Torch recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just thinking that it might be a good idea to get a solid, reliable, torch for emergency use or keep in the car use or keep in the house use. Any recommendations?

We have a lot of good petzel and silva head torches plus a few less reliable alpkit ones. I have a very old mini maglite keyring torch that's pretty useless. Before all those I had a 2 AA sized maglite that really wasn't great. Back then Maglites were the best around but now I think there's better. Is it fenix that's good now?

I'm not into aliexpress or ebay specials, or temu. I thinking of decent, mainstream sources. What do you think might suit?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fenix are alright.

Sofirn or Wurkkos are better value.
Convoy is another, but here in the UK, Convoy's aliexpress store is best place to get them.

Wurkkos have a 2xAA penlight if that's what you are after

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't think there's much wrong with Fenix. You might pay more than some brands but they are shipped from the UK and have a 5 year warranty, longer than many other cheaper brands.

It's a shame that there's not a decent LED torch which uses the latest LEDs and runs of a few D cells or similar. One that didn't look tacticool and had a decent case that wasn't just plain metal.

Sadly I'd have to go with a double AA torch from Fenix or someone similar at the moment. If you're dog walking or similar then a AA head torch is useful.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We have double AA headtorches and 3xAAA headtorches. Also one rechargeable one that's ul plus decent light levels too.

I've been looking at reviews and a lot of the best buys seem to be based on non-standard batteries 123s or that 18xxx ones. They work out bigger than AA and not recommended to try and make them fit an AA torch. Basically I looking for anything that takes supermarket available batteries. Whilst 18xxx might be better batteries I'm not going to be able to buy them at pretty much any convenience store, supermarket or corner shop when out and about.

Olites have been recommended but ruled out for battery issues above. I've seen good writeups on Nebo brand on amazon. Big Larry 2 looks a decent one to get a few to dot around the place. Nebo Newton range look good for more light uses. They do versions taking AA batteries giving out 500, 1000 or 1500 lumens.

My bike light gives out 1600 lumens which I only ever used in pitch black early morning or winter afternoon commute through an unlit and seriously potholed and often flooded industrial estate. I could really easily see what was coming up even if I was ever brave enough to go at speed!

If walking I reckon 1000 lumen would be good enough, possibly 1500 lumens is overkill. I mean you're not going fast with a hand torch when walking so you don't need to fully light up the opposite side of the valley.

Anyone got a Nebo torch? Are they any good or just cheap, online rubbish?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE