What are you reading right now?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Currently I am reading "Wildwood" by R Deakin.
Also studying "Swedish Carving Techniques" by W Sundqvist
Just bought "Rupert Annual" 1985 (for my wife - honest)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
That W Sundqvist book is one of my favourite woodworking books

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I have been re-reading Horseback Archery by Kassai Lajos.

A superb book if you are an instinctive archer. It is a mixture of story, history, training suggestions and philosophy. It is really interesting how it can link globally diverse archery styles and techniques.

...and you don't need a horse, or a even a bow, to enjoy the book.

K

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Currently I am reading "Wildwood" by R Deakin.
Also studying "Swedish Carving Techniques" by W Sundqvist
Just bought "Rupert Annual" 1985 (for my wife - honest)

LOVED the Rupert annuals when I was young! And was that the copy of Wildwood that was for sale at the moot by any chance? I had my eye on that but managed to borrow it from the library last week after being sad that someone had already swiped it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just read 1984 for the second time in my life... its amazing to read when you consider when it was written. Orwell was either on loopy juice or he was a soothsayer!

He said himself that if he hadn't been so ill when he wrote 1984 it might not have been so gloomy. Dying in 1950 a year after publication he didn't have time to become much of a Tory but he was a product of his upbringing and The Road to Wigan Pier is a parody of Northern life pre-war.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Hi folks. I thought it'd be interesting if we have one of these threads. Apologies if there's already one hidden away on the forum.

I'm reading The Ecology of Plants at the moment having just come off Trees Their Natural History by Peter A Thomas. Both are traditional textbooks (the former is 540 pages the latter was around 400). The Ecology of Plants covers individual physiological factors/stresses all the way to community level distribution, to global ecological patterns, paleoecology, climate change and so forth. It looks like a mix between college and degree level, with some statistical analysis and formulae in their too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0878932941?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

What about you?

:)

any idea where I can get this cheap?56 quid seems a lot for a book , looks like a good read though?

denny 😊

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
any idea where I can get this cheap?56 quid seems a lot for a book , looks like a good read though?

denny ��

The problem is, this is an illustrated reference book. The production costs on these types of books are very high, and the print runs are quite low. £56 is quite a reasonable price for a quality illustrated book.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Watching. Encounters with humans and other animals. By Desmond Morris. Not a terrible read but not exactly paradigm shifting. And with the ankle biter Fantastic Mr Fox is this week's. And I'm probably enjoying it more than her!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Fantastic Mr Fox was one of my favourite books as a kid, i was so disappointed by the movie

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
i have a piece of software running as part of my browser that whenever i am looking at a price of something it automatically scans tinternet for a better value version and shows me up to ten different sellers and their prices, it is often very handy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Fantastic Mr Fox was one of my favourite books as a kid, i was so disappointed by the movie

Same here, and re reading it as an adult it's still brilliant! And getting someone like me (taught by all and sundry that foxes are vermin) to empathise with a Fox it must be good!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's probably because of that book that the fox is my favourite critter i'm always happy to spot when out night cycling

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
At the present I am reading:
1) Ashley book of knots
2) The Enciclopedia fo Knots
3) The Adept The Lodge of the Linx

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
The Last Kingdom, by Bernard Cornwell
One Mans Wilderness Sam Keith
Patrick Modiano Missing Person
Feral George Monbiot
Just finished A year in the Woods by Colin Elford.
Bernard Cornwells saxo series gets reread every couple of months, love it! They are making a TV series based on it very soon too :)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE