Cabin Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
You know how the Romans built their granaries on tapered piers with a wide flat top ? That was to stop vermin being able to come in from underneath.
It works, it works well, and is worth looking at as a foundation, especially near the river and to keep vermin out.
The principle is still used....
View attachment 80927

Doesn't mean it's not a 'shed', just that it's a mouse and rat free shed.
Staddle stones

Reactions: Toddy

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok well been out the building game for year but lets say i have seen it all in my time in the game lol yup i have .

As to building on standing stone / staddle stones peirs os anything else , the ground would need to be firm the first point and not suffer from softness or you will need to dig pits and pack them with crushed stone and or you can put in concrete pads because if not when the ground get wets and soft you will find it sink and move and you can guess the next bit when a couple go on the same side and you have weight on that side over goes the building .

The other point you say it may be for someone to sleep in again be very very careful because did you not just see the lady built a nice love as she called it reading room outside space but it was bigger than allowne and that was 9k down the sawny .

Also do not think because you may be out of the way that no one checks you may have p'd on a neighbours foot one time and they will be quick to call the council ,check out what is allowed because you do not want to spend a lot to find it has to come down .

Also building a building from scratch is not as easy as you think even a basic shed you need water tight you need a way to heat it and keep it warm if living in it and air flow is another because if the person puts on a heater in there and there is no air flow carbonmonoxide yup .

You may be better to get a cheap built shed or summerhouse and just work with that ie line it with polystrene pads in the walls and under the floor before it goes down then you can either hardboard or plywood line over it the roof i would say put at least 4 inch 6 inch would be better linning again to help in cold weather .

If you do need help with drawings i have been known to like working stuff out , i would be happy to work out the materials if you gave a size you are looking at also do not go to high over 2.5 meter i think you need planning

ok good luck and nice offer of you thinking forward to helping someone , if i was local to you i would he happy to help and throw in my tools for use

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE