Show us your D.I.Y favourites!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Your Favourite method of D.I.Y Fabrication!

• Total voters
P

Paul Holtom

Yup certainly looks like a rifle bolt, very nice work by the way.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I voted for woodwork, I work on trees everyday so I am always getting bits from work to carve with.

kuksa2.jpg

ws6.jpg

Mar 9, 2009
Penzance
Few things I made from bamboo during a quiet moment at my last job, I was mightily bored as the weather was grim so I retired to the workshop. The knife I made for the Mrs as she was a Scout leader at the time. The bamboo fork, knife and cup were just little exercises to see what I could do, I doubt if they are very practical as I haven`t used them in anger. :)

picture001small.jpg

picture004small.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love that bamboo work!
I have a mug/bowl and a letteropener that I made while in Thailand.
There bamboo makes almost everything from food to houses :)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You can make great match boxes out of Bamboo.
I whipped some cordage around this one.

DSC_0365.jpg

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
to build knives you have to do some metalworking, woodworking, leatherworking, antler- or bonework, scrimshaw.....

i´m not good at anything but i get better... ;o)

blade poul strande
handle stab birch, mammoth ivory, copper
sheath veg tanned leather

IMG_9462small.jpg

blade mikael eklund
handle jarrah, bone, fiber spacers
sheath veg tanned leather

P1020866small.jpg

P1020872small.jpg

cheers
belabear

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Im not going to post any of my efforts in the metalwork dept,coz after seeing the posts here i think mine are rubbish.
There are some really talented people here,superb.
Soloman.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
soloman take heart and show your stuff!

really would like to see them!

thanks bushed! glad you like it!

got some small pieces of mammth ivory from a salesman in germany who get´s it from siberia, still found a lot there

when you hold it in your hands it´s like holding history as the pieces are between 7000-10000 years old.... quite a feeling

cheers
belabear

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I love both metalwork and woodwork, i've never tried any of the other options but would love to have a go at leatherwork:cool:

here's a couple of short swords that i made years ago- without any powertools (gawd it was hard work using a big old file with emery cloth/wet and dry paper wrapped around it:eek::eek: )

this one i hammered out of a strip of packing steel at work, unfortunately it's only mild steel so is just a wall hanger...
ABIGGIE2-1.jpg

this one started out as a sharpening steel for edging up carving knives and so was very hard steel, again i bashed it out rough (after heating it with oxy-acetylene) then used the big file with emery cloth wrapped around it:eek:

the hilt and knuckle guard i made at work (i work in a foundry), i carved a very basic pattern for each piece then filled the mould with molten brass, then the emery treatment with brasso to finish:p

knifehomemade2.jpg

the blade laid upon a strip of Japanese oak...
knifehomemade3.jpg

and together with the 'pirate sword' oooh arr jim lad:lmao:
ABIGGIE3.jpg

John:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE