The 'What are you reading at the moment' thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Surprised your not yet into the Kraken Awakes yet Biker. I'm reading currently War in the Wilderness - Tony Redding about the Chindit campaign in Burma. The Wing chun Compendium to fix my form practice and Lux Haeresis by Daniel Schulke (don't ask).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Like John, I'm working my way through Wyndham's The Kraken Awakes. According to my Kindle I'm 28% through it and to be honest I'm finding it hard to capture my enthusiasm. Maybe the preliminary part of the story nees to be laid down before the main part of the book starts. Still enjoying it though.

I was halfway through Micheal Crichton's Jurassic park and paused that to start on Kraken.

Terry Pratchett eh? Well there's an author I really can't get into and I have tried too, had a few books of his passed over to me to read and at the risk offeding fans of his here I shall not pass judgement.

Kraken is a bit slow, to be honest, but it does get going eventually. It is a work of its time, like all of the Wyndham books. Styles of writing were very different.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
It would (Kraken) make a fantasic film if directed with authority. It is as harvestman points out a simmering pot which slow cooks to a very satisfying dish-in my opinion.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is as harvestman points out a simmering pot which slow cooks to a very satisfying dish-in my opinion.

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for, it's happened before with books with me, the story would plod along then you turn a page and wooosh you're taken off into the world within that book, I love it when that happens.

My thoughts exactly about the film, but you know full well someone withthe purse string's going to come along and say how can we milk this story for the maximum Dollars profit? Good stories get watered down into something just barely recognisable to the original book.

Anyway off my soap box now, I don't want to throw this thread off track by ranting.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Biker I could not agree more re the film transfer, it always seems to be a promotion of the film stars as opposed to a proper film story to entertain. That said the recent Prometheus was beautifull.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I'm currently revising with several Mears and wiseman books in prep for my two night camping challenge proposed by a fella on this forum.

I'm also reading The Children of Hurin, a Tolkien book set in the ancient history of middle earth. It's a little more subtle than tlotr's with more mature themes and there's plenty that happens in the wilderness

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Recently finished Emotional Literacy by Goleman, and Real Time Relationships by Molyneux. Also half way through Orlando by Virginia Woolf (homework set by a very good Eglish Teacher friend) and just been leafing through Owen Jones's Oak Swill Making - fascinating and suprisingly complex process!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Terry Pratchett eh? Well there's an author I really can't get into and I have tried too, had a few books of his passed over to me to read and at the risk offeding fans of his here I shall not pass judgement.

I'm similar - I did pick up a hardbacked signed 1st ed copy of Soul Music at a booty years ago (for £2!!!) and actually loved it, but the rest of the Discworld series I could never really get into. However, when I picked up his 'Nation' (surely one of his finest swan songs so far...) it had me in tears at the end. No matter on peoples opinions of him, he is a gifted and skillful writer who will be remembered for many many moons to come...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Second World War by Antony Beevor.

Engrossing, provides more background information about the goings on in the far east before, during and after the war than books of this type usually do.

I have (or have had) a few Japanese friends, they're nice people. But reading through this I can see why some folks really really hate the Japanese.

Last edited:
At the minute i am reading arrowland by paul kane
primitive technology ancestral skills
and woodcraft and camping by Bernard S Mason

once i have finished one of these i will start on the traditional bowyers bible and the history of the long bow

waiting for the hunger games to come through on a request and gonna be getting the first of the emberverse series as recommended on here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE