitate in itself.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hmm, apart from me not having a clue how to uplaod pictures to them, they also claim total copyright on any image posted, which makes me hesitate in itself.

if you copy and paste this link into their page it should show the photo, you will need to replace the {} on the first IMG bit with [] like so for it to work though

{img}http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/kepisbushcraft/Fauna/DSCN8467A.jpg

dont worry about the copyright issue, i can delete the image once we have the info we need/want:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
if you copy and paste this link into their page it should show the photo, you will need to replace the {} on the first IMG bit with [] like so for it to work though

{img}http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/kepisbushcraft/Fauna/DSCN8467A.jpg

dont worry about the copyright issue, i can delete the image once we have the info we need/want:)

They delete the post immediately if you hotlink. I've tried it many a time and they are on it in a flash.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They delete the post immediately if you hotlink. I've tried it many a time and they are on it in a flash.

That's what they say, too.

I don't think I can be bothered, to be honest, and as you say, I don't think they will be much help if I do. Was a nice idea, but I'm not keen now.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For a laugh, here's my first post on that site

"Hi all,

I've just joined on here, as this looked like a great resource. I'm a spiders man (well, UK arachnids anyway), and my first impressions are not very good.

I went straight to the spiders section, and there is the featured species, Misumena vatia, with a picture of a Xysticus alongside it. The picture doesn't even match the species description given for Misumena vatia.

So I looked at the other pictures. Atypus affinis, about as unmistakeable a species as you can get - but the picture shows what looks like a juvenile Clubionid! Utter rubbish.

I just hope (and frankly I assume) that the knowledge of the people on here is a lot better than whoever chose those pictures."

How to make friends and influence people, eh? :eek:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
For a laugh, here's my first post on that site

"Hi all,

I've just joined on here, as this looked like a great resource. I'm a spiders man (well, UK arachnids anyway), and my first impressions are not very good.

I went straight to the spiders section, and there is the featured species, Misumena vatia, with a picture of a Xysticus alongside it. The picture doesn't even match the species description given for Misumena vatia.

So I looked at the other pictures. Atypus affinis, about as unmistakeable a species as you can get - but the picture shows what looks like a juvenile Clubionid! Utter rubbish.

I just hope (and frankly I assume) that the knowledge of the people on here is a lot better than whoever chose those pictures."

How to make friends and influence people, eh? :eek:

Oooooh, you little tinker you:lmao:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Haha, what's your username on there?

Try the hotlink, it will only get deleted, but it's bank hols, so might take a few hours and you might get one useful post. Worth a try. There are some decent and knowledgable members on there. And even a spectacularly splendid herpetological genius who won't be able to help you out on daft insecty stuff.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Haha, what's your username on there?

Try the hotlink, it will only get deleted, but it's bank hols, so might take a few hours and you might get one useful post. Worth a try. There are some decent and knowledgable members on there. And even a spectacularly splendid herpetological genius who won't be able to help you out on daft insecty stuff.

If you look in the spiders section of the forum, you will see someone has been flooding all the threads :rolleyes:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Kudos to those WAB guys, despite the opening post, they've been really nice.

But enough of that. Check this out.....

27Aug201246.jpg

27Aug201245.jpg

Amazing creature, you can even see my reflection on his carapace.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I saw an odd one last week, couldn't get a photo not for want of trying. Just a fleeting glance.

1. Bright red was the most noticeable thing about it.
2. The whole thing was maybe 15-20mm long including a long slender abdomen that curled upwards in a hook shape.
3. Transparent wings I think (not sure) but couldn't see well enough to be sure if it had 1 or 2 sets. If pushed, I'd say 1 set.
4. Not the most elegant of fliers.

That's all I have to go on really, not sure if you can pin it down a bit???

**Edit** I'm looking at Scorpion flies at this moment and think that is it.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I saw an odd one last week, couldn't get a photo not for want of trying. Just a fleeting glance.

1. Bright red was the most noticeable thing about it.
2. The whole thing was maybe 15-20mm long including a long slender abdomen that curled upwards in a hook shape.
3. Transparent wings I think (not sure) but couldn't see well enough to be sure if it had 1 or 2 sets. If pushed, I'd say 1 set.
4. Not the most elegant of fliers.

That's all I have to go on really, not sure if you can pin it down a bit???

**Edit** I'm looking at Scorpion flies at this moment and think that is it.

I'm so glad you came up with Scorpion flies, as I was struggling a bit there.

Here's a pic for those that have never seen one of these great insects.
(not my picture, copyright as per the picture in the link)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE