Netting Needle and Net

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Many of the 'traditional' fishing methods, and tools, are illegal here though.
No nets on a salmon river, no unattended hooked lines, bows and arrows, that kind of thing.
It rather limits the actual practice of obtaining dinner vs sport, iimmc ? and that limits the practical use of the stuff folks like us like to make.

My wife doesnt understand why I make these things I cant use :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's the profound difference between your place and mine.
You had a thousand+ years of medieval times. Royalty, all that stuff.
Your chalcolithic swiftly slid into the bronze age then the iron age.

North America jumped, in a few decades, from Neolithic to the Iron Age with hand writing and printed books. Maybe it's more prevalent in the Pacific Northwest but the Neolithic is all around me in this day and time. Hunting, bulk fishing, arts, crafts and carvings, summer tipi and winter pit houses in the interior and huge cedar plank houses on the coast. All the kinds of poles are still carved, so are the 40' - 60' ocean cedar canoes.

The oral histories which record events of 15,000 years ago (fact) are entrusted to a tribal story teller. Trained from childhood, the kid with the aptitude shouldered to burdens. I met one of them this year. Stunning experience.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many families have stories though, but the loudest academic voices repudiate them as hearsay :sigh:

Our swift progression was the direct response to invasion. Much like N.A.

The British tribes came together in common response to repeated assaults. Our islands are choice lands it seems.
The Scots and the Picts became kingdoms in response the Roman invasions, and that's pretty much the start of our Iron Age.
The southern British did likewise, and once the Western Roman empire collapsed, they were hit with the Angles invading them. Then the Danes, the Vikings decided to try for a piece too.

It's rather horrible how such generational grief drives innovation. Modern warfare is a classic example.

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Back to netting.

A 'neolithic knotless' net, is quickly and simply made, but because there are no knots (the cordage is twisted around itself to create stable meshes) the line can be unwound and re-used.
Since making cordage is in itself a major undertaking in time and resources it makes sense to use such a net when something more permanent isn't required.
For instance, gathering large amounts of greenery, fodder, crop, willow, seaweed, or similar.

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE