Percolator thoughts? Good, bad, other? Which one to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I am wondering about getting a percolator for use at home and camping. The cheap Chinese/Walmart versions I have seen haven't really inspired confidence so, I'm wondering about something a bit nice and 'upscale' without being overly expensive.

Who uses a percolator? Is your coffee good for you? What do you like and dislike about your percolator?

What are the better percolator options? Is something like the Petromax option overkill? The camping French Press I have works well enough but, it is a pain to clean and it doesn't produce enough coffee for a slow morning start! The Bialetti is a nice option but, is really too small for a morning cup for me at a campsite.

TIA,
Sid from Texas

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Aeropress for home and woods.
Brilliant bit of kit and very durable. Filters are cheap and the whole thing fits inside my thermal mug for transport.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
I use one all the time at home (in the UK) & I prefer this type as i find French press coffee to anemic in taste .
For me the internal component should idealy be stainelss steel rather than the more common aluminium ones.
The Petromax looks good but in reality does not make the coffe any better.If out and about then cowboy coffee is the way to go unless at a 'base camp' the a perc is probably better.

Also I use the internals of a Bodum french press in a Stanly adventure mug ,this gives me cowboy coffee and a press to remove the bits.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
It's very hard to make bad coffee with an aeropress. Remarkably tolerant of everything. Otherwise, bialetti for strong Italian, esprit for best cafetiere.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Many new percolators have resin
Instead of glass tops. These will split in time or strip aluminum lids .
Vintage are good, but be cautious of worn ones. A coating of apple sauce will determine if oxidation is toxic by turning colour.
‘Cowboy Rawlings’ on YouTube, and the late Mors Kochanski have excellent tutorials on cowboy coffee.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've always been too thirsty and in too big a hurry to do a proper job of the morning coffee. In this day and time, I've been following the instructions to let the coffee steep for an honest 5 minutes in a press. That alone has made quite the difference. There's really no difference for me between the Lagostina and Bodum presses.
Experiment with the coffee. Locally dark roasted beans are as good as any of the name brands in the grocery store. Dark has less caffeine and that cuts the bitterness quite a lot. Best is a can of Turkish very fine grind! Skip the funny little pot and use it in a press. Sure, the screen gets plugged but I can manage.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
I just do a French press without the press. Put desired amount in cup, add hot water, cover it & wait 10 minutes, done. Could be made in a pot, too. Carrying a whole chunky piece of kit just to produce the coffee slightly differently would be madness to me.

Actually I do the same thing at home. But I've been eyeing those hourglass shaped coffee pots with the steel mesh filter. Basically a Chemex with a filter that leaves the oils in.

Last edited:

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
If you’re going to drink finely ground Greek-Turkish coffee
A Briki is a great bushcraft coffeemaker. You can get a nice one on EvilBAY in copper. The ones with a pomegranate are Armenian. Anni 4x4 on YouTube
Uses one.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Somewhere in my kitchen, I do have a perc., the sort with the hollow glass knob. Something to watch, I suppose. Probably why I like the presses so much.
Steeping loose tea leaves and watching them unroll is about the same. I'm getting used to a 5+ minute steeping time. Used to seem like an eternity.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Somewhere in my kitchen, I do have a perc., the sort with the hollow glass knob. Something to watch, I suppose. Probably why I like the presses so much.
Steeping loose tea leaves and watching them unroll is about the same. I'm getting used to a 5+ minute steeping time. Used to seem like an eternity.
You should try gong fu style brewing - 20 s and add 5 s each time or something similar. :D

I’m good at forgetting about my tea/coffee steeping and ending up with a really strong brew as a result. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My coffee and tea making is most irregular as it's hard to walk with a cane and get the kettle filled and carried. A ritual when I worked = 2 cups of coffee and 3 cigarettes and I was lit up for the day. Our village tap water in McBride comes from a large snowfield, up maybe 5,000', that I can see from my kitchen window. It's almost sweet-tasting at this time of year. Cold? Thermometer in my kitchen sink says +7C.

I inherited a cool wood and brass bean grinder that I can run more quickly than the kettle can boil. Peaceful sound, not the whine of the electric. Usually a cup or two of village cold water seems most satisfying.

• Love
Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE