The 'What are you reading at the moment' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Facing the Ocean- Barry Cunliffe
King Arthur's Place in Prehistory- WA Cummins
Sharpe novels, again- Cornwell
Great Northern?- Arthur Ransome

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Just finished Camouflage by Joe Haldeman on my Kindle this morning, so I shall be starting something new tonight, not sure what yet, though Sky People by S.M. Stirling is a contender.

Hey Rik Pillar's of the Earth's a good read, bit daunting to start off with as it's such a brick of a book, but it soon captured me into the story very quickly. I think there's a sequel to it, though I could be wrong.
Haldeman is very good. Have you read 'The Forever War' or 'All My Sins Remembered'?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just found a long interesting list of recommended reads here...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/05/21/fiction-for-men-as-suggested-by-art-of-manliness-readers/

Quite U.S. based, for us this side of the pond, but loads of good recommendations. Read quite a few, but lots I quite fancy a go at.

Some good choices there, the second book on the list, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is a fantastic read, it follows several stories some of which occur during the second world war while the others in the modern world, code-breakers, commandos, u-boat crews, hackers and many more entertaining characters make an appearance.

:)

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I am reading " The last go round" by Ken Kesey a story about the Penleton round up in 1911. Got some great photos in it and it is loosely based on real event and real people.

Also "King rat" by James Clavell, a great read

The kids and I are also reading "Oath Breaker" from the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series.

Atb

Craig

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ReamviThantos
aha a fellow connoisseur, good man.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Man of Tanith
Do like a bit of lovecraft

Fellow Lovecraftians, I salute you. Cthulhu will rise.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

:)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Just finished Camouflage by Joe Haldeman on my Kindle this morning, so I shall be starting something new tonight, not sure what yet, though Sky People by S.M. Stirling is a contender.

Just finished Camoflage myself last night. Felt a bit disappointed as I did not think it was up to Haldemans usual standard.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Haldeman is very good. Have you read 'The Forever War' or 'All My Sins Remembered'?

The Forever War is in my top ten book list. Haven't read the latter one though. The sequels to Forever war were a major let down for me

Just finished Camoflage myself last night. Felt a bit disappointed as I did not think it was up to Haldemans usual standard.

Horses for course. I liked it but the ending was a bit too abrupt for me, but it was still an enjoyable read. Haven't read much of Haldeman's stuff I have to say, maybe just 4 or 5 of his books in total.

I'm just short of halfway through Alex Sparrow's "October Skies" at the moment. It's an easy read and keeps flitting back and forth between two eras - the mid-1800's and modern day with a common theme.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I agree, Forever War is a top notch book. but I also liked the sequels very much. I've just started HG Wells The sleeper awakes.

"London has grown to giant proportions. Skyscrapers tower all around. Great wind wheels revolve slowly above the city. Broadcasting and television are the method of communication, for there are no longer any books. In medicine, hypnotic suggestion is the universal nostrum.

It is to these startling new advances that Graham awakes from his trance. Startling, because he has been asleep for two hundred years...."

Sound familiar, and this was written in 1899.
EF16BCCA-E26F-47C9-9D30-D4F0256ABE66-256.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE