Hello from Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everyone,

I'm a 26 year old Ex-Teacher (current Teaching Assistant) who is from and currently living in Manchester (UK). In my spare time I'm a Beaver Scout Leader and run a Beaver Colony (20 kids aged 5-8) once a week. I enjoy camping, Clay Pigeon Shooting, reading, writing, photography and wood carving.

Recently I have started to get more into Bushcraft and developed a few skills and bits of knowledge. I'm very familiar with starting fires with more modern methods but have been trying to make fires using only natural materials with varying degrees of success. I've also made my first bushcraft spoon as part of a little whittling project and spent some time learning about Birch Bark and it's firelighting and medicinal uses. I'd like to spend time learning how to purify water, do camp cooking and make a bushcraft camp/shelter out in the wild but this is hard due to my location.

I do have permission to chop wood and light fires at my local forest (Kersal Dale, Salford) but it is fairly popular with dog walkers, hikers and what I like to call Scrouts/Chavs and so not really ideal for extended Bushcraft activities, and definitely not safe after dark.

I've also been working on assembling my Bushcraft kit and have gathered together a few bits so far. Some of them like the axe were quite expensive, but others were bought cheaply at Military Surplus Stores or second hand shops.

Current Kit:
Pack: Swedish Army LK35 Canvas steel frame backpack.
Knife: Mora Companion 860 Scandvik Carbon Steel Knife.
Axe: Gransfors and Bruks 'Ray Mears' Wilderness Axe.
Saw: Bahco Laplander folding saw.
Drilling device: Old secondhand Rapid hand drill.
Carving: Flexcut Hook Knife.
Fire starting kit: Tin containing fire steel, vaseline coated cotton balls, Maya Fire sticks, wet fire tinder, Waterproof survival matches, Turboflame blowtorch lighter, Steel wool and a V9 Battery.
Tarp: Camouflage Tarp 2.7M x 3.5M
Paracord: 50 foot of Orange 550 Military spec paracord.
Sleeping Bag: Blacks 2 season sleeping bag.
Roll mat: Tesco Roll mat.
Wool blanket: Scottish Tartan (Antique Buchanan colour) 100% wool blanket 68" x 59".

Future additions:
I'd like to acquire a decent water purification system so any suggestions or recommendations are more than welcome. I'm also on the lookout for a decent stainless steel/titanium billy can and cook/drinking set.

I'm also thinking of purchasing a Canvas belt tent with chimney to accommodate a woodburner for winter camping in comfort.

Anyway, this is me, I look forward to making new friends, learning lots and maybe even meeting up with people in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE