Billy Pots? Good, Bad, other?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I am wondering about Billy Pots and whether I should get one. And, if so, why one of them over something like a Titanium cup or pot.

TIA,
Sid

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Depends on what you want I guess, I could be wrong but to my mind a billy is a pot made of metal (any type) that has a handle that can be suspended over a fire to heat it. But other peoples definitions may differ.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look at the Pathfinder stainless steel Bush Pot 64 oz / 1,8 litres !
That's a very practical design.

In titanium pots you have the problem that food sticks easily to it. You burn your food above the burner flame easily..Titanium is mainly good as a cup or water kettle but not good for real cooking.

Reactions: leanrascal

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
-I convert charity shop biscuit barrels (seamless stainless steel) into billy cans by simply drilling holes for a fence wire/ knitting needle bail handle and adding a hazel button to the lid.P2200018.JPGP2200019.JPGP2200020.JPGP7060002.JPGP7060003.JPG
Tea, coffee, sugar cans are great for small billy cans and nesting sets.
Cheap and effective :)

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
As ever with these kinds of things, it all depends on what you want it for.
Are you cooking a meal or just boiling water?
As has been said, titanium is only good for boiling with. Which is what I do 90% of the time im out, which is why I have a titanium mug/pot.
However, I also have a frying pan. And I also have a large stainless pot. And, yup, I even have a Zebra Billy (for the life of me I can't remember when I last used it. But back in the day they were so en vogue).
To be honest, I've always found the billy design not the best. Not good for cooking in, not good for pouring (and some kind of grabber is needed as well).
A variety of pots is what you need, so you can take the best pot for what you are doing. It needn't be a big collection of pots - a choice of two or three will cover all needs. Then just take the one you need for what you are doing.

Reactions: Tiley and TLM

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Depends on what you want I guess, I could be wrong but to my mind a billy is a pot made of metal (any type) that has a handle that can be suspended over a fire to heat it. But other peoples definitions may differ.
Good for camping out by a billabong, but watch out for those troopers!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had a Zebra billy 12cm, 1.4 litre. Worked okay over a fire. Was darned heavy, horrible to pour out of, handle was annoying over stoves as it always flopped and got hot. 1.4 litre was too big for one person. Sold it.

Have a 900ml Snowpeak titanium pot. better size for solo, lighter, can drink from and pour, controllable lid. Not really good over a fire, but can do if happy without a lid using Alpkit chain clips.

With so few places I camp being suitable for open fire cooking, I am happy with the titanium pot. If I had to buy again, I might not get the Snowpeak because I don’t really like the lid.

I have burned food in titanium, steel and aluminium. If it is thin and light, there is the risk. Aluminium is the best for conducting but also least durable. I like that bare titanium is durable for cleaning.

Reactions: sidpost

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA

In titanium pots you have the problem that food sticks easily to it. You burn your food above the burner flame easily..Titanium is mainly good as a cup or water kettle but not good for real cooking.
The Soto WindMaster Stove with 4Flex Pot Support has made pretty thick oatmeal in my Titanium cup without scorching. I do need to stir it a little and use a reasonable flame level. If I don't stir at all, it will get a little over browned in the bottom.

Your burner matters a lot more with Ti than other metals in my experience.

Reactions: Erbswurst

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tatonka pots. Brilliant and I have had mine for about 15+ years and its been hammered and still good as new.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Plus one for this. I've been using it for a while and it's spot on. Perfect for family camps, base camp cooking and so on. It's well thought out, the bail works and stays upright, the handles are solid. It feels like a lot of thought had gone into it.

Otherwise, I use a titanium pot - I can't remember the exact make - but 750 ml is enough for cups of tea for two, or a meal for one. Again, look for one with a bail and folding handles. Another feature to look for is a little handle on the lid that slides to stay upright rather than just flop back down. These details make a difference.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
9 times out of 10 my crusader mug does for everything. Others times a mess tin or a msr alpine 775 ml pan.

The biscuit/coffee tin already mentioned is the best idea, why pay a fortune on a Billy pan.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Sounds like a Titanium 'cup' with a handle bail is probably a better way to go. As mentioned above, not having handles on the side of a Bill Pot is problematic. Aliexpress will deliver a ~750mL Ti cup/mug/pot like this for less money as well.

I scored a good deal on a Boundless Voyage canteen/cookware set so, I'll give it a go and see how it works out as well but, a Ti pot with hang loop seems like a better solution right now. Maybe I'll get one with a French Press attachment too!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I have the sadly oop Mors 1.7L pot.
Army hero Dave Canterbury killed it off with a Mainland Chineseversion.
A pot doubles as emergency snow- soil shovel, container for wild edibles and, with a steel water bottle a system for water purification. Mors promoted one to hold his basic bush survival kit.
I’d take a bulk food tin salvaged from a dustbin over nothing in a heartbeat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Take a look at simple large tiffens. My kids gave me several in different sizes, any of which sit well on a single burner stove (or hang above it if too hot for reheating stuff like rice, soups and curries.
Looks like coffee, smells like chicken soup and tastes like orange juice. I must be camping.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Kav
I doubt that the Pathfinder Bush Pot was the reason that the Mors Pot discontinued.

I rather think that the maker of the Mors Pot stopped the production because they were unable to sell their other stuff to the average camper and it seems that Four Dog wasn't so smart to buy the tools.
And that they sold in the end the pot only together with the own stupid twig stove for a ridiculous high price was a bad joke in my opinion. As well as that they don't serve the European market.

But to be honest: In my opinion the steel pot is the better construction and it isn't much heavier but more robust. When I got the Mors Pot I really was shocked how thin it is.

I agree that it's sad that we lost a US product and got a Chinese replacement.
Otherwise everybody can make such a pot in his country. There is surely no patent on it.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A few decades past, I was the forum moderator on a survival website. I read about Norwegian felljukens. I emailed, with a Norwegian translator trying to purchase a unit for review, attaching my online credential.
I never even received the courtesy
of reply after repeat efforts.
Ditto BRYNJE, a German Lodenfrey anorak maker, French hiking boots and Recta compass company.
It IS frustrating in this age of supposed global economy.
No problems and hasta la vista- baby.
I have a Scottish tweed favored by a English detective ( no, not Mr Foyle) William Lennon boots and with the current exchange buying from people who ( more or less) speak the same language.
Four Dog can be a bit rude. But the gasification stoves are truly superb.
Now, if I can find bulk BCB lifeboats at a realistic price.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The company that made the Mors Bush pot got bought and discontinued it.

The name will come back to me, actually I've probably linked to it before on here. I

Edit; Yeah, it was Open Country Campware and their website no longer sells camp kitchen stuff. Looks like ceased to exist sometime after 2016.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE