Technical Support

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i love to wind them up.

them: what operating system are you running sir.
me: Im running cornish pasty 3.1 with hp brown sauce 1.6 on a separate partition. Are you familiar with it????
them: no sir we only deal with windows
me: oooh great, my windows are really dirty, can you clean them?
them: no we clean your registry
me: cool let me go and dig out my wedding certificate
them: we are talking about computer operating systems
me ahh i get you, i was just kidding
them: so what operating system do you have
me: i have ubuntu, its like umbongo that they drink in the congo but you cant drink it.
them: ubuntu is linux
me: ahh how do i get windows
them: you have to install them on a disk
me: thats strange, last time i called everest and they brought them on a lorry
them: hangup

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Anyone who rings our house phone who I don't already know gets asked if they have ever heard of the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and could they please remove out number from their calling list. Just saying that usually takes them off their script and they lose where they were.
Nobody ringing up gets details off us.

We registered with the TPS (Telephone Preferance Service) years ago. Seems to work well, maybe 1 doddgy call a year! For anyone interested here's the link http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
We registered with the TPS (Telephone Preferance Service) years ago. Seems to work well, maybe 1 doddgy call a year! For anyone interested here's the link http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

We registered too, get about 5 call per day, and when tasked they more often than not claim that I or my phone provider has to do the blocking not them, and then get abusive when I tell them they're wrong

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks for the link me and swmbo were at our wits end with sales calls always when we're trying to get the kids to bed!!!!! And the most annoying one is the 'chap' who insists on asking for the person who hasn't lived at this address for about 8 years!!!!! Only just registered so will be interested to see how long it takes.....
Thank you again for the link.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
We registered too, get about 5 call per day, and when tasked they more often than not claim that I or my phone provider has to do the blocking not them, and then get abusive when I tell them they're wrong

I think it takes a while to kick in. If it has been a while I think there's a complaints procedure on the site.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Worst case, change your phone number (BT will do it free if you are getting hassled sometimes)and register the new one with TPS. We always put a new number on when we move house and register it - not had more than a couple of calls in four years.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Because of the missus job we are ex directory and the number is withheld at the exchange. We also never put it on any online forms or give it out to people we don't know. Saves us the hassle of getting her patients calling her in the middle of the night because they have a sniffle. :rolleyes:

We very rarely get cold calling at home. Although when I was working and in direct contact with the public I used to get great pleasure in winding these people up. 7-10 calls a day ( 2 or 3 from the same company was also normal) was a usual day so it brought a bit of humour into a dull job.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
nooooooooooooooo its a scam, I get a few cold calls a week and it really is a pain. What my wife does is add the number to the phone contacts and puts dont answer under the number. once she just replied, "The jobs done, but there is blood everywhere" got a reply of oh and then the person hung up. Funny as I thourght.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Usually the other kind of windows calls I get, the double-glazed ones, I told the last lot I couldn't help as I was burgling the place, but I'd leave a note for the householders as they'd be needing new patio doors.

Business calls, I get about five a week offering to put me at the top of the front page of Google searches. Either that or 'business directories' I can subscribe to for only £100 a year. Those ones I counter-propose giving them 15% of all the extra business they're assuring me will come my way. Potential punters must be catching on because the last one or two let fly with a string of frustrated obscenities, only for me to then say, 'Well tell you the truth you had convinced me, but if you're going to swear like that then no thanks'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE