Needle proof material sources - Kevlar or similar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have a project in mind and am looking for some kevlar type material that will stop needles and other sharp things of that ilk
Any idea where I can buy the material from that isn't already made into a stab proof vest or chain saw trousers?
I understand why it's difficult to get hold of but I just can't find any sources myself.

thanks

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Looking at the picture in the first link, it looks like there are some fairly big holes in the weave.
The boatbuilder is an option but I think I will have to have several layers like they do in vests etc to get the best protection

Cheers

Mark

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly chainsaw fabric wouldn't stop a needle - it works by "fouling" the blade and jamming it. Don't know avout kevlar - depends on the number of layers and size of needle (plus force applied) I expect

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have tested loads of materials for being needle proof as I handle a large amount of venomous snakes both wild and captive bed. I have never found any material to stop a needle at all except that which has an armour plating in some way. Even the gloves advertised for herpetologists are only protective by having formed plastic plates sandwiched in the material, so leaving a good portion unprotected for dexterity and movement. Absolutely worthless IMO.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ah OK so not good for what I was thinking then
I was in Namibia a couple of weeks ago and stood on a puff adder - I was the 6th person to walk over it including 2 San bushmen so it wasn't just me walking around with eyes closed, it really was difficult to see!
Fortunately I stood on it's head so it couldn't bite me, if I'd stood on the other end......
I thought stab proof moccasins would be the answer but it appears it's not as easy as all that!

Oh well

Mark

leon-1

I was in Namibia a couple of weeks ago and stood on a puff adder - I was the 6th person to walk over it including 2 San bushmen so it wasn't just me walking around with eyes closed, it really was difficult to see!
Fortunately I stood on it's head so it couldn't bite me, if I'd stood on the other end......
I thought stab proof moccasins would be the answer but it appears it's not as easy as all that!

Oh well

Mark

Mark kevlar weaves don't stop knives, I have shot through a set of British Army body armour with an air rifle. So the chances of it stopping a snake bite are more than minimal.

The top people in the world say that your best bet is a stout set of leather boots possibly with some form of heavy duty anklet / gaiter (made from canvas, or thick leather).

I appreciate the puff adder being a worry, I have come across them in both Kenya and Namibia and they can be difficult blighters to see, but that's their stock in trade, the day-glo puff adder is strangely a very hungry beastie:rolleyes::D:D

leon-1

The only other thing I could suggest would be a material that felts, this way there is no set weave pattern due to the way fibers lock together. The only problem that I can see with that is it would have to be quite dense and it would probably be very warm.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Oh well

Mark

Excellent, Puff Adds are one of my specialties, been bitten on the thumb by one big female in Kenya and had a close call when I almost sat on a neonate that was barely 20cm long. There is no light material that those fangs cannot get through, even thick leather when you have a big snake at full strike.

You can buy leather gaiters and shields specifically designed for this. The best I have seen are from Midwest:

http://tongs.com/p_gear.aspx

Seriously though, I actively go looking for them and it is very rare to come close to or step on a puffy. They normally wait until you have past over without giving any sign of aggresion unless you linger by them or step on a sensitive bit, and then you will hear why they are called puff-adders. Although it obviously does happen that people do get bitten. Your eyes are your best defence. I have no worries about going out with just ankle boots on.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks guys
back to the drawing board then
We saw another puff adder a few days later but it was far enough away to leave alone.
Disturbed a mamba too in a water hole

Good stuff

Mark

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The material in the eBay link looks to be aircraft insulation.

The material used in these syringe resistant gloves may be suitable.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The material in the eBay link looks to be aircraft insulation.

The material used in these syringe resistant gloves may be suitable.

Those are as good as needle resistant gloves get, but only really stops needles when you are carefully sifting and not direct jabs. No way would they stop snakebite, in fact a herpetologist I know in Dorset used to use those very gloves when lifing tin refugia, and she had an adder penetrate at the knucke area. The same company makes long snake handling gauntlets, but they only really protect the palm, back of hand,wrists and arm, as they are the only places covered by a plastic shield within the fabric.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks guys
back to the drawing board then
We saw another puff adder a few days later but it was far enough away to leave alone.
Disturbed a mamba too in a water hole

Good stuff

Mark

Now with mambas, you'll need a flak jacket, chaps and boots :lmao:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The puncture resistant strips that they put in bike tyres should be about as needle proof as you can get.

The material is Vectran, the same stuff they use in airbags. It is an Aramid, like Kevlar, but stronger.

If you can find a used airbag in the local scrapyard, a couple of layers of this might do the trick for you, for a small amount, or you could buy the puncture proof stripping an use it in lengths, held together with gaffer tape. I suspect the bike tyre stuff would last longer as the flexing of the material as you walk on it would weaken the vectran, like it does to kevlar.

Just a thought. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now I'm curious to know how needle proof fabric is stitched ?

:)

With Puff adders...

Puff-Adder_682_731083a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE