The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Well it's frustrating me, but it's also entertaining me.

Their disregard of personal safety, lack of prioritising essentials, & failure to identify & capatalise on available resources is something that will probably irk all of us on here throughout.

So far I haven't seen any clues that they grew up with the works of Lofty and the likes as bed time reading, but I guess if they'd shipped out a bunch of guys skilled in survival & comfortable in the outdoors it wouldn't make such mass apeal & screamworthy TV

39 Mins in there were a couple of large floating whitish objects in the water & several smaller green & white / blu & white.

My initial thoughts were top floats from a section of net, if they've got the sync right they hadn't shown them making any nets at that point; it looks just "all a bit too close together" to be naturally floating debris without it being attached together somehow.

As to the presenter, couldn't care less, just pleased programes like this get made.

I'm in for the long haul on this one :)

Yep I agree with you I watched it with my 15 year old daughter and it was good entertainment and thats what it is meant to be .Reality would always be a lot different and filming it would be considered inhumane.That snake would have been good protein by day 3 I would be eying up the old copper lol

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Yep I agree with you I watched it with my 15 year old daughter and it was good entertainment and thats what it is meant to be .Reality would always be a lot different and filming it would be considered inhumane.That snake would have been good protein by day 3 I would be eying up the old copper lol

Surely you wouldn't be missing the opposite sex that much after three days? :D

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I think I came to all of this a bit late, but I saw the last bit of an episode last night (Thursday). At first I thought -12 hours to get an ember with three of them on it -Crikey !! but I understand from the comments above that these guys are not necessarily bushy types. Like some of you, i have a slightly wrinkly nose when BG is discussed, but there's something about him I can't help liking. To be honest, I think the world would be a much less interesting place without him and his TV work. Maybe its not survival advice, but it is better than beastenders.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The question should be rather "is it better than pottering about in the workshop"?

I got some useful jobs done :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive only just caught up with it. I enjoyed it. Not really about bear at all. just a bit of voice over. Some interesting characters in there too. Im liking the young farmer, Joe??? Got a great work ethic and i think he'll do well.

N

Nomad

I thought it was okay. I didn't get the impression they were all lying around sunbathing - more like flaked out and knackered due to the heat. Watching them bowdrill was a bit frustrating. Agreed on the poor safety attitude - at the beach, one jumps in and gets stung by a jellyfish on the face, then another gets a puncture wound in the foot. They were acting like they were on holiday in the Costa Del Sol.

I think the call centre guy might crack, or at least plummet downwards into despair for a while.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
When they caught the fish tonight they didn't eat them coz they were apparently rotten after 1 night. Surely they could of just cooked them thoroughly to kill any nasty stuff, held their nose and eaten them?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
When they caught the fish tonight they didn't eat them coz they were apparently rotten after 1 night. Surely they could of just cooked them thoroughly to kill any nasty stuff, held their nose and eaten them?

Cooking doesn't remove the toxins made by rotting. Or at least used it as bait to catch something else. How about netting the pelicans too. Fair play on getting the Caiman though,,,

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
they should have had someone permanently watching the net to ensure they were not beaten to the fish by anything else, a bit of string attached to the net and held in fingers will 'tremble' when a fish is caught, you can't eat a fish if something else eats it first. They took no notice of the tide when setting net. The pelicans indicated where the fish were. One point mesh size is critical to size of fish it will catch but we couldn't see size of mesh.

May 16, 2011
Perth
Im pretty ****** of they didnt put that poor caiman out of its misery. Instead they tied it up and dragged it back to camp to decide who kills it!!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They spent a lot of time and energy on bow drill when at least 2 of them had glasses and they found bottles on the beach, they also commented how hot it was surely one of them must have lit bits of paper with a magnifying glass as a kid ,there are other ways to purify water other than fire as im sure most people on here know, also most seemed to be laying around doing nothing, others going for a swim, personally I think these numptys were picked for entertainment value nothing more.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
they should have had someone permanently watching the net to ensure they were not beaten to the fish by anything else, a bit of string attached to the net and held in fingers will 'tremble' when a fish is caught, you can't eat a fish if something else eats it first. They took no notice of the tide when setting net. The pelicans indicated where the fish were. One point mesh size is critical to size of fish it will catch but we couldn't see size of mesh.

you just dont get that level of sensitivity with nets like that. You also dont want to sit in a mangrove overnight surrounded by predators. Do bear in mind these guys have no skills and that is the point of the show. Its easy to sit at home with knowledge and level criticism but these guys are winging it as they go.

I would have kept the cayman alive too. i wouldnt want to butcher it untill i could get somewhere with better sanitary conditions or in this case less minging

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England

Some of the toxins produced by bacterial action are not destroyed by heat, I wouldn't have eaten it. The real mistake they made was in not cooking and eating the fish as soon as they got them out of the sea, they left them for the whole day in tropical heat. On the other hand I once made a similar mistake, it's very easy to forget just how fast things go bad under those conditions.

May 16, 2011
Perth
Ill have to disagree with you there, putting a knife through the poor things skull isnt going to contaminate the meat. common sense would tell you to bring a knife if you were checking a net for food. Even if you only had 1 knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE