Spring BushMoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Some questions for those that have used this site before.

I can see from some of the pictures posted that there is coniferous plantation but is there any broad leaf woodland? What about other terrain?

The map shows quite a bit of woodland surrounding the site, is this available for foraging?

What is the firewood situation like on site? Do we need to bring our own?

How far is the parking from the bivvi area?

What time can we turn up on Friday? I've got a fairly long journey and I'd like to do it before the traffic builds up too much if possible.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Wayland, having visited the site I can answer some of your Q's

The main camping site is nearly all coniferous. There is some broadleaf at the edges but as far as I can remember its thinned out and the older stuff is mostly old beech, so not ideal for sleeping under. There is also an old flint mine down that end (fenced off)

The parking is about 50 metres from the woods, no distance at all.

There's normally a big pile of split logs and cordwood on site and at the xmas moot there was other smaller dead stuff about as well.

On the oposite side of the road to the camping site there is another piece of woodland that is part coniferous and part broadleaf - again, at the xmas moot we were free to have a bimble round this, forage if we wanted etc - not sure if the situation will be the same at this moot.

I'm just gutted I can't be there :(

I've been to the site a few times. Dommy is spot on with his info - never knew about the flint mine!

I've finally been given the green light to go and I shall be bringing Too Much Kit Jnr with me.

Hope to arrive late Friday night or at the worst early Saturday morning.

Looking forward to meeting old friends and new.

Phil.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Yeah, I was looking forward to it as well particularly to meet some of the guys from further afield (such as your god self) but it fell on the weekend I'd already arranged to go to my folks. :(

The summer moot perhaps?

I never knew about the flint mine either til Rod showed me it last time we were there.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yeah, I was looking forward to it as well particularly to meet some of the guys from further afield (such as your god self) but it fell on the weekend I'd already arranged to go to my folks. :(

The summer moot perhaps?

I never knew about the flint mine either til Rod showed me it last time we were there.

I think that's the first time I've ever been described as a god.....:lmao:

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
can the position reference fires at the Moot be confirmed, the thread on the Xmas moot mentioned communal firepits.
Are fireboxes and kelly kettles allowed:confused:
thanks
Chas

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I think that's the first time I've ever been described as a god.....

Is this not you wayland?

thor.gif

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi chas brookes.

With reference to your question, there are communal firepits to try and keep the fire risk to a minimum. There are nine of these that can be dotted around. Communal cooking and social action with your neighbours makes for good conversation (I hope!).
I have no problem with fireboxes, Kelly kettles, Trangias, gas cooking provided these are not left burning un-attended and do not scar the forest floor.

Open cooking/warming fires must NOT be lit outside a firepit. I am sure that you will understand my concerns.:eek:

There will be a communal area with an open fire. This is positioned away from the forest debris and under a parachute.

I hope this answers your question.
Cheers.

Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Wayland.

I did try and send a PM but became confused as I prodded some wrong buttons therefor not sure if you recieved it!

Most of the questions have been answered by fellow visitors so not much to add here.

I will be opening the gates at 0900 hrs on Friday and you can pitch up any time from then on. The traffic becomes whacky from mid afternoon onwards so try to get nearby before 1600 hrs. It is un nerving to be nearly lost and looking for that elusive junction with some BMW lunatic hooting behind you:eek: :eek:

Looking forward to meeting.
Cheers from Swyn.

D

duenorth

hello im a new member on bcuk. :beerchug:

Apart from the few things ive read and watched im fairly new to bushcraft but am hugely fascinated on the subject. The bushmoot coming up sounds like a great way of trying out the things ive learnt myself and to learn from the more experienced of you and to meet similar minded people. Is there any places left and if so what should i take? Ive bought an amount of things related to bushcraft but not sure what will be needed for the weekend. :dunno: :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
<snip>Is there any places left and if so what should i take? Ive bought an amount of things related to bushcraft but not sure what will be needed for the weekend. :dunno: :D

I don't know about spaces, someone else will probably help there.

As for what to take, chuck everything you have in the car and bring it just in case, you won't be far from the vehicle so if you find you need something unexpected it wont be far away.

The most critical items are shelter and sleeping kit, cooking kit is next in importance but you can get by on food that doesn't need cooking.

Beyond that, an inquiring mind and a willingness to try new things is very useful.

If you need anything that you do not have, post up here and someone can probably lend you something to get you through, I certainly have plenty of spare kit.

Don't go shopping until you know what you will need and the best way to find that out is to give it a go.

I think there are a few of us bringing our children.

I know only too well that this is last minute but is there anbody interested in doing a couple of educational/bushcrafty "workshops" for the youngsters?

Be good to see the kids get something positive from the weekend and leave the event with some new skills or knowledge.

I'll be glad to add my support and help.

Phil.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yes there's some places left, it would be great to have you :D

The key to the Moots is just asking if you want to know something, there's nearly always someone that can help out and many a fantastic workshop has been a spur of the moment thing.

D

duenorth

thanks for the info wayland, ill stuff my bag with what ive already got and see what ill end up using when hopefully i get there if theres spaces. Ive tried paying from the website shop but the page just refreshes when i click add to basket. Does this mean the places has run out or.... if anyone knows let me know please. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE