DIY Blanket Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I've had it in my mind to make a Hooded Wool Poncho for some time , not because I have any fantasy about being a LOTR wood elf ( More Cave Troll if you must know.... ) but because I like to just sit and chill around a little camp fire every now and then and a Hood can help keep the chill off the back of your neck and the rain running down your bum crack.. It maybe also a Nostalgic nod of the head to my Scouting days when we used to sew badges of achievement onto them.

So I have a few Italian Blankets. ( My !!! How these have gone up in price ?>!>!>!? )

I need to learn how to blanket stitch , I also have a some Eyelets and Eyelet Pliers.

The blankets are Rectangular in design and the easiest choice would be ( i think ) to just halve one over and cut a hole in it and then attach a Hood.

But I quite fancy the idea of an angled Poncho so that the fabric hangs with the pointy end down in front of my crotch/knees ( not the same area....) and the other corners hang off of either shoulder.

I can't decide if this is wise or just creating an unnecessary amount of extra work? also as the Blankets have a light Tan stripe in either end I'd kinda like them to run diagonally down the edge to meet at the bottom point ( Are you following?... )

So have others done something similar to this ? As its best to " Measure Twice and Cut Once " part of that research process is to ask if people have input , experience , photos etc... of their own previous poncho projects.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you want it to be diagonal the you need to have a square blanket which will mean you loose the stripes at one end or you take a panel out in the middle ans restitch to make a square.

As for the neck hole cut a T and you won't need to have as wide a hole for your head.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birrus Britannicus.

The woollen cloak of the Britons.
You do need to cut your blankets though to make it.

On t'other hand make sure that @Wayland sees this thread because he has sussed out how to make a hooded wrap type cloak from a blanket without needing to cut it at all. One pin secures it if necessary :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you want it to be diagonal the you need to have a square blanket which will mean you loose the stripes at one end or you take a panel out in the middle ans restitch to make a square.

As for the neck hole cut a T and you won't need to have as wide a hole for your head.

Yep ! I worked out I will need to cut and restitch. Now Mr Mesquite , what can you tell me about Blanket stitching????

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yep ! I worked out I will need to cut and restitch. Now Mr Mesquite , what can you tell me about Blanket stitching????

It's a very simple stitch to do for stopping the edges of your material from fraying :)

Best advice I had from my mother is don't pull it really tight or it causes puckering along your edge

1588594854261.png

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A pointed one in the front would be my Lukha.

35 inch by 70 inch rectangle of wool cloth. You fold it to make a square and then sew down one side. (Good size for me who has wide shoulders)

So you have a big square joined at two sides? (can you visualise that?)

Then cut off at that corner. The hood is a bit more fiddly but you make one out of a rectangle of cloth and sew on as neatly as you can.

They take about two hours to make (Thought not to perfection) and you should get two out of a big blanket with enough over for a scarf.

Look at the price! (Ok, its not a wool one)

I made a couple at the last Moot with some folk; who was you? I have no memory for names.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE