The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Looks like next week's is being set up for some group conflict with the call centre worker, actually quite enjoying it in a shout at the TV and shake my head in a I'd do much better way whilst sitting in my central heated house, watching my flatscreen TV, drinking ice cold lager whilst eating a huge meal. ;)

yeah that call centre guy showed his true colours when he said and to quote ''i want to catch a crocodile it's my main goal for the island'', of all the reasons to be there, ye gods what a ****

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
yeah that call centre guy showed his true colours when he said and to quote ''i want to catch a crocodile it's my main goal for the island'', of all the reasons to be there, ye gods what a ****

I can sort of see where he is coming from, I mean if you catch and kill a crocodile it's something to tell your mates. Rather than "I spent all my time moaning and being a useless ****". I thought they handled killing the Croc well, I was feeling a bit sorry for the poor bugger as they were dragging it out. I pegged him as breaking from the start but I think they have edited that way.

Been enjoying it from the start can't wait to see how the conflict is handled next week. I'm also not a fan of the copper.

Reece

N

Nomad

He was also chosen to preserve the forensic scene when matey-boy gets eaten.

The brewing conflict bits in the preview at the end of episode 2 make more sense now. They decide on matey-boy, being the youngest, as the most likely to cook up nice and tender. He gets wind of the plan, does a runner, and it takes them until week 3 to catch him...

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
He's my friend's friend's dad. She says her friend is mortified and really embarrassed at how he's acting/being portrayed
Television always does that which is why I wouldn't want to participate in any supposedly fly-on-the-wall programme. Does anyone recall the Hotel series that they filmed at the Adelphi in Liverpool? I ran several big conventions there so I new many of the senior staff quite well, and they caricatures that the television people portrayed bore little more than a passing resemblance to the real people.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The continuity editing does leave a lot to be desired.

They are all a bit hopeless but I think that's really the point isn't it? The general population thinks meat comes from Tesco in little poly trays. Without the days training I think many would curl up in a ball. However what does surprise me is the apparent lack of any organisational skills and the bossy ex copper that would be King, would send me all Lord of the Flies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
(I don't visit the site much these days so this point may have been made already but ....)

I am finding it interesting to watch but I just think the whole thing could be so much more interesting and informative if for example:

- at appropriate points eg where they reject some wood because it is too damp, there is a comment that the wood is fine so long as you remove the bark (say), or in some way there is an informed view given on what they might have done better, or otherwise information on what they might have done, or - for example - why they kept getting the bow drill wrong

- there was some indication of what the real resources of the island are (other than stuff washed up on the beach) and how you might use them

- pointing out that they correctly identified the need to boil water to help keep them healthy but that they are taking a very long time to sort out latrine arrangements and so increasing the risk of disease (but then ...when was the last time you saw anyone visiting a toilet - or even saying they were going, on a 'normal' TV programme:))

I felt the same about that programme ?18 months ago about the bloke who was left in Alaska for a few weeks - a great opportunity to inform - as well as entertain - missed.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Watched episode 2 last night. The comments about masturbating and 80's style female bush -craft mean I can't watch it with my kids again! That's annoying.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Watched episode 2 last night. The comments about masturbating and 80's style female bush -craft mean I can't watch it with my kids again! That's annoying.

Of course you can still watch it with your children. Just tell them the crocodile was very chewy and the naughty man was masticating.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Bud they were using the W version and it's damn hard to come up with something that rhymes with a 4 letter word that you might have one of behind the rocks!

All suggestions gratefully received!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i watched 4 minutes accidentally because it happened to be on the screen during one of my very rare moments where i sit down indoors to relax....found it abhorrent....got up, walked back out to my workshop.

i wont say much more because i'll get banned....but if i ever catch my son watching anything to do with bear grylls i'll disown him.

s

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Really this is not a "Bear Grylls" show. It's another fly on the wall reality show with Bear doing voice over and occasionally cutting in with a bit of Pep.
I quite like it but my forehead is sore from slapping it last night. Episode 1 had I and the kids screaming derision at the Survivors for an hour. That was good clean family fun.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Bud they were using the W version and it's damn hard to come up with something that rhymes with a 4 letter word that you might have one of behind the rocks!

All suggestions gratefully received!

The man slipped and caught his foot between two rocks and it needed a good yank to pull it out. It was stuck hard and fast, so it needed a lot of yanking.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
good clean family fun??????? you mean apart from the excessive swearing, moaning and incompetence? we'll have to disagree on this one.....

as i said...'anything=disown'

and as for chief scout...omg...dont start me....he shouldve tried out for james bond instead...the guys a farce and so's his career....i've seen women on street corners who do less of a certain something than he does....

if i ever have the misfortune of meeting his cheesey grin and he holds out his hand for a shake....well....

ok...back to work...morally correct work...happy to be in the camps of Sir Mears and Sir Caine....

s

ps....as i just said to FGYT....:

do you know what, i'm a little disappointed in myself for that rant....i've always managed to stay away from the ray/bear silliness....but that programme did me in....the straw that broke....

i apologise...it won't happen again lol

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE