Iceland 2014 - A Roadtrip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Iceland is a country still in formation. Sitting on a hotspot over the Mid Atlantic Ridge where the Earth's crust is literally being torn apart by monumental forces, the evidence of that drama is written in the extraordinary geology that presents itself at every turn.

Our plan was to make a circular tour of Iceland to get a real flavour of the landscape, not just the tourist hotspots but some of the less well known places as well. We wanted to travel "out of season" to avoid the crowds and we would hire a camper van to give us flexibility and a loose schedule.

Happy-Camper.jpg

Our flight brought us safely into Keflavik International and we were met by a cheerful representative from "Happy Campers", the company we were hiring the vehicle from. He responded patiently to the barrage of questions I pestered him with as he drove us into Reykjavik to collect our mobile home for the next two weeks and we got our first look at the landscape.

It has to be said that the Main road on the North of the Reykjanes Peninsula does not offer the finest views Iceland has to offer.

The camper van we had booked was the smallest one available and although rather compact it gave us all the essentials we needed for the trip. On future occasions we may consider something a little bigger but it was sufficient and good value.

Geysir.jpg

Now, call me a wuss if you like but I hate getting into a new vehicle on the wrong side. I like it even less when I find the steering wheel is on the wrong side as well.

They drive on the right in Iceland of course and to a Brit that is always unsettling. Add to that our departure from the yard in the middle of the rush hour, trying to read signs with too many consonants and a very hairy drive over the flanks of Skálafell in the thickest fog I have ever seen, on a road with an indeterminate number of lanes. I was far from relaxed on arrival at Geysir, our first overnight stop.

The original "Geysir", from which these features now derive their name worldwide, erupts very infrequently now. Fortunately it has a slightly smaller neighbour that makes up for it by bursting into action every 5-10 minutes or so.

Gullfoss.jpg

The first tourists of the day stared arriving as we were packing up to leave so we set our course for Gullfoss, just a short distance up the road for our next stop.

At Gullfoss, the Hvítá plunges 32m in two stages into a narrow, steep canyon before flowing away in a completely different direction. It's impressive.

Bruarfoss.jpg

Bruarfoss is not a huge fall and not easy to find either.

I had come across a few pictures and descriptions and it sounded interesting.

Armed with map and compass we set out in the right direction only to be confused by a second stream, not featured on our map, that cut across our path.

Undeterred, we checked our position, crossed the first river and eventually found the falls just where they should be.

Anarstarpi-I.jpg

The next day we visited Anarstapi. A grey drizzly day.

Anarstarpi-VI.jpg

This part of the coast is well known for it's sea cliffs which are pounded by the waves and populated mainly by kittiwakes.

Londrangar.jpg

We settled for the night further up the coast at Londrangar hoping that the weather would clear for some wider shots of the landscape.

Litter.jpg

I cannot begin to tell you how angry I was to find the first litter here that we have seen since we landed on Iceland. What really made my blood boil was that it had obviously been left by photographers.

Wrappings from a memory card, a flight luggage label complete with the name of it’s owner, who flew in from Frankfurt, a battery, a piece of broken tripod and two tabs from professional 120 film, so certainly not all from general tourists. What sort of scumbags fly to such a beautiful place and then start to foul it up for everyone else?

There really is no excuse for it. I've been a photographer for over thirty years, film and file, and never left anything but my footprints at a location. People like this are an absolute disgrace and drag the reputation of the majority of responsible photographers down and though the mud with them.

Needless to say I cleared it all up of course.

Kirkjufellsfoss.jpg

With the whole of Iceland to choose from, a bunch of clowns in another Happy Camper van turned up, parked right next to us, and played loud music late into the night. At 1:20 am they started flashing their hazard lights and waving torches around to attract the attention of two more vehicles. I got out of bed and suggested, in no uncertain terms, that they adjusted their behaviour. I was certainly not a very “Happy Camper” at that point.

Kirkjufellsfoss-III.jpg

By morning there were six of the idiots wandering around like lost sheep.

They had come, like so many before them, to capture the landscape that they had seen and read about in books but regardless of their expensive cameras and rather cheap flimsy tripods, they obviously didn’t have a clue about what they were doing.

One of them even started waving his mobile phone around pretending it was a light meter when he saw that I apparently did have some idea of which end of the camera to point at the subject.

Berserkjahraun-I.jpg

After breakfast we left them to it and moved East to a dramatic lava field we had spotted the day before called Berserkstraun.

There are far too many pictures to put them all up here, I don't want to clog up all of Tony's bandwidth so if you want to see more and the full unedited report, I'm afraid you'll have to see them on my new site here.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Icelandic-Horses.jpg

I decided to get a shot of some of the horses that are found all over this land. They may look small but I'm told that the Icelanders get annoyed if you call them ponies. These are horses, and hardy ones at that. The Icelandic climate is a tough one at times but these horses are one of the few domestic animals able to withstand the harsh winter weather.

Snow_Drift.jpg

I had stumbled across some pictures of a place called Kálfshamarvik online and it looked intriguing. Twisted basalt columns surmounted by an interesting lighthouse, what's not to like.

It was a bit off the beaten track but that was even better because it hadn't been photographed as much as some of the other hot spots.

We set. Off down a clear gravel track only to be confronted with a snow drift. It wasn't a big drift and it had tyre tracks running through it already. I decided to try it slowly and carefully. Mistake. The sump lodged itself firmly on the bank of snow in the middle of the road lifting the wheels and stopping the vehicle in it's tracks. It wasn't much, if I had hit it faster our momentum would have carried us through.

So we had to dig ourselves out. We had a small dust pan, a few rocks lying about but nothing long enough to reach the sump area that was actually caught except for my tripod.

Now I've always held that a flimsy tripod is a waste of space. I'll add to that now. A tripod that is not strong enough to dig you out of a snow drift is no use to man or beast.

A short while later we were on our way again.

Kalfshamarsvik.jpg

Kálfshamarvik was well worth the effort but unfortunately, due to the time we lost and the fact that we had booked a cabin for that night, we had far too little time here.

Without that booking to consider we would have stayed the night for certain.

We met the same drift on the way back and hit it at a reasonable speed this time. Sure enough, no problem.

Kalfshamarsvik-II.jpg

Kalfshamarsvik-I.jpg

Cabin-at-Olafsfjordur.jpg

The cabin was far bigger than we needed but I booked it for two reasons.

The fact that it had a geothermal hot tub right on the veranda.

Olafsfjordur.jpg

And the view from that hot tub.

A plan with almost no drawbacks.

Icelandic-Aurora-I.jpg

Unfortunately, it was on the edge of a small community, so when the Northern Lights made an appearance while we were enjoying a good duty free wine in the tub, it was slightly degraded by light pollution from the street lighting behind us.

You can't have everything can you?

Godafoss-I.jpg

So far, the snow had only interrupted our plans on the way to Kálfshamarvik, at Godafoss there are normally two sides that the falls can be approached from but it was clear on this day that the side I wanted to be on would be not be safe on this occasion. That left me with the light, which was quite strong, coming from the wrong side as well. Not ideal.

Hverarondor-Hverir-I.jpg

Hveraröndor Hverir turned out to be one of our highlights.

Powerful fumaroles and smelly steaming mud holes.

Everything a good geothermal area should be and no more than a few essential fences to get in the way.

Debs-at-Hverarondor-Hverir.jpg

I must say that the Icelandic approach to health and safety is refreshing.

There were a few signs to say “This is dangerous.” but by and large the attitude seemed to be “We have warned you, so if you are stupid enough to put your hand into a superheated fumarole or a pool of boiling water, then that is your own problem.”

I can live with that, it seems perfectly in keeping with Darwinian thinking as well but I suspect such an attitude would soon attract a festering swarm of ambulance chasers in the UK.

Dettifoss.jpg

Dettifoss was also not safe to approach closely.

Selfoss.jpg

But Selfoss was easy to access.

Wayland-at-Selfoss.jpg

Ric was asking about "pre PhotoShopped images" This is the closest I have, being taken directly from a compact camera Debs was using.

Apart from the longer exposure from my camera, there really isn't much difference as you can see.

These pictures are pretty faithful to the subjects.

(Full report and more pictures here.)

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Originally I had planned to bypass the East in the longest single drive of the trip. About 260 miles or so. Nature took a hand in changing that plan for us as the shortest route, through a mountain pass was still blocked with snow. That left the longer coastal route which we decided to break somewhere around Egilstadir.

Hjardarhagi.jpg

On our travels we had seen a lot of abandoned or neglected farms. It seems that there is a slow migration going on from the rural areas to bigger towns and cities like Reykjavik. Looking around at the landscape, I am not surprised. It is easy to be romantic about rural living but it is not an easy life and the tough conditions here do little to make it easier.

Sheep are one of the few viable crops here and that is supported largely by the tourist market for hand knitted jumpers which have become quite fashionable at the moment. We'll put our hands up to say we happily supported that trade, with a couple of very nice, heavy duty wool cardigans ourselves.

Traditional Lopapeysa knitwear uses the natural coloured wool from the double coated breeds that came here with the Vikings and have since been bred for these conditions. As a fan of wool for use in the outdoors I have to say that they are warm and very practical for this kind of climate and for many parts of Britain as well.

Another kind of building that we had seen in places are the turf built huts that often still serve as farm outbuildings. This is a tradition that really does go back to the Vikings and as such, was something that I was keen to see more of.

Hvalnes.jpg

We moved on towards the South through some wonderful scenery that I wish we had given ourselves more time to explore. I had a couple of other locations in mind and the next on my list was Stokkesnes.

En route we started seeing a lot of reindeer. Originally introduced in 1771 and again in the years that followed they now thrive here like so much other wildlife. We saw seals in almost every bay, varied bird life everywhere and unfamiliar plant species too. I have a casual interest in natural history but there was much here that was fresh and interesting to see.

As we rounded the headland at Hvalnes, we also spotted this. To all appearances it looked like another set of rather derelict turf buildings.

On closer inspection they turned out to be miniatures built either by Hobbits, which I doubt, or as some kind of film set for background shots, which is more likely given their dramatic location.

Stokkesnes.jpg

Stokkesnes was a little disappointing. There is an old Radar station there from Cold War days but we had gone to see the lighthouse and the black sand dune system. What we didn't expect to see was old rusting refrigerators and building rubble. It would seem that when the base was passed over to local hands it was not too carefully done. Sadly it was a bit of a dump. The lighthouse was surrounded by aerials and other scruffy paraphernalia and the vegetation growing on the dunes had not yet come back to life over the winter. I got this shot before the weather closed in and we cut our losses by moving on.

Our next stop, Jökulsárlón is possibly one of the natural wonders of the World.

Breiðamerkurjökull, a tongue of the great Vatnajökull glacier has retreated leaving a deep hollow filled with water.

Add to this the huge pieces of ice calving from the glacial face to float on the surface and you might have a sight worth seeing on it's own but add it's close location to the sea, and a narrow channel connecting the two, and you have the perfect conditions for a spectacle.

On every retreating tide ice leaves the lagoon towards the sea. The waves then wash the icebergs back onto the beaches, where they either melt away slowly or get washed about on the next tide.

Jokulsarlon-Jewels-I.jpg

As if this was not already a perfect enough opportunity for photographers, did I forget to mention, that the sand that these sparkling jewels rest upon, is black... It really couldn't get much better.

Jokulsaron-Iceflow-VI.jpg

As the light changes you see colours reflected in the ice that you just would not think credible if you hadn't seen them yourself.

Jokulsaron-Iceflow-XII.jpg

What we didn't realise at this point was that the gathering wind (24mph.) would soon bring snow with it.

By morning we were in danger of being stranded in our little camper. The roads were quickly covering with snow and the traffic had died down to the occasional 4WD vehicle.

Shortly after a snow plough passed us heading South we decided to follow it.

A few miles down the road we left the blizzard behind us.
Literally as we turned a corner near Hof into another dale the snow stopped and we were left with just rain and the wind (37mph. gusting at 45mph.)

Nupsstadur.jpg

We reached Nupsstaður and the waterfalls were flowing upwards as the wind hit the rock face and the dust from Skeiðarársandur was flying through the air looking like mist but stinging a lot more.

Nupsstaður, was one of the sites at the top of our list to visit when we started planning this trip. The turf church and farm here are a UNESCO World Heritage Site with good reason.

It's position as the most Easterly farm in Skaftárhreppur made it an important stopping place for travellers crossing Skeiðarársandur. The site has been farmed continuously until recently and the original condition of the buildings means this place just oozes history from every seam.

We arrived in the afternoon to find a locked gate and a sign saying that it was private property...

We were bitterly disappointed.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We were left wondering overnight what to do about Núpsstaður.

Information online seemed to indicate that the site should be open all year round, but as I checked further a more complicated picture emerged.

It seems that the small church there is owned by the National Museum's buildings collection and should indeed be accessible to visitors.

The farm however is privately owned.

I can see how that could lead to all sorts of issues...

Nupsstadur-VI.jpg

We decided to take another look in the morning and further up the track we found signs confirming that the public could visit the church but that the farm was private property.

Nupsstadur-VII.jpg

So, to avoid any confusion, let me be very clear that the pictures you see here were all taken from the path leading to the church.

At no time did we leave the path nor am I encouraging anyone else to do so either.

This is potentially a delicate situation and it is hoped that negotiations may perhaps secure improved visiting rights in the future, please do not do anything that might jeopardise such negotiations.

Nupsstadur-II.jpg

It is not clear how fast it happened but the early settlers soon stripped Iceland of the trees that they found here.

Stone and turf were at least building materials that there was no shortage of, so it was not long before this kind of structure became commonplace here.

In many ways they are very practical. The low profile keeps them out of the wind and the thick turf walls are well insulated against the cold.

Svartifoss-I.jpg

Another icon of the South is Svartifoss.

Falling 20m over a hanging gallery of basalt columns, this is one of the this is one of the most popular waterfalls in Skaftafell National Park.

Svartifoss-III.jpg

Svartifoss literally means "Black Falls" in obvious reference to the dark rock face but when it is dry you can see that it is full of colours, almost none of them really "Black".

We saw a lot of bird life in this area including a very bold pair of Ptarmigan, who were so convinced that their snow white camouflage was perfect, that they sat perfectly still in the greenery at the side of the path and did not move off until we were within 5 feet of them.

Jokulsaron-Iceflow-XI.jpg

Now the weather had improved we returned Eastward to Jökulsárlón.

Jokulsaron-Iceflow-VIII.jpg

I’ve said all I need to say about this location already so I’ll just leave you to enjoy the photographs.

Jokulsarlon-Jewels-Wide.jpg

Jokulsaron-Iceflow-V.jpg

I could have taken many more, in fact Debs almost had to drag me away from the place.

Wayland-at-Dyrholaey.jpg
Dyrholaey-Small-Arch.jpg

The shore around Vik is another area full of photographic potential.

This is one of the smaller basalt arches at Dyrhólaey, a tricky angle to get.

As you can see, I actually set up a safety line for this shot...

For the camera of course, not for me.

According to Debs I attracted a bit of a crowd while doing this, although I was much more interested in where I was standing so I didn't notice.

It's amazing what people will stand and gawp at isn't it. "We're all standing in a fantastic landscape but let's see if the photographer falls off the cliff..."

Reynisdrangar.jpg

At the other end of the beach stand Reynisdrangar.

Petrified Trolls again of course. This time dragging a three masted ship to shore when the light caught them.

I wanted a shot from further round the shore but the sea was too high on this occasion.

Dyrholaey.jpg

Returning in the morning, the wing had freshened and the surf was throwing spray into the air all along the foreshore. Lit by the rising sun it glowed like a fine mist.

Arnardrangur.jpg

The light was fantastic and as I was setting up five other vehicles arrived and started disgorging people, tripods and cameras.

Dyrholaey-Surfer.jpg

My first thought was that it was a photographic tour or course of some sort but when a man clad in a wet suit climbed out of a van with a surf board it soon became apparent that it was a film crew and it's entourage of directors and producers.

From the dark looks and muttering conversations, they didn't look very happy to see me there either.

It would seem that they wanted to film him surfing in this amazing location.

But I could tell there was an obvious clash of cultures going on.

The surfer wanted to ride the best waves and they were further out.

The film crew just wanted him to hit his marks and they were closer in to the rock.

Every time the surfer tried to catch a wave in the right place he wiped out and had to swim back out against the current to try again.

Arnardrangur-Surfer.jpg

Eventually he made his run, to the satisfaction of the film crew at any rate, but he must have been exhausted by that point.
Of course, film crews being what they are, they asked him to do it all over again...

I had the shots I wanted so we left them to it and started back towards the West.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Skogafoss-D.jpg

Some things are difficult to photograph.

It could be because there is so much spray that you have to keep wiping your lens to see anything at all. That was certainly true here.

Some times the light is just not right or coming from the wrong direction. It wasn't brilliant here but I've seen worse.

It might be because you cannot seem to find the right angle to get the shot you want. That was not the problem in this case.

But sometimes, something is just so awesome you just have to be there and experience it for yourself.

I don't think any photograph could do justice to Skógafoss.

Of all the falls we saw on this trip, I think this was my favourite.

Skogafoss.jpg

I did try to shoot the whole thing but it does not show the real majesty of this waterfall.

Reykjanes-Steam-Engine.jpg

I had my eye on an interesting feature near Gunnuhver that I had found in a geology report but on the way we found this contraption.

Looking like something out of a Steampunk fantasy this was obviously tapping into the huge reserves of geothermal energy in the ground all around Iceland.

This area seemed to be a particular hotspot for such extraction judging by the shining steel pipes stretching every which way across the landscape.

Gunnuhver.jpg

The steaming Earth at Gunnuhver is attributed to an unruly ghost called Guðrún that was trapped by a priest there some 600 years ago.

All I can say is if this is what she's like after being laid to rest, I wouldn't want to have met her in real life. This is a powerful place.

In front of the platform in the picture above is the remains of another that was destroyed in a steam explosion a few years ago.

Debs lost a glove that was snatched by the wind and came to rest on the edge of one of the steaming vents. Needless to say neither of us felt inclined to chance a rescue attempt.

Guðrún has at least one warm hand now.

Reykjanes.jpg

We planned to spend our last night on the road near Reyjanes Lighthouse, overlooking these sea stacks.

The sea was high and the wind higher. These shots had to be taken in the lee of the van just to stop the tripod blowing over. Even then many exposures were spoiled by vibration. As the light fell and the exposures grew longer the problem got worse.

When it started snowing again we decided to head inland to avoid getting stranded at the end of a quiet gravel road.

Bone-Skates.jpg

Our last two days In Iceland were spent in Reykjavik.

I didn't take many pictures there. In fact after lugging my gear around for a fortnight I was glad to leave it in the hotel room and just carry a compact instead.

Anyone that knows us would be able to predict our movements for these days.

First the bookshops followed by the Museums. Nothing too remarkable to see in the museums, most of the collection I have illustrated in my library at home but a couple of things caught my eye.

First of all, the bone ice skates. These go back as far as the Vikings and I have seen examples many times but it is the first time I have seen them with the bindings in place. this pair post date the Vikings of course but it shows that the idea had some longevity.

Sulphur-Matches.jpg

Next were the sulphur matches. Again not a new discovery but I had often wondered if, given the plentiful supply of sulphur in Iceland, they were in use over here. (Which may indicate they could have been used as early as the settlements.) An interesting thought.

If you ever find yourself in Reykjavik, treat yourself to a lunch at the Saegreifinn (Sea Baron) down by the old harbour. Wonderful Lobster soup and fish kebabs that take some beating.

I do admire efficiency and the transport system here is the model of that efficiency.

The shuttle bus arrived on time to take us from the hotel to the bus station. They loaded our bags while we bought our tickets and the bus dropped us at the airport within seconds of the scheduled time.

Tell me.. Why can't things work like that in England?

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Oooooooo

Just keeping my space in case I want to add more Ooooo's and Aaaaaaaa's:)

Craig. ....

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've now cancelled my holiday to Norway in September and will be going to Iceland instead!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I should be able to get the first pictures up tomorrow but you might have to wait a bit for the text.

This is mad... I've whittled four and a half thousand image files down to 180 odd images worth showing but I've still got a heck of lot of processing to do.

I've never seen such a target rich environment let alone spent a fortnight taking pictures in one.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I imagine that you run out of superlatives to describe that landscape after a while...

Lovely work as usual; thanks for sharing them :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Absolutely amazing photos! Great skill there, and a smashing trip too! :)

I'm really look on forward to the rest!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE