Percolator thoughts? Good, bad, other? Which one to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A stainless steel moka (Bialetti type) works for me. Works on my KK Trekker Hobo, my Svea M40 (“Swedish Army Trangia “) or the kitchen job top.
I also carry a Smart Cafe cafetière mug - it’s the predecessor of the Zylis.

I don’t seem to be able to post pictures from my iPhone otherwise I’d illustrate.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A stainless steel moka (Bialetti type) works for me. Works on my KK Trekker Hobo, my Svea M40 (“Swedish Army Trangia “) or the kitchen job top.
I also carry a Smart Cafe cafetière mug - it’s the predecessor of the Zylis.

I don’t seem to be able to post pictures from my iPhone otherwise I’d illustrate.

You can only upload photos directly in your posts if you are a full member.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Thanks! I have heard good things about those in the past. I had long ago forgotten about the brand though.

French Press ground coffee can be a bit hard to find though where I go so, part of the attraction with a percolator is being able to use coffee commonly found in prepackaged "drip grounds" at grocery and general merchandise stores.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I wouldn’t worry about finding special ground coffee for a cafetière (French Press)
If I’m buying it ground I just pull it off the supermarket shelf. I also order bulk Robusta roasted beans. When grinding it myself with my electric grinder I usually give it ten seconds but some mornings that’s nearer to seven. Anywhere between seven and fifteen seconds I don’t worry. It doesn’t make that much difference.
I go camping with a Xylis (press) mug and a Bialetti type moka. I use the same ground coffee. If I need to make a lot of coffee here at home I have a twelve cup filter machine and guess what? It gets the same random grind.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I wouldn’t worry about finding special ground coffee for a cafetière (French Press)
If I’m buying it ground I just pull it off the supermarket shelf. I also order bulk Robusta roasted beans. When grinding it myself with my electric grinder I usually give it ten seconds but some mornings that’s nearer to seven. Anywhere between seven and fifteen seconds I don’t worry. It doesn’t make that much difference.
I go camping with a Xylis (press) mug and a Bialetti type moka. I use the same ground coffee. If I need to make a lot of coffee here at home I have a twelve cup filter machine and guess what? It gets the same random grind.
What type of grinder do you use?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A cheap mains electric one, I think it came from Tesco. I’ve thought about a hand grinder but it’s not important to me.
I have no problems taking ground coffee with me for a fortnight’s camping.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Technically a percolator is just filter coffee, where the water "percolates" though the coffee in a cone shaped filter and drips into a jug.
But there are dozens of other ways to make coffee.
The eastern europeans just put coffee grounds in a glass and add boiling water, wait till it settles and drink.
The middle east they prefer using extra fine ground coffee and boiling it with water and sugar in a Briki
The Americans used to boil coffee grounds and water in a tall pot then let it settle.
All perfectly drinkable coffee with minimal equipment.

So it depends on how much kit you want to take.

If weight and space were no problem then my pick would be one of the hexagonal Bialeti type Moka pots, where the water boils in the bottom and squeezes though the coffee to the pot on the top.

And yeah what kind of coffee you use. Some of my current beans are aldi french or italian roast and Asda do a really nice espresso roast bean in their "Extra Special" range. May be too strong for some, it is all a personal thing.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If weight and space were no problem then my pick would be one of the hexagonal Bialeti type Moka pots,
I have a little stainless steel version of the Moka. With its handle cut off (I use a gripper) and some of its lip trimmed it fits inside my Trekker.
I own the aluminium type too but this is much lighter.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I use a Moka pot at home occasionally but, not when camping. Just too much gear and kit.

A percolator is reasonable due to the flexibility to use a lot of different coffee types and, I have been known to put other stuff inside it for travel reasons.

In terms of coffee grounds in a cup or pot with water on the boil, which is known as "Cowboy Coffee" where I come from, is a reasonable option too. However, if I use a pot and don't scrub it really well, oatmeal or rice will end up tasting like coffee too! If I have a covered wagon or RV for it, not such a big deal though.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
An Aeropress is a good option too if bulk isn't an issue. It is pretty light too if you get the travel version. The downside can be keeping the little paper filters available in good condition from a travel kit or backpack. Plus the amount of coffee produced is a bit small, at least for me.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I do try to drink 3 to 4 cups of coffee (~1L or ~1qt) in the morning when out so, quantity is part of the issue I traditionally overlook, and that is why I look for "easy" to make or larger quantity options.

Hydrate or Die is the Camelbak mantra but, whether on the farm as a kid in Oklahoma or a young man in Arizona, old habits die hard! In my travels in Europe, everyone was always surprised at the amount of coffee, water, tea, beer, etc. I consumed along with the size of the meals I ate! Part of it is an "American thing" and part of it is simply the lifestyle and environment I am in that drives this.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
An Aeropress is a good option too if bulk isn't an issue. It is pretty light too if you get the travel version. The downside can be keeping the little paper filters available in good condition from a travel kit or backpack. Plus the amount of coffee produced is a bit small, at least for me.
The idea with an aeropress is that you’re making a small amount that you can then top up or just drink as an espresso.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That’s exactly what some people do with a Moka. Make it strong, almost an espresso, and dilute to an Americano for two.

While a Moka doesn’t make espresso it does make a good strong brew.
Espresso and Ristretto should always be served with a glass of cold water anyway and that’s the thinking that I take with me when camping.

I’m beginning to wonder: are we seeing a translation problem in this thread. I haven’t seen a percolator in the UK for decades except in junk shops. Are they still about elsewhere or are we talking about something different from the glass domed bubbling pot that my grandma used?

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’m beginning to wonder: are we seeing a translation problem in this thread. I haven’t seen a percolator in the UK for decades except in junk shops. Are they still about elsewhere or are we talking about something different from the glass domed bubbling pot that my grandma used?
I didn't really think they were still a thing here, but then I started to see them advertised by Snow Peak and other companies that gear towards people doing what I think of as "heavy camping". I'm guessing it's either an American influence or a general notalgia-driven thing.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Post removed to edit so it makes sense!
Can’t find ‘delete’

The post below hasn’t come out right either. It could be an iPhone thing.

Please how do I delete a post?

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
My memory is that they are no more bulky or heavy than a (stainless steel) moka. More importantly they are very much slower!
If weight is a problem then definitely just dump the coffee into a fireproof mug, pour in hot water and simmer in the mug.
I’ll pay my subs in a minute then I can add pictures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE