Old news: 2013. PO states "weapons" cannot be posted, shows pic of knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
:sad6:Just posted out a couple of squirrel cookers and had to answer a load of questions concerning new rules that came in today.
The main one concerning us I reckon is
NO WEAPONS OR KNIVES MAY BE POSTED!!!!!!!:bluThinki
I was asked to confirm it wasn't a knife as it was metal.
When I asked them why I was told everything is now X-rayed and if a knife is found it will be destroyed and the sender prosecuted
Loads of other stuff that may affect us as well, aerosols, etc:grouphug:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I take it you mean through the Royal Mail? Not posted on BCUK? Would use a private carrier as they tend to be cheaper anyway.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Post Office website says flick knives are illegal to post but still has this up in their restricted items section.

Sharp objectsSharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.
Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Where did you hear it? Was it an over zealous Postal worker?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Someones got half the story (as usual). Certain knives are prohibited weapons and cannot be sent through RM. Lots of knives can, I send 10 or so a day from machetes to Commando daggers. On average one gets bounced every 2 months, so we just resend it. I've NEVER had one bounced twice.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Someones got half the story (as usual). Certain knives are prohibited weapons and cannot be sent through RM. Lots of knives can, I send 10 or so a day from machetes to Commando daggers. On average one gets bounced every 2 months, so we just resend it. I've NEVER had one bounced twice.
Nope. New notice went up today and it said all knives (nice big (well A4) in Red)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My local post office knows exactly what i do, and they have said nothing about it at all.

Just had a good scan online. Nothings changed regarding legal knives.

Complain to your post office and tell them they are bang wrong.

Read the BB link i posted Kev.

If it was true, do you not think us knife makers would be worrying? It'd be advertised on the woodlore site i expect too. How many mail order companies have retracted knives from sale?

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Well to be fair I posted a kukuri today and a bayonet was asked what they were I told no lies they were both super wrapped in cardboard and extremely safe to Handel plus all blades were in sheaths.
Now I'm worried if they will arrive or not. I was told that new rules were starting today but the rules were not explained to me and no mention was made about not being able to post these items.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have read through todays changes for PO for both business and private postage and as long as the knife is legal (IE not a flick knife) you can still post as long as it's wrapped properly and safely. Think you should have a word at the post office mate.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I really, really, really hope it was just an over zealous post office worker :)

Chill Kev. There's no way that cutlery, tools, garden stuff etc can be prohibited to post. How can any maker, dealer or trader get their knife to their customers?

We live in a very online environment, you really expect RM to cut off part of their revenue? ;)

entherder

Aug 11, 2011
Central Illinois
A perspective from the states... I recently traded knives with the village idiot in Wisconsin. I sent mine with the blades edge wrapped in masking tape and then sheathed and wrapped the WHOLE knife sheath and all in newspaper and then taped the WHOLE packed again in masking tape. I placed the knife in a thick bedding of newspaper and finished the packing with more crumpled newspaper in the excess cavity and then double boxed the whole thing. The village idiot took no measure of safety at all in packing the knife. The knife had managed to poke the tip through the box and become a lovely danger to the carrier and anyone handling the box. This does not include the fact that there was damage done to the knife whilst in transit. While you fellows have some rather unusual laws concerning blades to begin with, I can't say that I am surprised to see this happen when you consider the village idiot is allowed to ship at will and without regard to others safety. We also have to announce what is in the package if it could be a physical or chemical danger to others. Post 9/11 shipping has been lax in my personal opinion. I for one would like to see this amended in the US, if for no other reason than we still have a lot of villages here still and the mandatory idiots are not giving up their jobs. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE