What are you reading right now?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hi folks. I thought it'd be interesting if we have one of these threads. Apologies if there's already one hidden away on the forum.

I'm reading The Ecology of Plants at the moment having just come off Trees Their Natural History by Peter A Thomas. Both are traditional textbooks (the former is 540 pages the latter was around 400). The Ecology of Plants covers individual physiological factors/stresses all the way to community level distribution, to global ecological patterns, paleoecology, climate change and so forth. It looks like a mix between college and degree level, with some statistical analysis and formulae in their too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0878932941?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

What about you?

:)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I 'm reading your thread. OK funny ha ha. Not a great reader myself. Get three books from the library, and take them
back next day,even if I have read a bit in the library, before taking them out. Not found anything that grips me for ages.
I spend most of my time on Bushcraft UK on my Mini I Pad, like now.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Nice wee thread :)

I'm reading "The Age of the Picts" by W.A. Cummins. Has a healthy balance between the archaeological and historical evidence, and the mystery surrounding them. Can't get the word 'Pictocentricity' out of my head. quality word coined by Prof Alcock

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I just started 3 new books this week, i like to try and make my books last so i read a bit of one and the jump to another it helps me stay attentive to the details and gives me time to think about what was read

Louis L'Amour - Last of the Breed = A fiction novel about an American pilot with Sioux ancestry who crashes in Russia, after escaping from a prison camp he tries to make it back to USA over land via the Bering Straight the path which his ancestors took with only his ancestral bush skills to survive the Siberian wilderness and escape the Yakut native who is leading the tracking party

Ian Niall - The Poachers Handbook = A book about traditional poaching skills fro people who love the countryside and only take sparingly what they need

Keith/Proenneke - One Man's Wilderness = The story of Richard Proenneke and his life on Twin Lakes Alaska where he built a log cabin

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Nice wee thread :)

I'm reading "The Age of the Picts" by W.A. Cummins. Has a healthy balance between the archaeological and historical evidence, and the mystery surrounding them. Can't get the word 'Pictocentricity' out of my head. quality word coined by Prof Alcock
Sounds great, Hamish. I haven't read that many archaeological books myself as I moved away from that study, but the last I read was The Ancient Celts by Cunliffe.

Pictocentricity is a brilliant word.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Got several on the go at the moment;

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell - great fun,
Spiritual dowsing by Sig Lonegran,
Revolution by Russell Brand - in turns thrilling and annoying,
The Walkers Guide to Outdoor Clues and Signs by Tristan Gooley - brilliant!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Surprised to see such a quick response. Good stuff. I think it might be beneficial if people were to attach a description of their current book so that people can get the general jist of it?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Always good to see what's on others bedstands. Good idea THOaken.
Not particularly bushcrafty for me at the moment but the ones on the go this week: -

Ways To Die In Glasgow. by Jay Stringer. Funny & fast jaunt through the underbelly of Glasvegas through the eyes of a female PI and a nutter.

The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge. by Harry Harrison. Classic SF and a series that it's taken me too long to get 'round to reading in non graphic form.

Medievil Europe. by H W C Davis. Not brilliant but some good info.

A Plain Cookery Book For The Working Classes. by Charles Elme` Francatelli. First published in 1852, ex royal cook teaching the poor to eat well and cheaply. I like old cookbooks and some good resources that can be put to use when cooking outside.

A Very Sad Letter. by Paul Kroeze. A true account of a pioneer woman in 1876 Kansas. Wasn't all romance scratching a living from the land.

Cheers for starting the thread, always a good way to get ideas on new things to read.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I don't get to read very often - I usually have a book sitting on the cistern and get 5 min instalments - the most recently finished was "The Jupiter Myth":- a crime set in London during Roman times.

I enjoyed it more than I though I would as it was a book bought for me, when I get books bought for me they invariably end up being disappointing.

I also started "Abraham Lincoln : Vampire Hunter" but have fallen out of that one at about 3/4 read and haven't been bothered to go back to.

Also the "carpet people" by Terry Pratchett , maybe half way through, a short story but very entertaining [as all his other books that I've read have been]

//////////
EDIT

Also at work [since I have a desk job] I've been listening to the audio books of "Earths Children" Jean M Auel - I'm on "The Plains of Passage" currently.

Another audiobook randomly came across was Kathie Reichs - "Virals".

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I try 2 have 3 on the go - thriller/sexy, reference/learning, country stuff - cannae whack Ian Niall imo - Poacher's Handbook & Trout from the Hills are true classics - not how to do it but lore, characters, & philosophising scattered among anecdotes, real life experience, & some tips.
Oh and then there's The Second Meadow, Archie Hill - he took a bet to survive for 3 months alone on an English private estate with just a pup tent & a .22 - again lots of nuggets re "what's it all about" tacked on to the survival practicalities.
These 3 are all re-readers for me.
Good thread idea BTW!

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Just started Whispering Wind Adventures In Arnhem Land by Syd Kyle-Little,only a little bit in .but a great read
Andrew

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just finished "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Very strange but absorbing tale set in a mythical post-Roman Britain.
Next up is "Red Dog" by Louis de Bernieres.

Z

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Star Carr, Life in Britain after the Ice Age-Nicky Milner et al
Lighter treatment of the Mesolithic settlement area than the Classic Star Carr- J D Clark. Very interesting and has the implication than the Mesolithics were more in charge of their environment that previously thought.

Various pulp American post-apocalyptic novels on Kindle, guns, bad government, egos at war.

Re-reading The Boyne Currach- Claidhbh O Gibne. History of and how to build a Boyne currach/coracle and on the build of a large currach.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Z14 zombie rules book 2. It's part of a trilogy by David achord.only read the first one cause someone mentioned it on here.chewing gum for the brain

Good idea for a thread by the way gonna subscribe too this one. Always looking for motivation in the reading department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE