'Traditional' bushcraft timeline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I look on leather making as three methods.
Brain, egg or oil tanned.
Tannin from bark tanned.
Chemically tanned (usually chromium salts)

Does PEG work on hide though ? :dunno:

I do know that making it by the first method is damned hard work, and the second one can be almost as much.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I look on leather making as three methods.
Brain, egg or oil tanned.
Tannin from bark tanned.
Chemically tanned (usually chromium salts)

Does PEG work on hide though ? :dunno:

I do know that making it by the first method is damned hard work, and the second one can be almost as much.

M

To be honest, just skinning the critter can be damned hard work. What's "PEG?"

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
At our displays I love asking the old question as to what is the main use of pigskin or deer hide.

The answer of course is to keep the wobbly bits of the animal inside as it walks around.

This then opens up people's minds to ask about and talk about the various processes and uses of animal skins. A surprising number of visitors have tried their hand at curing at least rabbit skins. Maybe our visitors tend to be self-selecting history or bushcraft enthusiasts but it does indicate the high level of potential self-sufficiency when linked with the numbers of gardeners and home craftsmen we meet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE