Primal takedown bow...60 or 50 lb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Just thought I would share this pretty cool bow concept with you all.. Im tempted

What do you all think

[video=youtube;vYpPdqmSenU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpPdqmSenU[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like that, nice compact and only 36 ounces / 1.02kg in weight you wouldn't mind humping it along for a bit of playtime.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Saw this a couple of weeks back and thought it a good idea. Shockingly ugly but much easier to use than a proper takedown.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good idea certainly but for me borders on the tacticool side of things.
1KG is very heavy for a bow. A selfbow of 50lbs would weight in at much less than 2lbs. The very large handle section would make the bow very inefficient as there would be a lot less working limb so less energy storage. This is the reason a 100lb crossbow would deliver as much energy to an arrow as a 50lb "normal" bow. Its all about limb travel and force/draw.
Nice concept but there is always a compromise and performance would suffer. Saying that the guy cant alf land an arrow in the right place.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Good idea certainly but for me borders on the tacticool side of things.
1KG is very heavy for a bow. A selfbow of 50lbs would weight in at much less than 2lbs. The very large handle section would make the bow very inefficient as there would be a lot less working limb so less energy storage. This is the reason a 100lb crossbow would deliver as much energy to an arrow as a 50lb "normal" bow. Its all about limb travel and force/draw.
Nice concept but there is always a compromise and performance would suffer. Saying that the guy cant alf land an arrow in the right place.

Hey Dwardo. I dont know anything about bows/crossbows but would love some advice. I like the idea of a bow that I could carry into the woods and practice with without taking an obvious bow. Are there bows like this that are in 3 pieces that could be assembled with a leatherman?

Cheers

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey Dwardo. I dont know anything about bows/crossbows but would love some advice. I like the idea of a bow that I could carry into the woods and practice with without taking an obvious bow. Are there bows like this that are in 3 pieces that could be assembled with a leatherman?

Cheers

There are no tools needed to assemble a standard two piece take-down bow. That bow can be all wood with a metal collar, laminates etc.
Beware though bud without permission you might get an ear full if not worse. Or on a bad day maybe a concealed weapon? Sorry to put a bummer on it but maybe find a club or friendly land owner.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
There are no tools needed to assemble a standard two piece take-down bow. That bow can be all wood with a metal collar, laminates etc.
Beware though bud without permission you might get an ear full if not worse. Or on a bad day maybe a concealed weapon? Sorry to put a bummer on it but maybe find a club or friendly land owner.

Thanks for your advice dwardo,

I wouldnt worry as much carrying a bow as i would a large knife or my tomahawk. At one point it was a legal requirement for all men to practice archery every week? those were the days!

Its a sad day when an englishman is in fear for carrying a bow of all things? anyone agree?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Or on a bad day maybe a concealed weapon? Sorry to put a bummer on it

Did'nt realise we had concealed weapon laws in this country ?, if thats the case, anything sharpe or pointy in your pocket or pack is concealed...

I don't want to be confrontational , & you are very knowledgeable & skillfull as regards archery,but i feel this is scaremongering.

I will stand to be corrected, & appologise if any offence is caused.

Rob

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not a weapon, a bow is sporting equipment. Hunting with a bow is illegal in the UK therefore a bow is not for hunting and nobody has the right to assume that it is being carried for this illegal purpose. Crossbows are restricted in "public places" bows are not mentioned in this context therefore they are perfectly legal.

But, it would be advisable to have target or field points only on your arrows, even blunts can be fun for plinking or rovers. Getting permission for archery in a private wood seems a good thing and one would like to be insured for personal protection.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not trying to scaremonger at all. I was just tring to point out that shooting a bow on some ones else's land without permission might get you ok into bother. Add to that a bow that's tactical looking and able to be packed down and hidden. Whilst there may be no specific legislation it might get the plod called out and a boring time explainning your self. Get caught on private land with this setup and why could they not say you were there to poach and you had a viable weapon and no permission?. Just becuase it not a prohibited weapon does not mean it's harmless.
I shoot on a friends land and somethimes even public land but I would be well out of the way of paths and the public, with a decent target and I would not be hiding anything.

I see it like the UK pocket knife law. Yes my ukpk is perfectly legal but I am not going to whittle a stick in my local shopping center or I am going to get in trouble, although it's perfectly legal does not mean it's not going to cause u grief.

Just have your whits about you is all I am trying to say.

Daily mail alert over.:rolleyes:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for your advice dwardo,

I wouldnt worry as much carrying a bow as i would a large knife or my tomahawk. At one point it was a legal requirement for all men to practice archery every week? those were the days!

Its a sad day when an englishman is in fear for carrying a bow of all things? anyone agree?

Would be a sad day indeed. Not what i was trying to put across obviously poorly.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not a weapon, a bow is sporting equipment. Hunting with a bow is illegal in the UK therefore a bow is not for hunting and nobody has the right to assume that it is being carried for this illegal purpose. Crossbows are restricted in "public places" bows are not mentioned in this context therefore they are perfectly legal.

But, it would be advisable to have target or field points only on your arrows, even blunts can be fun for plinking or rovers. Getting permission for archery in a private wood seems a good thing and one would like to be insured for personal protection.

My old target air rifle was just that a sorting piece of equipment that wasn't ever going to get used for hunting, but I would never have set up on land I had no permission for. I would be really carefull on private land with a bow. I wouldn't have minded folk playing on my old patch but for the sake of controlling the bad elements I'd at least like folk to ask first.
Have fun,
GB

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Neither a bow, nor its arrows are offensive weapons under law unless an individual adapted them or intended to use them for the specific purpose of to causing harm to other persons.

This is because modern sporting and hunting bows and arrows are not 'made' offensive weapons, as they are designed to shoot targets or game, not persons.

The burden would fall on the police to prove that you intended or had adapted the bow and arrows for the purpose of causing harm to other persons.

However, the arrows themselves (not the bow), when carried in a public place or on school premises, would fall under Pointed and Bladed Articles offences (Section 139, Criminal Justice Act, 1988).

In this case, the burden would fall on the individual carrying the arrows to convince the police that he or she had 'good reason' to have them at the time: for example, if the carrier was on their way to a practice area or to hunt. Ultimately a court would have to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that the individual did not have a 'good reason', for that individual to be convicted of the offence.
[h=3]Source(s):[/h]Section 139, Criminal Justice Act, 1988"

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A bow in the UK is not made for shooting at game because there is no legal bow-hunting in the UK.
The arrows would not be regarded as pointed or bladed items. Even those thugs who have shot at swans, for example, with bows and arrows have not been charged thus but under animal cruelty legislation. I do not think that prosecutors would have missed a charge of having a pointed weapon if they had thought that they could make it stick.

However, this gets away from the OP. The bow shown is interesting but is over-engineered. There are several much simpler systems. I bought one the other day called a "Stealth Bow" which has one limb and the handle as one piece and the other limb just slots into the handle. Not sure of the weight but it is light and is maybe 25lbs. Just bought for a bit of fun and for its compactness. Could very easily increase the draw weight if I wanted to by, for example, using the cordage bow technique.

http://www.maudesport.com/petron_beginners_stealth_leisure_bow_kit-petron-005169-79831

I bought the Strong version but paid considerably less.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I like all bows to a greater or lesser extent, this one is cool but I'd never buy one. Straight limbs
like that are extremely inefficient, so a 50 lb. bow like this will probably shoot about like a 35 lb. "proper" bow. My wooden riser take down bows weigh less than a couple of pounds and are far better engineered for accuracy. Still, it's got cool factor!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We often get bogged down in the sidelines here don't we :rolleyes:

Yup it's overweight and over engineered, but I think they've tried to make something robust that'll last the rough and tumble of storage by folk who don't nessesarily shoot bows a lot.

The one you mention from Maudesport, can't see from the picture how it slots together, do you have a photo?

At the ridiculous end of the scale here's purportedly the worlds smallest compound bow http://www.libertyarchery.com/index.html dam expensive too compared to the other two.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE