Billy Pots? Good, Bad, other?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I bought my third Mors Pot from For Dog in 2019.
It is lightweight, but anodized and I’ve had no issues. People beg to buy them. Then they want it less than the last list price with free shipping . ROFLOL
My kitchenware is heavy gauge French tin lined copper and cast iron. End of the day, if it holds water over a fire I’m good.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What I don't understand is that nobody went to Open Country and bought the tools for the Mors Pot.

But I also don't understand why there is no current production for original Swedish army steel mess tins although they cost used approximately 150 €.

That's pretty weird. And you can think about Canterbury what you want, but he simply offers the stuff, the good stuff that otherwise would have been extincted. Next he will make are surely Polish army tents in XL size...

Last edited:

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Fact is, I don’t think about, or much of him at all. As a vet, and one who does volunteer work helping my peers; Bullshot Crummond , Walter Mitty and Baron Munchausen BS
Is a serious warning flag. Add a ‘ My way or the highway’ attitude and the inevitable marketing of kit by countless self appointed pundits and it does matter. There are classics in bushcrafting sourced from surplus and commercial. And yes, it’s ironic they aren’t being replicated. But half the time you make what people ask for it doesn’t sell. When it becomes de riguer fashion statement people get discouraged; join the Button People or reenactment groups.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What I don't understand is that nobody went to Open Country and bought the tools for the Mors Pot.
Not even sure there would be many tools. I'd bet the metal spinners that make the storm kettles (Kelly, Ghillie etc) could spin a simple aluminium pot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Billy can = brewing coffee and tea, stews and soups .
Fry pan has always been a better option especially with a folding handle.
Us mess set is good and there's a reason why mess tins are still issue'd

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have a Primus LiTech kettle. Just over a litre of water, coated for non-stick, folding handles and a lid that doubles as a non-stick little fry pan. Had it for years. Its good over a fire (if you use a cloth or leather gloves to pick it up) and is also used as a heavier option for use with a small gas stove.

I also have a 12cm zebra and a 14cm zebra. Very good if I'm cooking solely over an open fire, which is getting rare for me nowadays. A YT search will show you how to use it as a boiling vessel, fry pan and an oven.

I have an original jetboil. It's been heavily used over the years and its still going strong.

Depending on what kind of cooking I'm doing will depend on what cooking set up I take. But if I had to pick one of the above to be my only set up, I'd choose the Primus LiTech kettle without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
With reference to what you are cooking,i've just watched a youtube vid by Bexbugout. Very informative,and really just common sense when you think about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE