Some people should not......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
true story talking to friend a in yahoo messenger . friend b calls in , told to talk to a while i made a cuppa , came back to find him shouting at pc saying the ignorant so so is not replying

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I will tell one at my own expense. I was working in the same office at the IT guys, for my local Probation Service. I was running large information queries through our database via a custom build query engine. I had 25 of them to do. When I got to about 12, the IT guys started to get phone calls from staff all over the county, reporting their system running slowly. They couldn't explain it. I carried on. At about 15 queries running, the entire system crashed, bringing down the probation service network, county-wide. Calls flooded in from angry staff, and the IT guys were baffled.

Then I said "So, guys, these queries that I am running. Should I be shutting them down when they finish before I start the next one?"

They started throwing things at me.

I shut things down, and the network came back up.

:twak:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I used to laugh at my 72 year old Mom who even though she uses a PC at work and has been on basic computing courses always assumes her laptop has to be "on the internet" before she can do anything like write a report in word or whatever. I stopped laughing when I got my last laptop which was Win 8. After 20 years of pretty much knowing what I was doing was totally stumped so I sent it back and got a second hand Win 7 laptop. Now I am happy again but have also installed Linux Ubuntu on it as if I have to learn something new and complicated it might as well be a free system not one that costs a small fortune.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's quite sweet in a sad way really. I had a great aunt who I'd said to that I would fax a letter to Australia for her (way back in the early 90's). She didn't really understand as a few days later she handed me an envelope (sealed) with things in it for the family in Oz. I had to take the time to explain to her how it all worked but I could tell she wasn't getting it. So I faxed the letter and paid the postage on the rest of the stuff.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I used to laugh at my 72 year old Mom who even though she uses a PC at work and has been on basic computing courses always assumes her laptop has to be "on the internet" before she can do anything like write a report in word or whatever. I stopped laughing when I got my last laptop which was Win 8. After 20 years of pretty much knowing what I was doing was totally stumped so I sent it back and got a second hand Win 7 laptop. Now I am happy again but have also installed Linux Ubuntu on it as if I have to learn something new and complicated it might as well be a free system not one that costs a small fortune.
Me too. I do software testing and QA so I'm pretty good at picking up a new system but I find W8 horrible to use. I am right now experimenting with Ubunto on this machine, it's nice to be able to run it from a memory stick and not interfere with the rest of the machine. I laughed when I bought a reconditioned small laptop recently and the vendor offered W7 or a downgrade to W8 :lmao:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Worst part is it is not just computers here is my confession (as much for my own therapy through venting as much as anything else).

All last week i had a problem between the tool box and the tools regarding fixing my bike, the rear derailleur was playing up so i took it off, examined it 'professionally' and declared it properly broken, so I forked out £60 for an upgrade replacement, went to install it and got halfway and 'professionally' declared it non compatible with my fancy new bike, called myself every name under the sun for 5 days for wasting my time effort and money convinced i was correct, yesterday i took a fresh look at the broken one and realised it was jammed due to grass wound repeatedly around a moving section, took it apart and cleaned it and it is working perfect, so, i go back to the bike and go to remove the half installed non compatible unit, undone a screw and realised why it appeared non compatible as it slid in line with my rear wheel correctly, connected the cable and it is fully working, so now i am £60 out of pocket, spent a week without my new bike working for nothing, total tunnel vision. I put on over half a stone in weight as cycling is my only form of proper exercise, fury is not the word.

Sadly i have no excuse i have been a cycle mechanic since i was 7, that's 32 years of continuous experience in the field on a full range of cycles, granted these days i do get angry the longer i am down on the floor working on them due to it aggravating the back and causing pain but i have to rise above this or i can't have a life or do anything that involves using my back so it can't be an excuse, i am calm now and bike is working, bonus is I now have got a lovely top end rear derailleur for sale now if anyones interested, btw it has just had a full 'professional' clean and servicing and has only been 3 months since new, sometimes i am my own worst enemy ;) can i blame being old yet?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
P.I.C.N.I.C. :- problem in chair not in computer

Keyboard chair interface error

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

While working at a university the IT dept's helpdesk referred to problems from clueless callers as an I.D.ten.T error. It's not until you substitute the word "ten" for the number does it become apparent. :lmao: (Go on, write it out)

Blonde goes to a garage to collect her car which had been in for a repair for losing power.

The mechanic soon has it running perfectly fine.

The blonde is pathetically grateful and says "So what's the story?"

Mechanic replies. "Oh just cr@p in the carburetor."

Blonde pauses for a moment, blushes, then asks "So how often do I need to do that?"

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Speaking as both a pilot and someone with an engineering degree, but British, I can only conclude the above to be contained to the United States.

In the interests of harmony between nations, I'll say nothing further.

Well said.

What a stupid and insulting thread. I can't strip and fix a car engine so does that mean I should not drive? No of course not, I can drive fine without knowing how an engine works.

Try explaining to your brother in law the simple solution to his issues instead of slagging him off on a public forum for crying out loud :confused:

Before anyone asks, I'm very computer literate and have built my own machines for the past three decades...but needed to learn skills to do so :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well said.

What a stupid and insulting thread. I can't strip and fix a car engine so does that mean I should not drive? No of course not, I can drive fine without knowing how an engine works.

Try explaining to your brother in law the simple solution to his issues instead of slagging him off on a public forum for crying out loud :confused:

Before anyone asks, I'm very computer literate and have built my own machines for the past three decades...but needed to learn skills to do so :)

To counter, would you not expect a driver to know where the oil goes as opposed to the petrol/diesel? Would you expect them to know what a flat tire looks like?
How about a loud banging noise coming from the engine or a warning light on the dashboard?

One things that drives me nuts is the folk who say "I dont want to get all technical I just want to know how to do X or Y, just want it to work!"
It is a tool at the end of the day either read the manual or dont use it. Take an interest atleast or stick to paper and pen/film and stop complaining.

A computer or digital camera is a revolution and we are lucky to live in an age where they are accessible. It only takes some basic understanding and a bit reading to access these wonderful tools.

Funny side yes, more arrogant and belligerent side I see all the time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......One things that drives me nuts is the folk who say "I dont want to get all technical I just want to know how to do X or Y, just want it to work!"
It is a tool at the end of the day either read the manual or dont use it. Take an interest atleast or stick to paper and pen/film and stop complaining.....

Why? I don't expect the general public to know or care how a tv works. They just want to turn it on, click on the channel and watch. That's the level they're shooting for with computers now. We're not there yet, but guess what. The company that eventually provides that will be the one in demand; not the company that demands the customer learn their system.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why? I don't expect the general public to know or care how a tv works. They just want to turn it on, click on the channel and watch. That's the level they're shooting for with computers now. We're not there yet, but guess what. The company that eventually provides that will be the one in demand; not the company that demands the customer learn their system.

Do enjoy our arguments mate :)
A computer is a tool, an amazing multifunction device it's not a tv it is interactive at its least. I would not expect to pick up a draw knife and start flapping my gums when it doesn't make me a bow. I do my homework I practice and I take an interest.
Using a computer or digital camera requires a basic knowledge of file structure, interfaces, operating systems, graphic packages. If you don't want to have to learn all of this you can always use instant film or get the developer to do the hard work for you.
Using a computer requires knowledge of not just the kit you a have in front of you but knowledge of how the interweb works. We don't really need a more simple approach as kids already know about this stuff and will be second nature.
Both my parents have taken to technology well because they have been willing to learn.
As said above its the folks that curse when things go wrong without any interest in learning why.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do enjoy our arguments mate :)
A computer is a tool, an amazing multifunction device it's not a tv it is interactive at its least. I would not expect to pick up a draw knife and start flapping my gums when it doesn't make me a bow. I do my homework I practice and I take an interest.
Using a computer or digital camera requires a basic knowledge of file structure, interfaces, operating systems, graphic packages. If you don't want to have to learn all of this you can always use instant film or get the developer to do the hard work for you.
Using a computer requires knowledge of not just the kit you a have in front of you but knowledge of how the interweb works. We don't really need a more simple approach as kids already know about this stuff and will be second nature.
Both my parents have taken to technology well because they have been willing to learn.
As said above its the folks that curse when things go wrong without any interest in learning why.

Partially agreed. But for some people it is indeed nothing more to them than a tv. And they are waiting for the day when all they have to do is give simple verbal commands. And yes, that day will come.

And yes, I do like a friendly argument. But only when it stays friendly. :) That's why you're one of the ones who are enjoyable to argue with (I suppose in these cases, debate might be a better word though)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE