Old news: 2013. PO states "weapons" cannot be posted, shows pic of knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
If big Eck comes at me trying to hurt me I will defend myself with whatever I happen to have at hand as is my right within the law. It doesn't matter whether he attacks me with a weapon or not.

Scots law, must be different to english law......
Hope you like spuds or rice...(porridge is rarely on the menu lol)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ronnie, I agree. If I'm an innocent party and some gadgie tries to give me a doing it set phazers to malkie as far as I'm concerned. And I would be careful what I said afterwards. Heck I've even called an ambulance for one afterwards. But if its "not to hand" but carried for the "purpose" you'll have to have a good brief to get you off.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
This is the natural way of the world, Goatboy. Don't be shy about telling the polis how scared you were when he attacked you either.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This is the natural way of the world, Goatboy. Don't be shy about telling the polis how scared you were when he attacked you either.

As the standard Police mantra goes after "restraining" a subject: - "I was in fear for my safety and that of my colleagues."

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
No, it's not nearly that simple. The police find you holding a stick and big Eck lying on the ground blood pouring out of his head. You could say:

"I knew big Eck was after me and was going to assault and rob me so I brought my walking stick with me to defend myself" and that would mean you were carrying a weapon and you'd be going down.

Alternatively, you could say:

"I was walking along minding my own business when big Eck tried to assault and rob me, so I hit him over the head with the walking stick I happened to have with me to defend myself", and that would mean you would be much less likely to be seen to be carrying a weapon and you'd probably get away with it.

It's what you say, not what your intent was which makes the difference. Intent is extremely difficult to prove unless you voice it. I'm sure several Americans are howling with laughter at the absurdity of this.

Nope , it really is quite simple , but the continuous efforts of members of the public to complicate matters unnecessarily is why we lawyers make a living. My job is really rather like a plumbers - everyone has pipes of their personal sewage which they mess about with and before they know what they're doing they've got s**t everywhere and need someone to clean it up for them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Damn... I read the first few posts of this thread about posting knives... come back a couple days later and it's now about carrying sticks and getting nicked :dunno:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I can't help but think that the people in power have had a long term plan to damage the PO to such a large extent that no one will care when it gets sold off and made private. The local post offices have all but gone. Postal rates are massively over priced and parcel sizes are now awkward to work with.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would have picked up the slack of emails killing off letters to transform the PO/PF into a cheap and cheerful mostly parcel delivery service. They should be so user friendly to the likes of Amazon and ebay that they would be the de facto delivery service for them and made themselves so user friendly no one would even think of using a courier.

This has all got to be deliberate sabotage.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If big Eck comes at me trying to hurt me I will defend myself with whatever I happen to have at hand as is my right within the law. It doesn't matter whether he attacks me with a weapon or not.

Nothing wrong with doing that.

However, carrying a stick to 'defend yourself with' is different. Shows you had prior intent to commit violence.

You can't be done for 'thought crime'. You can be charged for *actually* hurting someone and saying you were carrying so that you could hurt someone.

To put it another way, you can be charged because you have a big mouth. Not so much 'thought crime' as 'eejit-mouth-crime'

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
When some of these old threads are resurrected is there any way of stating that the thread heading, as in the case of this one ,are old news, and should not be taken notice of, I mean this is 5 years old, and when first seeing it, it can be quite alarmist, I know that under the heading it states the original date,

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
When some of these old threads are resurrected is there any way of stating that the thread heading, as in the case of this one ,are old news, and should not be taken notice of, I mean this is 5 years old, and when first seeing it, it can be quite alarmist, I know that under the heading it states the original date,

Report button takes questions straight to the mod lounge mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE