Cabin Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a space at the bottom of my garden where currently a metal clad shed sits full of wood that currently serves no purpose.

I will put up some photos soon.

The location is adjacent/sitting elevated over the stream that runs adjacent to my property , from this position you can see up the entirety of the stream and either bank - which I've recently planted with an array ferns on either side - hopefully these will mature and provide a peaceful vista.

So back to the shed location - currently its a poor use of space and is exceptionally badly placed - my idea is to remove it , install a concrete and deck foundation to then sit a modest 'A' frame style shed/cabin to provide a small accommodation unit that can be used for a few different things - contemplative perspective , office space with desk and wifi , and a sort of VERY basic one person shed with sitting area, small kitchenette, Bed and wood stove - basically a man den for myself or if anyone of my friends or colleagues require a bed and space for any of those road bumps we meet in life.

Sometimes we just need a quiet space and a bed and basic mod cons to recalibrate and process our thoughts. That is at least my life experience.

I've been looking around at designs of such things and think I've settled on a raised side A frame for simplicity and ease of design.

Sheet materials come in 8x4 sheets
Galavanised roof material comes in 10ft lengths
etc

The rules regarding building sheds in the UK are the following :-

The maximum overall height should be no higher than 4 metres for a dual pitch roof (all other roof options have a max height of 3 metres). If the shed stands less than 2 metres from one or more boundaries of the property, the overall height should not exceed 2.5 metres.

I'm wondering if anyone has considered doing a design project like this before or seen any projects similar to it? I think the Centre for Alternative Technology used to produce a document e-book for making basic units with off the shelf products.

Although I know I am talking about generic basic building materials, this would be for the main structure - I intend to make the finishing touches far more interesting and finely detailed trying to use clever design for what will need to be a limited space and volume.

Any comments or pointers? anyone lived or designed small spaces before and have some clever ideas?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As you know, I built a shepherd's hut last year - I designed it based on standard 1.2, 2.4 & 4.8m timber and board dimensions.

The whole thing is just a shed on a sturdy wooden chassis and with the curved corrugated roof panels (2.66m span). The walls are standard 'studding' design with plenty of angle bracing, insulated and T&G board clad inside and out. The floor has a waterproof membrane, T&G flooring sheets, insulation, and floor boards. The roof is plywood, insulation, high quality felt and the sheets on top. All the windows were made bespoke and glazed with polycarbonate (just in case a branch gets blown into them).

Although there are a few details I would do differently, I'm very pleased with it :)

Reactions: TeeDee

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I liked a five bay 75’ timber framed barn that was built in 1830(ish)
I loved the cuts that were used to create this building but could never replicate it full size so I scaled the whole thing down to a three bay 18’ x 12’ framed building. Same cuts but smaller.
I knew of some oak firewood that would suit if it was milled. This was bought & transported to the mill.
I also saw some builders stripping a roof and stopped to ask if they wanted to sell the tiles as they were ‘Warner Star’ tiles that I liked and would suit my little project.
I did apply for PP and the planners liked my idea and I was given the rubber stamp.
I gave the sawmill a cutting list and they cut to my requirements. I then processed the frame and duly put the roof on using those same tiles.
Presto a small barn replica.
Twenty five years later I build a full sized 75’ barn which is now my house! It has a wriggly tin roof.

Reactions: Broch

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Just my opinion but if you are going to make something then you have to do your very best.
In this way the project is a challenge, tests your skills, you learn heaps and you end up with something that is a pleasure to be around.
S

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just my opinion but if you are going to make something then you have to do your very best.
In this way the project is a challenge, tests your skills, you learn heaps and you end up with something that is a pleasure to be around.
S

That was pretty much the plan... not sure why you may think potentially other wise. ?

Hence why I'm doing my dure diligence and research first.

Reactions: swyn

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Little things - such as:

I only used 4mm exterior ply for the ceiling - it needed to curve but would have had better structure made from 6mm

The chassis is very sturdy, made from decent sized timber but, if I was doing another one, I'd go up a size as there is a little 'bounce' when walking on it (think a bit like you get in a caravan except not as bad)

I have to remind myself I was working remotely and alone - heaving 2.4 x 1.2 x 6mm ply onto the roof would have been a lot more difficult than 4mm (though that was bad enough).

The other thing is cost has to come into the equation at some point (well, it does for me). The whole hut including wheels and new log burner came in at under £3,000 - I could easily have spent twice that to make that 'perfect' hut, if there is such a thing.

Oh, just one other thing, if you haven't tried them yet, have a look at hex-head self-drilling timber screws :) - I've used a range from 35mm to 250mm!

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hopefully the photos now work - so the wood shed is as mentioned tucked in behind the planted borders which are establishing in or a corner that used to be used for compost heap and the very very distant woodshed.

I think I can extend the length of the shed by a good 2.5 metres or so and make it wider. So it may end up with the back edge nearest the bank being starting out as a right angle going up a few meters before brining the roof line upto 2.5m then sloping back down in some sort of off set A frame construction.

It gets a good amount of Sun in that corner and is well ventilated.
I have to be careful with the foundation as being near to the stream as it is there is some undercutting and erosion eating into the underside.

Not sure if the view of the stream gives a feel of how I envisage it will be but once full of established mature ferns and a trickling stream I think it could be a peaceful place to write.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It does have a shabby-chic charm to it doesn't it?
The galvanised sheets have that semi rusty patina certain pop up fancy restaurants and burger joints pay an arm and leg for.

I'd already thought of reusing the sections elsewhere because as you say they have a certain something. Time and rust mostly.

• Haha
Reactions: swyn and Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think I have enough usable real estate with 4.5m x 3.5m ( ish ) although usable headroom is the main factor.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They dont make corrugated iron like that any more.

Buildings of it have an interest of their own.

Go look at some pictures of Tin Tabernacles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE