DMT or equivalent sharpeners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I have had my waterstones for a few years, and there probably due a re-flatten or replacement soon so figure I'd ask on what do you all use or can recommend

Would be looking for medium, fine and extra fine if that's an option or whatever is recommended really.
I use a worksharp precision for most of my regular pocket tools/blades and a dc4/cc4 on times, but there pretty small and uncomfortable for prolonged use, and the worksharp is no good for a flat scandi edge.

Something to use at home, so size isn't an issue.

Thanks

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I’ve owned the large 8” coarse/medium and fine/extra fine diamond combi stones from DMT. They were ok but much, much prefer The 8” diamond #400 grit and #1200 plates from Atoma.

The “interrupted“ pattern of the DMT stones are simply a sales gimmick in order to sell you a larger stone with less diamonds on it. The continuous DMT plates are said to be better.

I’m currently using the two aforementioned Atoma plates followed by the now discontinued Spyderco Fine ceramic benchstone but the Shapton Kuromaku 1500 or 2000 will make a good alternative as a finishing stone.

Reactions: Decacraft

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Atoma plates. 140 for stone flattening. 600 and 1200 for sharpening. Keep water stones for final finish.

Or you could buy the sticky back diamond foil from Axminster and make your own.

I have DMT Duofolds and they are nice and do work for sharpening.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Atoma plates. 140 for stone flattening. 600 and 1200 for sharpening. Keep water stones for final finish.

Or you could buy the sticky back diamond foil from Axminster and make your own.

I have DMT Duofolds and they are nice and do work for sharpening.

Have seen the Axminster ones- what would they stick to? Something like a block of flat plastic or wood? They seem very well priced

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Looking for new stones, and was wondering if it was worth it getting the diamond version

Depends on the steels you are sharpening.

If you sharpen hard carbide steels then yes diamond and CBN stones are way to go.

Diamonds cuts deeper than CBN. Similarly electroplated stones (e.g. DMT and ATOMA, etc...) cuts faster than resin bonded stones. I prefer resin bonded stones as they give better edges and finishes in my opinion. For the same reason I prefer CBN over diamond.

If the steel that I am going to sharpen is not hard/high carbide steel, then I go with Naniwa Chosera Stones. They are the best I have tried and I am extremely happy with them.

Regardless of what you buy (apart from electroplated ones), you will need flattening. I do that using EDGE PRO flattening set. You do not need to buy the set, it simply consists of glass plate and loose silicon and chromium carbide particles. You can find these in may online hardware stores.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have seen the Axminster ones- what would they stick to? Something like a block of flat plastic or wood? They seem very well priced
I no longer recommend glass. I have thick float glass, but it is still glass and fragile. Sure, for really flat it is good, but for general sharpening I much prefer Corian. A bit harder to find, but off cuts can be had. In any case, it is useful the backing is water resistant.

i like the Axminster adhesive abrasive for pocket hones and shaped hones for hook knives. Flat plastic, Tufnol, 3mm carbon fibre ;) Lots of options

Reactions: Stew and Decacraft

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE