The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
And one more (for now!!) Sorry 'bout the crap photo again.
I'm guessing this is some kind of Sawfly? I initially thought some kind of gall wasp, but they're usually alot smaller than this is? This was approx 25mm from head to tail, but it didn't hang around for me to get good details.

dsc06542a.jpg

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I am 'good' at different specimens are both these speckled woods?

Speckledwood.jpg

1st one is though glass

BF.jpg

BF3.jpg

2nd one avoiding the camera with great skill in a blackthorn

Mike

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Two from my garden pond. I am fairly sure this is not were you are 'supposed' to see them

Wspider1.jpg

Mike

The caterpillar has been identified. So, the spiders.

Well, it's a Lycosid, a group usually referred to as Wolf Spiders.There are at least 3 genera within that with species that routinely walk on water, notably the genus Pirata, or pirate spiders. However Pirata species tend to have pairs of very white dots on their abdomen, which this pic lacks, so I think it is a true wolf spider, Pardosa sp. Unfortunately there is just no way to identify it to species from markings (Dick Jones, author of the photographic guide to spdiers would disagree, but he's in a minority of 1). I'd need the specimen and a microscope to be more definite.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
So... What is this bug? Apologies for the appauling photo quality - I was on the move and so was s/he!

dsc06729a.jpg

dsc06730am.jpg

Most of my ID books are 'in the loft' as I'm still living outta boxes but in my Collins (Chinery's Complete guide to British Insects) there is no mention of it. Might it be a juvenile something?

Juvenile shield bug. Top right, page 75.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And one more (for now!!) Sorry 'bout the crap photo again.
I'm guessing this is some kind of Sawfly? I initially thought some kind of gall wasp, but they're usually alot smaller than this is? This was approx 25mm from head to tail, but it didn't hang around for me to get good details.

dsc06542a.jpg

Looks like a sawfly to me (it has a head like a brick, or like a hammerhead shark), but I've no idea after that. A sawflies book is on my shopping list. Might need some googling.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Thanks Harvestman (edit the waterwalking spider) this thread moves fast

I got as far as Wolf spider & stopped. Lots of these in my garden often seen basking in large numbers. Here are couple on dry land.

Spider.jpg
Spider1.jpg

Now I hope this is an easy one - not the nettle.

NSpider.jpg

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Harvestman said:
Juvenile shield bug. Top right, page 75.

Pg 75 in mine is Dragonflies, Sheild bugs on pg88. ISBN of my Collins is 9780007298990. First glances at the page of shield bugs had me stumped as the markings are not like any mature specimens. But if you're saying juvenile shield bug, then I'll plump for a juvenile Palomena prasina - Green Sheild Bug.

Infact, after finding the brilliant website: http://www.britishbugs.org.uk - it's probably a 4th instar nymph.

Do I sound like an entymologist now? :D

WOW! That site is great - here is one page alone of crib-cards for shield bugs in all their different stages.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Wow, that's a great link. Thank you.

You can call yourself an entymologist if you like, or even an entomologist :D

And yes, probably Green Shield Bug.

You're welcome... I just stumbled on it just now and from my amateur fauna ID interest, that is gonna be a goldmine!

With genus/species specific books being sold at an understandably hefty prices sites like that are invaluable to the amateur.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE