The 'What are you reading at the moment' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Just finished Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose" and then I found out his "98.6 degrees" book is centred around a survival kit (which he recommended as a starting point for the Urban stuff near the end of When All Hell Breaks Loose) so I started reading that.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
I just got finished with "Woodcraft and Camping" by George Washington Sears otherwise known as Nessmuk. Although its an old book it's a nice insight into how it was done back in the day. I wouldn't mind reading the above mentioned urban survival book. I'd like to read more on that subject as most books assume your in a forest.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I just got finished with "Woodcraft and Camping" by George Washington Sears otherwise known as Nessmuk. Although its an old book it's a nice insight into how it was done back in the day. I wouldn't mind reading the above mentioned urban survival book. I'd like to read more on that subject as most books assume your in a forest.

One of my favourite outdoors books, and hello to a fellow Hull bushcrafter :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson AGAIN - Nearly wet the bed last night :lmao: :lmao:

Ive read that one a few times. Very funny.

Just Finished The Road - Cormac McCarthy, Strange Book

Read that in one sitting. Very good prose. Tried some of his others, not as addictive

I started reading The Dice Man. I stopped when it started getting too weird for my liking and used it to test the penetration of some new rifle pellets from across the living room. Nobody ever need read that book.

:lmao: I keep beginning that one, but for some reason never get past the first few chapters. Its supposed to be a cult classic.

Henning Mankell, Depths.
Like Mankell. Try smillas sense of snow for well written nordic noir.

After London by Richard Jefferies on Kindle. 19c after the apocalyse stuff.

will try

Gerald Seymour - A Deniable Death. Brilliant read.

will try

I often have a couple or three books on the go, at the moment its The Minority Report, Phillip K Dick and Photoshop for Dummies.

Like PKD Do androids dream of electric sheep. Bit dissapointed by his short stories and Man in the high castle.

Just finished Nicholas Shakespeares The Dancer Upstairs. Very well written.
Have Walden or life in the woods next to the bedm, as someone bought it me for christmas

Just finishing "Virgin in the Ice" (Cadfael) (again), love that one

Try The morality play by Barry Unsworth Elen. Great Book

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I bought my nephew a couple of graphic novels, for his birthday [andread them them cover to cover before I wrapped them] :eek:
One was an adaptation of a HP Lovecraft novel from the 1930's, [the man who scares stephen king!]
At the mountains of madness, and was well cool!

Splendidly moustachioued Early Antarctic explorers find a hidden city and scary stuff!

At-the-Mountains-of-Madne-006.jpg

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
A Game of Thrones, just got the dvd's of season 1& 2, completely brilliant series, so got the Song of Fire and Ice box set. Loving it too. One of those rare books I don't want to put down.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just finished Camouflage by Joe Haldeman on my Kindle this morning, so I shall be starting something new tonight, not sure what yet, though Sky People by S.M. Stirling is a contender.

Hey Rik Pillar's of the Earth's a good read, bit daunting to start off with as it's such a brick of a book, but it soon captured me into the story very quickly. I think there's a sequel to it, though I could be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE