The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Only just watched the second episode and i have to say it was interesting viewing...quite honest in parts. Obviously its for primetime tv so there's a pressure for it to be entertaining, but i like that they're having to figure it all out.
I haven't found mr grylls too grating either, looking forward to episode 3

Cheers, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Enjoyed it, and the opinions of the members here as well. I agree with the comment earlier about people dynamics being the most interesting potential for the show, which is why I am also enjoying the discussions on here. Hoping the next episode is not too dramatised, you can tell from the focus on the long haired chap that they are trying to get you emotionally attached to him and it looks a though he struggles in the next episode. Time will tell.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I have, it does. We used to catch fish when I was yachting around the oceans and we ate them pretty much straight away because within a few hours they would be smelling unpleasant without refrigeration. We didn't have the problem of flies at sea but no doubt that island has a good collection of bugs that will bring in extra bacteria.
Ok so where did the the gill-net's come from ?. Something smells a bit fishy to me bud.
Yea but I know what you mean about flies and bacteria, these guys haven't even sorted out a latreen area yet, did you hear some fo them complaining about the smell of s##t around camp.
Maybe BG should have left them a sovel.

Last edited:

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I agree with a lot of the things you guys are saying, there are certain things that are starting to appear in the programme like the gill nets but due to the editing we don't know if this is something the guys on the Island have done or they are getting help from BG?
As for the guys on the Island it's easy for us to comment about what they should have done regarding the water situation and fire but they are just ordinary guys who don't do the outdoor things like Bushcraft and Survival so they are going to make a lot of mistakes, it's only when things get desperate they seem to get there act together, one thing for sure they need to work as a team, I also think they need someone strong to take charge and get things organised some of the guys was just letting others get on with trying to light a fire whilst others could have been trying to put some kind of shelter together, but as I say they will learn by there mistakes because if they don't in real life they die and BG will not let that happen.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Can someone answer a question for me?

I was reading an island survival book some time ago and it was going on about how great coconuts are from a survival point of view as they provide both food and liquid, the only disadvantage being more than two a day has a large laxative effect.
So the South Pacific islands pretty much all have coconut trees due the ability of coconuts to float across a sea and take route wherever they wash up, and I was pretty damn sure I saw a number of palms in the background of the shots that could have been coconut trees. I guessing there's a fairly high chance they were as the island seemed pretty ideal (coconuts can handle high salinity and grow better in places with high humidity and sunlight and a fair amount of rain, and judging by the presence of the jungle and freshwater rain isn't too uncommon on that island).

My question is why do you think they chose not to harvest the coconuts - does it make for better TV to have them all starving and thirsty on the first couple of days - or am I just being stupid (trust me it's happened before ;) )and maybe there's a seasonal variation in coconut harvest or a good reason there might not be any on the island?

Cheers

thomasyale

May 27, 2013
Keswick
definitely entertaining show but somehow feel some clever editing has been done as per most reality television for entertainments sake... not a bad thing however

Why didn't they cut them down on the first day? Seems they've been there for a few days before they even realised they were there.. To be honest I think the questions we are asking can all be put down to a case of seriously bad editing on the show.. Eg, nets in the water before we even seen them with a net, coconuts lying on the beach in full view before we saw them getting cut down, no food or water for the first 24 hours when the coconuts were readily available etc.. Although the show is interesting, it's just incredibly badly put together..

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Why didn't they cut them down on the first day? Seems they've been there for a few days before they even realised they were there.. To be honest I think the questions we are asking can all be put down to a case of seriously bad editing on the show.. Eg, nets in the water before we even seen them with a net, coconuts lying on the beach in full view before we saw them getting cut down, no food or water for the first 24 hours when the coconuts were readily available etc.. Although the show is interesting, it's just incredibly badly put together..

Yea i think you are right. They are editing it into a linear time frame that makes it look like they are only tackling one task at a time when in reality with 13 guys you would divide the work and achieve much more in a shorter time frame.

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Ah sorry my bad only seen the first one so far, they were all sitting around complaining of thirst and hunger and all i could think was 'pretty sure there are coconuts over there', cheers for setting me straight on that.

I agree i guess its just poor editing, maybe they're trying to focus on how the guys approach each task separately rather than giving us a view of what everyone's doing at the same time and how they organised it? Still a little confusing.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I think the ex-copper will have pulled his weight without anyone realising, the ability to quietly resolve conflict (often sub-consciously and in the background) and having grown-ups to influence the youngsters (often sub-consciously and in the background) should not be underestimated.

On Days 1 & 2 when the young fit lads were draining their energy and sweating over the firelighting, he was resting.

That isn't being lazy, it is conserving energy. An important difference.

He was also chosen to preserve the forensic scene when matey-boy gets eaten.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Days 1 & 2 when the young fit lads were draining their energy and sweating over the firelighting, he was resting.

I've got a few mates that use the same tactic when it comes time to get the drinks in at the Bar. I so appreciate that they are looking out for my best interests.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I think the ex-copper will have pulled his weight without anyone realising, the ability to quietly resolve conflict (often sub-consciously and in the background) and having grown-ups to influence the youngsters (often sub-consciously and in the background) should not be underestimated.

On Days 1 & 2 when the young fit lads were draining their energy and sweating over the firelighting, he was resting.

He was also chosen to preserve the forensic scene when matey-boy gets eaten.

pity he don't follow that advice, he's got the biggest loudest mouth in there.

in other words on days 1 & 2 he was doing nothing.

yeah that important difference is called not helping.

he was chosen to get on everyones nerves.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
He's my friend's friend's dad. She says her friend is mortified and really embarrassed at how he's acting/being portrayed (however it is supposed to be accurate, to how he is in real life). I didn't think that he came across too badly. I'd have been more annoyed at someone crapping near camp.
Looks like next week's is being set up for some group conflict with the call centre worker, actually quite enjoying it in a shout at the TV and shake my head in a I'd do much better way whilst sitting in my central heated house, watching my flatscreen TV, drinking ice cold lager whilst eating a huge meal. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE