Modern bushcraft !?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
You, know, for someone whose English "ran out" ten posts ago, you sure find ways to continue insulting people. Kudos to your resourcefulness.

Now, instead of tossing some insults back your way, let me ask you this: since you agree that water presence in wool causes it to lose insulation, what percentage of the insulation would you say has to be lost from the garment before you will say that it does not keep you warm when wet? What percentage moisture content is required to result in that percentage loss of insulation in the different types of materials we have been discussion here?

Also, how about some of those studies and data that we were talking about? You are saying things with such a high level of assurance, there must be tons of extensive studies on the matter out there performed by reputable institutions rather than "random bloggers" like myself.

You don't like my "little tests", and you discount my experiences with the material, which have been that it has not kept me warm when it was wet. That's fine, but I'm sure there is some much better set of data out there on which you are relaying that extends beyond a guy on that forum who said that he heard from that other guy who read that one time that... I look forward to reviewing the studies and data. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But let's show that with actual facts rather than insults.

Ultimately, this is the internet, and everyone will continue to wear whatever they want to wear, and nothing that is said here will change that. People will use whatever justifications they can to bolster their chosen garment. I know what I use, and I use it because I like it. Others use different materials because they like them, and that's just fine. However, if we are going to make conclusive factual assertions, let's at least try to back them up with some evidence. Insulting other people's intelligence is a poor substitute for data.

I've told tyou everything I want to tell you in this discussion. if you still do not understand what I have told you, then there is nothing further contribute with that will make you grasp it.

If you feel isulted by anythingh I 've told you, then I don't give a flying toss about it...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've told tyou everything I want to tell you in this discussion. if you still do not understand what I have told you, then there is nothing further contribute with that will make you grasp it.......

It's not a matter of not "understanding" what you've posted. Rather it's a matter of not "agreeing" with you. Mind you I do indeed like wool for cold weather; I like it a lot! But it ain't the be-all, end-all that you seem to believe. And it ain't the best choice for all applications.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah i need pockets too. Some Ts do have them (but usually limited to a single pocket) Dickies comes to mind for a heavy (ish) durable one.

I'm toying with the idea of one or more Pock-Its such as one of these:www.mypockits.com
I use home made leather belt pouches - sporran style - naturally, as they are trad gear they suit my needs more than modern synthetic, shop bought gear ! :)
I am lovin' this thread! :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
internet_argument-meme.jpg

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
It's not a matter of not "understanding" what you've posted. Rather it's a matter of not "agreeing" with you. Mind you I do indeed like wool for cold weather; I like it a lot! But it ain't the be-all, end-all that you seem to believe. And it ain't the best choice for all applications.

I've never said that it is the best in all sitauations. I have merely explained how it works. Something our random blogger seem unable to grasp.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I have been asked to write an article on modern kit and equipment and its uses in bushcraft in 2013.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are, what do you guys think on the issue, I enjoy modern kit I must confess to being a bit of a jack door when it come to shinny kit.

But I am fascinated with the more traditional methods and the skills used, but I much prefer wearing gortex and full strech fabrics than wax jackets and wool.

Can the two mix or is there a hard core bushcrafters scene!

Just a little recap!! Can the two mix..... I am beginning to think, not so much !! I will be sticking to my modern kit and just enjoying my time in the great outdoors, not really that concerned if wool works when wet cause if it gets wet I am taking it off and drying it out !! Not that I need to worry with my fancy quick drying nosi life shirt!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've never said that it is the best in all sitauations. I have merely explained how it works. Something our random blogger seem unable to grasp.

Which 'random blogger' would that be, your pushing a few buttons so can you narrow it down and say who you mean please.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Just a little recap!! Can the two mix..... I am beginning to think, not so much !! I will be sticking to my modern kit and just enjoying my time in the great outdoors, not really that concerned if wool works when wet cause if it gets wet I am taking it off and drying it out !! Not that I need to worry with my fancy quick drying nosi life shirt!

Nosi Life? Is that craghoppers? Bear Grylls wears them so they must be really good. Are they as hard wearing as the rest of the craghoppers range? I'm not sure why any one would wear anything else, as reading this thread it seems modern fabrics are far better in many ways :) based on this thread of course :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
All my kit is traditional materials except the odd thing like a coat I use if I'm in heavy rain all day. I'm often seen lugging wood around on my shoulder and my swanndri or m65 jacket never shows any signs of damage or pulls which suits me perfect, I also enjoy making my own kit using leather, canvas, wool etc. for my personal needs natural material are the better option, plus I prefair wearing them which is also important, I also like things simple and robust :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got some really old synthetic kit(15-to 20yrs) that i still use and its still going strong infact its mostly like new and has been well used, A buffalo mountain shirt, 3 lowe alpine base layers and a lowe micro fleece,ron hill bottoms,and a spray way goretex jacket, just back from doing some walking in the pennies with it, i didnt stink, it kept me warm,and dry, just starting to update to new lightweight synthetic walking kit as a mate and me have got back into distance walking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE