salmon skin as a possible material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
has anyone ever used salmon skin as a material
i remember watching something somewhere about a little fishing community that used to use it to make boots etc ( basically in place of leather)
im not sure about the tanning process and whatnot
i would like to give it a go, just an idea at the moment, make a little filleting knife with a salmon skin sheath
will google it latter today but thought i would ask all the crafters on here
anybody else heard of this? any info you could send my way? maybe a few websites/guides etc, input/opinions/feedback from using it etc etc

thanks

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
This is interesting hmmm. I'd never have thought of Salmon skin being used like that. I'd have thought Salmon skin was too soft and easily torn?

It shouldn't surprise me though, as Katana handles (tsuka) are, or used to be, wrapped in Ray or Shark skin - called "something" Make, can't think offhand - before the handle was bound, due to these skins being rough, tough and "grippy".

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MacAlpin came to the meeting to decide on who should be the new High King, and in that finely dressed company he came ashore wearing a jacket of salmon skins.

Guess who the Scots chose as the new King ?

The man wearing his cagoule :D

D'you think he knew the weather ?

M

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
if anyone needs any skin let me know - i skin about 50 salmon every day at work, and they just go in the bin
hi gorilla
thats a very kind offer which i might take you up once i know how to tan the skins and find a way of getting them (living just outside london, and i dont drive)

been googling tonight but haven't had that much luck finding out how to ( maybe i lack googling skills)
found lots of places that sell it but it seams to be a trade secret surrounding the tanning process
only found a book, but its in Swedish which means i would have to translate it word for word
and found 1 process on a forum which was not tried and tested, its a process used for snake skin which a skinner thinks might work for salmon, im not to sure if it would work on the smell aspect though, im sure snakes dont smell like fish
will have another look tomorrow

thanks

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Funny this should surface (ho, ho, ho.).

A friend recently told me about a tanning camp he'd been on in Sweden, someone there tanned a fish skin that had been 'peeled' completely intact. They used it as a pouch or purse of some sort.

I'll see if I can find out more about it.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Spoke to my friend the other day. He & his group of 'tanning' friends are largely self taught. I'll see if I can get a recipe for the fish tanning via him, it may take a while though.

psy.

Jul 25, 2010
SE Sweden
Looks quite likely to me, there is a page about fish tanning...
http://www.lottasgarveri.se/Fishskin.html

I'll ask.

Yes it is her - at least she has written a book about tanning fish skins. The book is shown on the page as well.

I have that book, but never got around to try tanning myself. Maybe this summer I'll catch something :fishing:

ETA: I will post a few recipies in the following days, can't do it right now.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE