Mid Life Crisis question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
How many of you have figured out what it is you were put on this earth to do, or is it still as much of a mystery to you, as it is to me?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Procreate. Keep them alive so they can do the same, and so on.

Fill the rest of the time with the fun stuff.. Quite simple in my opinion.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sorry Dave, I can't help with this one as I'm only 65, but if I ever do grow up to be middle aged I'll give this some thought and get back to you! :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We're all here to breed and raise young, everything else is just to make the passing of time interesting and more pleasurable..

By mid life, we have done this... the routine of raising kids has passed for the most part, and life once again changes, the pace slows down... this is where you tend to find the crisis,... what do i do now? The answer is anything you want, you've earned it. :)

I guess its make knives for me though.....

As a species, we are probably supposed to spread life elsewhere in the solar system as thats what evolution seems to be gearing us up for..

The meaning of life... simple.... the continuation and growth of life itself.....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, I reckon that must be it. Im 42 and I dont have kids. I probably feel like Ive left it too late.

I fell guilty even saying that. Which is ridiculous.

Am I the only one without kids on here or what?! :(

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
No kids here either, and though I get the biological determinism and evolutionist view that that's what we're here for, from an individualistic perspective I'm not, never have been, and never wanted to either (and yes lots of pressure to conform and have a few, but deftly resisted). I'm 47, and have just started out as an undergrad. I've had 25 years of teaching and working for NGOs and not for profits, (and have achieved a fair amount whilst doing that - for others as well as for myself, I know the universe is not about me) and it felt like I was about half way through my adult life and time for a change. So, I'm doing what I'm doing - working ten hours a week for a small charity, working about fifteen hours a week on being a student, working some hours a week on being a fun partner to my very nice husband, relating to my mates both near and far, and generally doing bushcraft and craft stuff for the rest of the time. No biggy. I don't think I 'earned it' I could have spent 25 years chilling and that would be OK - I don't think there's someone keeping an account - except maybe me. I met a guy recently who spends his time woofing and couch surfing, does a bit of English teaching and volunteering and travelling. When money gets tight he gardens or does fruit picking. One of his friends described him as all at sea and directionless, but I'm going with the hobbit thing 'not all who wander are lost' as when I asked he said he was immensely happy.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So really, if you dont have kids, you have to find your inner peace.
Mmmmm.

That brings to mind George Harrison, travelling the world trying to find spiritual peace through loads of different religions.

I think a Woodland is a good place to start.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
No kids here either, and though I get the biological determinism and evolutionist view that that's what we're here for, from an individualistic perspective I'm not, never have been, and never wanted to either (and yes lots of pressure to conform and have a few, but deftly resisted). I'm 47, and have just started out as an undergrad. I've had 25 years of teaching (paragraphs was not one of my subjects) and working for NGOs and not for profits, (and have achieved a fair amount whilst doing that - for others as well as for myself, I know the universe is not about me) and it felt like I was about half way through my adult life and time for a change. So, I'm doing what I'm doing - working ten hours a week for a small charity, working about fifteen hours a week on being a student, working some hours a week on being a fun partner to my very nice husband, relating to my mates both near and far, and generally doing bushcraft and craft stuff for the rest of the time. No biggy. I don't think I 'earned it' I could have spent 25 years chilling and that would be OK - I don't think there's someone keeping an account - except maybe me. I met a guy recently who spends his time woofing and couch surfing, does a bit of English teaching and volunteering and travelling. When money gets tight he gardens or does fruit picking. One of his friends described him as all at sea and directionless, but I'm going with the hobbit thing 'not all who wander are lost' as when I asked he said he was immensely happy.

Fixed that for you :p

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you don't have kids it means you have wisely avoided the trap :lmao:

Everyone with kids tells me that, and I have to admit, my brothers have got plenty for all of us! One afternoon with the little nippers and Im exhausted I dont know how they do it.

I think just to accept that youre probably never going to have kids though, is quite a massive thing to cope with, because deep down, I cant help thinking Mark and Samon are correct.
We're all here to breed and raise young, everything else is just to make the passing of time

Oh well, Ive got the dog!

Last edited:

Palaeocory

Forager
I guess I start from the position that: why would their be a reason?? Maybe the question isn't even valid!

So in the meantime... have fun, enjoy people, enjoy life... learn, experience, help, create, teach... and be happy!! :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Everyone with kids tells me that, and I have to admit, my brothers have got plenty for all of us! One afternoon with the little nippers and Im exhausted I dont know how they do it.

I think just to accept that youre probably never going to have kids though, is quite a massive thing to cope with.

Oh well, Ive got the dog!

Never been a big thing for me mate, i'll stick with the dog too

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I may not have age on my side for this as I'm still in my mid 20s, but I think if you can look at what you've done and the life you have and be content you aren't doing bad. More so thinking about the people you've affected in a positive way, not in terms of being a great philanthropist or leaving your mark on society at large but the years the laughs and the beers matter I think. I'm a tad unusual as I find great comfort in atheism, the belief that this isn't a dress rehersal it's show night so enjoy what you're doing and make sure plenty of other people enjoy it with you too. Possibly even a headonistic outlook in a way but I like to think I've had a positive influence on more people than the negative along the way so far

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Without wanting to bore anyone, [again!] Its because I got hit with an illness, and instead of looking forward as I always did, my options became severely restricted, and you suddenly start to look backwards instead, and then suddenly regrets hit you, and rise like Panic attacks.

Yes, that makes me sound like Im cuckoo. Its just now and again though things hit you like a wall of bricks. Oh well. The girl you should have settled down with etc.. the one that you let get away....
We've all got our own demons to struggle with I guess. :eek:

Its cathartic in some way to post this crap though. :D

[And something of a conversation stopper:theyareon]

Right Im off to watch Yukon men.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I totally identify, Mick! What a nice way to put it :)
It's how it was put to me by a great man, a valued mentor and teacher and a dear friend who I miss greatly. But he was absolutely right! Mind you it's easy to say personal achivments matter as much when you have a university building named after you :lmao: either way I think there's a truth in it somewhere

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
We are not put on this earth to do anything. We are a direct result of coitus between a man and a woman. What you do after that is YOUR choice.

Mistakes, regrets?? I've made loads of the former but have none of the later. Though there was that one time on Arran. I still cant watch David Attenborough sit with that Silver Back without shivers running up and down my spine. Oh the horror. :eek:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
It's think it's kinda like having a cronic illness/complaint. Having struggled with a skin complaint since probably before I was 21 I am now free of its grips!! Well if I don't count the side effects from the tablets.

It makes you wonder if you should keep taking the tablets. But when you actually think how it affected your life the tablet side effects are a small price to pay.

I had an unplanned mid life crisis (divorce) and whilst it leaves bitter traces I am in the thick of enjoying my life like never before. Much more in the future than in the past but it still sneaks up behind you at times. ATB.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Without wanting to bore anyone, [again!] Its because I got hit with an illness, and instead of looking forward as I always did, my options became severely restricted, and you suddenly start to look backwards instead, and then suddenly regrets hit you, and rise like Panic attacks.

Yes, that makes me sound like Im cuckoo. Its just now and again though things hit you like a wall of bricks. Oh well. The girl you should have settled down with etc.. the one that you let get away....
We've all got our own demons to struggle with I guess. :eek:.....

I know what you mean. We all think about things we could have and maybe should have done differently. That's hindsight. It can also lead to a quite circular outlook. I mean, what if I had studied harder for that second promotion? Yes it would have meant a faster career with a higher retirement grade (for that matter I could have stayed in university and finished my Engineering degree and entered the service as an officer rather than enlisted) BUT those acts would have meant my life going another direction and I likely would never have even met a certain SSgt (and her little girl that I've come to call my daughter) Thus not enjoying two grandsons now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE