Making an Adze from a hammer head...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm trying to get one sorted as I write this.

Like Silverhill said - at the moment it's just a cut down standard hammer handle.

To do it justice I'm gonna put a nice one on and then post it up on here. End of the weekend hopefully.
Hurry up and get your shave horse sorted mate! You'll do one in about ten minutes :)

That's awesome! I've attempted a couple of adzes, but to be honest I'm still without one... Ammmm, frustration pass I'll try once more :) You've done a great job!

Starting with a 16oz hammer head is probably the best way Milius. I've seen photos of your work and you show great promise, so don't give up on crafting an adze just yet....

When you start with a hammer, much of the work is done for you; such as the eye and the fullering each side of the cheek. Where Oakhill came in handy was striking with the sledge, therefore reducing the amount of time and heats taken to turn the round face of the hammer into a thin face for shaping into a curve. The real problem you then face, is developing and maintaining a semi-circular cutting edge within the overall curved profile of the adze. I don't have one, but I'd say a barrel or cone stake/mandrel would make forging one much easier.

Thanks for all your positive comments guys. If Oakhill's up for it, we may see of we can do a few more write-ups; on a drawknife maybe? Or possibly a hatchet of some description (although tbh, I learned all of my axe forging from Dave Budd's excellent tutorial here on BCUK-Cheers Dave :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A professional blacksmith friend of mine and I recently had a go at a hatchet.

It was rather good fun!

I'll see if I can get hold of the photos.

How did you do the curve Silverhill? Must have been a right bugger!

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Generally, I use the bick (lengthways) to form the profile, quench about an inch from the blade edge, and then use a rawhide hammer (hammering the cutting edge) over the bick to form the curve. What Oakhill didn't show, is that the first attempt with curving this adze lead to a cracked blade when forming the curve as I used my 3lb Whitehouse hammer on the edge in error :(

Fortunately I rescued this one by cutting away the crack and squeezing a bit more 'meat' from the edges and pushing it to the face. Oakhill's adze is still shorter than the standard one from the same size head.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Generally, I use the bick (lengthways) to form the profile, quench about an inch from the blade edge, and then use a rawhide hammer (hammering the cutting edge) over the bick to form the curve. What Oakhill didn't show, is that the first attempt with curving this adze lead to a cracked blade when forming the curve as I used my 3lb Whitehouse hammer on the edge in error :(

Fortunately I rescued this one by cutting away the crack and squeezing a bit more 'meat' from the edges and pushing it to the face. Oakhill's adze is still shorter than the standard one from the same size head.

Cheers mate. :D

It's little nuggets of information like that which are a serious help. I need to knock up a decent wooden mallet for straightening twisted stuff and such like.

I've been asked for a riveting hammer so I think I'll have a go at one of these too!

Cheers big man!

Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Cheers mate. Yes, I'm sure one day luck will come my way :)

IMG_4745.JPG

I made this from axe head, way too thin on the edge and hardened a bit too much, it broke. Then I've done some from pick axes, couldn't get the result I wanted.. Next time - hammer. :)

IMG_4753.JPG

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Sublime, That is a true beauty of an adze head, lovely documented too by the way.
I really like to see those progressing product makes you see really where they come from.
gotta get meself into forging some time but mastering one material at a time eh ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE