So who did discover America ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ooooh huge debate this one :)

The geneticists seem to be sorting it out, but it looks like multiple quite seperate 'discoveries', with modern Western Europeans coming a very tardy last place.

What have you been reading ?

cheers,
Toddy

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Ooooh huge debate this one :)

The geneticists seem to be sorting it out, but it looks like multiple quite seperate 'discoveries', with modern Western Europeans coming a very tardy last place.

What have you been reading ?

cheers,
Toddy

Sorry i forgot to post the link :eek:

Craig.........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One knife, 'discovered' in the seventies...............yeah that's proof (Scottish sarcasm coming through there)...........find more, in situ, in good unimpeachable context, and then that single artefact 'might' become believable.

I think that sounds like a bit of a teaser/trailer for their new book to be honest.

I'm not saying our Mesolithic European ancestors didn't reach America...........there's no reason why not, especially knowing what we do about their abilities.........but that piece of evidence seems incredibly flimsy.
The other bits sound much more firmly based though :)

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It was the Welsh discovered America!
The Mandans spoke a form of Welsh (until wiped out by the nex white invaders) and took the corracle (Bull Boat) to the Mississipi!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Irish (and others of the Western seaboard) used curraghs. Sea going boats used for fishing and trading and travelling.
Every bit as effective as the Inuit umiak type.
Amazingly robust in icy waters :cool:

Tim Severin recreated the voyage of St Brendan, and he wrote a book of it in the 1970's. Well worth a read if you can get a copy :)

cheers,
M

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There was a thread about this on BCUSA recently. Someone there was saying that archaeologists had found stone age tools in mainland N.America that were European in style. I'll see if I can find a link when I'm on my pc. It had got people thinking about it because it was pretty good evidence that someone from Europe had been there even before people had crossed from Siberia.

Edit: oops I really should read the first couple of posts in a thread first of all!!

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
The Irish (and others of the Western seaboard) used curraghs. Sea going boats used for fishing and trading and travelling.

Tim Severin recreated the voyage of St Brendan, and he wrote a book of it in the 1970's. Well worth a read if you can get a copy :)

cheers,
M

Curraghs! thats the word i was looking for. cheers Toddy :D

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland

cheers,
M

I have the book in the shelf :), I love Severins books! As soon as I had posted I actually had to go and check, it would have been 500 AC and not 400 AC as I wrote.

Also this brings to mind something I read in a kayak forum.
Someone had just completed building a "skin on frame" inuit kayak and took it for a paddle along the coast when an old fisherman looked at it and said
"´Tis a bit skinny for a curragh lad".

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There was a thread about this on BCUSA recently. Someone there was saying that archaeologists had found stone age tools in mainland N.America that were European in style. I'll see if I can find a link when I'm on my pc. It had got people thinking about it because it was pretty good evidence that someone from Europe had been there even before people had crossed from Siberia...

It comes up on the History Channel over here from time to time. I think you're referring to the "Clovis" point arrow/spear heads that resemble the ones in stone age France. I don't remember much more detail myself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Typology is a hotly debated topic at times. Basically it's fashion. Tools made in the fashion of a certain area, of a certain time, are considered to be associated with certain people (or rather the culture of a certain peoples)
So those who interpret the finds reckon that the type = the people, sometimes, even if found where there is no other record of those people. It's a bit subjective.
It's not a definitive kind of thing; it's more a good diagnostic bit of the puzzle, iimmc. But, and it's an important but, it's only part of the story and can only be part of the interpretation.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There was also the theory that Clovis people hunted their way west across the sea ice, and only had to use boats for short crossings.

Cheers, Michael.

Did you see the programme recently on the crew who rowed to the North Pole ? That's the kind of conditions that it appears may have been prevalent at the time. Hard going however they did it :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE