salmon skin as a possible material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

psy.

Jul 25, 2010
SE Sweden

My mate doesn't know the method used during the camp he was on but there is a little more information here...

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/34478/t/Tanning-Fish.html

... ETA: I will post a few recipies in the following days, can't do it right now.

Given the exellent information here, there is no need to repeat it. I'll just add the following from the book:
Unless being tanned immediatly the skins are preferrably to be put in the freezer rather than salting or drying. It helps make the skin softer in the end.
Scrape and take the scales off if it has not been done before. She use a scraper made from bottlecaps. If the scales are small they can be left for now because they will fall off during the tanning, but be aware that scales left on will cause discolouration.

Urine based tanning:
"The urine must come from a baby boy, who is only breastfed" :rolleyes: The author claims that no smell of urine can be detected if baby urine is used. The longer the skin is in the urine bath the softer the skin becomes. Half a day or more - over night.
1 litre baby urine ( ½litre adult + ½ litre water)
½ dl olive oil
1 teaspoon soft soap

put the skin in for 12-18 hrs, stir often and keep around 20 degrees C
wash several times in soft soaped water (1/10 soft soap/water).

take them out and let dry to a "dripping free" state.
refatten the skins (sorry for crappy english, can't really translate in real time) for 5-10 mins in no warmer than 25 C, in this solution.
½ litre water
1 dl olive (or raps) oil
2 egg yolks
1 tea spoon soft soap

Hang the skin to dry or put it with the outside towards a glass sheath for a shinier surface.

before it is totally dry begin with the softening. Fishskin is less elastic than mammals hides. Rub it between the hands both lengthwise and crosswise. It seems any means of working the skin can be used, pullingback and forth over the back of a chairLet it rest when the surface is dry so that the moist inside creep to the surfce and then workj it again. Do this until it is dry. If it dries to fast it can be remoisted with a spray of water. If this process is stopped to soon the skin will become hard again.
In the end the author use moistiuriser.

To make the skins smoother they can be slightly dampened and attached to a flat surface.

psy.

Jul 25, 2010
SE Sweden
Clean and descale...

The fat tanning.
for 4-5 skins of salmon.
1 dl olive oil or raps)
1 egg yolk
1 tea spoon soft soap
Put the skins in the solution which should be around 20 C, and work them with your hands. Let lie in the solution for 10-15 mins. hang them to dry - rub them every now and then the more the better. soften as above without the moisteriser. UV is good but it can be too hot on a summer day. let hang for a few days and then wash in
1 dl soft soap
10 litres water
wash and clense in clean water.
refatten as above
dry and moisterise

Again sorry for my sloppy writing but hopefully you will get it. ANd also note that all I did was read in a book and repeat it here. I have never done this myself. :)

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
just got an email for the place in sweden which i linked above
i thought i would ask about the tanning process, this is the reply i got

HI Dean!
One way of tanning fish skin is with a mixture of 1 dl olive oil or rap oil, 1 egg yolk and teaspoon soap.
After scraping a removing scales a put hem in the mixture 20 min and then hang them in the sun until they have dried. During the drying I go there and work them with my hands.
When they are dry and a little soft a wash them in soap and water, hang them up again and soften them now and then during drying. Just be careful that the sun are not to warm. The UV-light helps the tanning process.
I have written a book about tanning fish skin and I am looking for a publicher interested in translating it to English.
Best regards Lotta

Lottas Garfveri
Långgatan 9
19330 Sigtuna
08/59255000
070/3127846
www.lottasgarveri.se
this is the recipe i will follow if i get around to doing it, so many things on the to do/try list

american_trapper

Mar 10, 2015
iowa, usa
I have just recently caught a northern pike icefishing in iowa [america]. I thought the skin was much too pretty to go to waste. So now with all of the info provided I plan on making a wallet or maybe something more exotic. Any ideas?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The main use I used to put it to was cut into strips, tied and dried (oven or sunshine) and they made great dog treats. But going by the consistency of the finished product it could've been pressed into other uses as it was very durable for the thickness of it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pacific Northwest coastal native communities have been dependant on the annual salmon harvest for thousands of years.
The University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology should be a good resource.

Inuit use fish skin for "skylights" in igloos. 12" wind-drifted snow blocks makes for a really gloomy home.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tanned a Cod skin at the Moot last year - incredibly, stomach churningly smelly and hard work...
You can buy Salmon leather....

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I do remember an Irish firm sold salmon skin for use as 'leather' I always meant to get some but I couldn't find the site anymore.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I spread wood glue all over a damp salmon skin and wrapped it around a tomahawk handle. It was like armor, and quite the conversation piece. Had it through most of my twenties with never a problem. I take a nephew to a large gathering and tell him to go to the tomahawk throw, handing him my tomahawk. Within fifteen minutes he's back with my tomahawk....and both pieces of the handle. Teenagers.

That was many years ago, and come to think of it, hardly relevant to the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE