Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tomahawk with removable haft I reckon.
Could then be used as an ulu. Or manufacture a handle on site (green wood trimming allowed of course)

Duno bout balsa. Give it a go and report back?

I did think about just packing the head of the Hawk... but that as you say requires a Helve to be made..

If I am in town I'll pick some up :)

Thought Provoking Stuff being a Boonie..

Whens the sig coming?..lol

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
My dilemma is historical or modern version?

I packed a saw to pair with MOT as he had the axe. In the area we were and how close civilisation was, neither was essential. The saw was more use on the day and does not weigh much. But Boone wise you would have had an axe. Versatile for wood processing, defence, etc.

My other challenge is blanket sleeping. I'm using the Czech bedroll at the moment, but the size is stupidly big. So I need to man up and try blankets on there own :eek:

Then my main challenge is sorting my food needs and not packing that extra bit if this and that. If it were a longer challenge a haversack would be a great help for expanding my load capacity and for use when foraging.

The US canteen was a great option for water. It's good to carry and gives that bit more capacity than the std 1ltr bottles. A little belt bottle (Stu's type) would be a great addition.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I packed a saw to pair with MOT as he had the axe. In the area we were and how close civilisation was, neither was essential. The saw was more use on the day and does not weigh much. But Boone wise you would have had an axe. Versatile for wood processing, defence, etc

That's a dilemma for me too, I'm not really very good with an axe and I can get a lot more done with a saw. Has anyone found any references to mountain man types packing hand saws?

Only way to get better with an axe is use one mate :)
With regards to historical accuracy its all just a bit of fun so dont fuss too much as t if boone would of had one.
With modern day restrictions/moral obligations/understanding of good practice a saw is a wiser choice in honesty its not as offensive looking, makes a much neater cut so better for the tree and is easier to pack.

Albus yup man up you'll be fine. Just sleep closer t the fire or consider what else you've got to keep you warm liks a pair of camp moccasins/thermal socks and a wooly hat or even kip in swannie.

The US canteen definitely worked better than a standard one ltr bottle. Water is always something that needs considering and I suspect findi or accessing safe water was a massive influence on where boone went on his travels

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I am (slowly) getting better, can rough out spoons and split billets fairly confidently now. Lot of work chopping rounds though. Your right of course just curious I guess.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Only way to get better with an axe is use one mate :)
With regards to historical accuracy its all just a bit of fun so dont fuss too much as t if boone would of had one.
With modern day restrictions/moral obligations/understanding of good practice a saw is a wiser choice in honesty its not as offensive looking, makes a much neater cut so better for the tree and is easier to pack.

Albus yup man up you'll be fine. Just sleep closer t the fire or consider what else you've got to keep you warm liks a pair of camp moccasins/thermal socks and a wooly hat or even kip in swannie.

The US canteen definitely worked better than a standard one ltr bottle. Water is always something that needs considering and I suspect findi or accessing safe water was a massive influence on where boone went on his travels

I suspect Danny boy would have a lot less difficulty finding potable water than we do.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I found no referances to saws... Saying that it does not mean they didvnot have them, the thing that would make me wonder is the up keep of the saw, ie tooth setting, sharping kit. .....

Blankets only in my next step, to be honest there should be not a lot of difference to a czech bed roll.

Next time i prob will not do saw or axe.. And just use the fallen dead wood, there is one comment with watter on the belt is the weight of it, and its effect with gravity, think i would use 1water bottle belt mounted, an have a larger over sholder one.. Does not pull belt down as you walk, and easier to use on the move.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have been reading about Kephart and Nessmuk again and they said that for a 3 day trip their pack would weigh around 25lb, how does that compare to your pack's?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My kit for the challenge came in about that. Bedroll kit, with two ltrs of water in it, came to 7.3 kgs. food bag 2.2kgs. 10kgs= 24-25lbs. Also I had enough Provisions to do another night

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I dont know how heavy mine is , I'll weight it one day... but I could scraped together another night with what I had left food wise, but it would of been a bit thin on flavor and substance..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE