Mid Life Crisis question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have not dared pass on my genes ... more like me:yikes:
D not get me wrong - I like kids ... but I like handing them back to their parents when they get too smelly/noisy/stroppy (and that is ALL up to age 18) or I get bored with their antics...
No kids for me= more time and share of my earnings for myself :)

You need to skip a generation and go straight for the grandkids.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
At 47 married for 21 of them and with her for 29years with three grown up girls I'm only now just beginning to mature and think about what I want in life ,now thats not really a mid life its just the stage of life that you have a couple of bob and some time to do things you couldn't do before.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have tooo many kids. 2 of my own, 4 step-kids, one grandchild.

Purpose for being here? What purpose? It's all transitory.

If I hadn't had children I would be leading a very, very different life. There certainly are times when I feel 'trapped' in a merrygoround of work, bills, mortgage, work bills etc.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
How many of you have figured out what it is you were put on this earth to do, or is it still as much of a mystery to you, as it is to me?

Your maker (whom/whatever you regard that to be) would have built that in as what you want to do?

Unless one thinks of one's maker as a sadist.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Your maker (whom/whatever you regard that to be) would have built that in as what you want to do?

Unless one thinks of one's maker as a sadist.

Reminds me of a joke from a comedian. Someone talked to their god (take your pick, there are tens of thousands of them), asking him if he saved his life on an aircrash. His god said - no, that was just blind luck. I was too busy giving Aids to children in Africa...............

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I agree with the "no purpose"-stance on life as a whole. It is what you make of it. I never wanted kids growing up, and still didn't, when lady luck (i.e. my GF) told me there was one in the pipe.
We were both agreed on not wanting kids, and had planned for a life of travelling and early retirement. One rule I live by, though, is, it's best to play the hand you're dealt, so now I'm a dad with two kids.

One reason I think many people choose to have kids is that you DO get served a clear cut purpose, when you become a parent. No faffing about with self-fulfilment meditating exercises are needed when you have kids. This is a good thing, but, to my mind, not the best reason to plan to have kids.

If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't sweat it. Don't buy into the "procreation is the meaning of life" idea. Many people will tell you that primarily as a way to rationalize their own choices. (to themselves and others)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Dave
First off all my best regards and respect for yoyr thread.

So good to ask questions. Sign of intelligence.
Humbly I made nature as my temple to be close to the source.
Books like Tao Te Ching, words of buddha, Chung Tze and Bhahavad Gita are unspoiled sources for finding your real nature.
All the best
Ps good post by John Fenna

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
...........now thats not really a mid life its just the stage of life that you have a couple of bob and some time to do things you couldn't do before.

I've often thought that about guys who go and buy a sports car or bike [or whatever] it's just that they've worked to get rid of debts - pay off house, sent kids to college/uni etc and have a bit of free cash available and get something they've wanted for a while, and suddenly it's a midlife crisis - If I could have afforded a posh sports car [in reality an mg midget for me:)] when younger then I'd have bought it and nobody would have batted an eyelid, - I still can't afford one now [and they are by no means expensive], but fast forward another 10-15 years [when I actually become properly middle aged, by numbers] and get one then I'm going bonkers and having a mid life crisis!

Although now my ideas have changed and fancy a little van I can kip in the back of and go and have adventures - just got to get these kids to a state they can survive on there own...

I was thinking the other day the way I'm currently going it'll take me until my kids are mid forties to pay my mortgage off!!!!! and I could be a granddad in my late forties!!!! - I try not to think to much about that cause it scares me :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Reminds me of a joke from a comedian. Someone talked to their god (take your pick, there are tens of thousands of them), asking him if he saved his life on an aircrash. His god said - no, that was just blind luck. I was too busy giving Aids to children in Africa...............

Depends on which G word you are using when choosing to explain your "maker". If you use the word Genes they would build in a desire to procreate.

If you were going to make a creature to pollinate the planet then giving it a desire to do a task that makes moving pollen around, like make honey, would make sense.

If your maker is a designer then the appropriate desires would be built in. If your maker was Random Chance then it wouldn't matter too much what one did.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've often thought that about guys who go and buy a sports car or bike [or whatever] it's just that they've worked to get rid of debts - pay off house, sent kids to college/uni etc and have a bit of free cash available and get something they've wanted for a while, and suddenly it's a midlife crisis - If I could have afforded a posh sports car [in reality an mg midget for me:)] when younger then I'd have bought it and nobody would have batted an eyelid, - I still can't afford one now [and they are by no means expensive], but fast forward another 10-15 years [when I actually become properly middle aged, by numbers] and get one then I'm going bonkers and having a mid life crisis!

Although now my ideas have changed and fancy a little van I can kip in the back of and go and have adventures - just got to get these kids to a state they can survive on there own...

I was thinking the other day the way I'm currently going it'll take me until my kids are mid forties to pay my mortgage off!!!!! and I could be a granddad in my late forties!!!! - I try not to think to much about that cause it scares me :)

Funny you should say that... I went out looking for a new car, saw all sorts of vehicles that would be practical and reliable, but then I saw a Mini Clubman sat in the corner feeling all sorry for itself. I bought it and brought it home... all of a sudden I must be having a mid-life crisis.

If I'd bought that car in my 20s, I'd have been a boy racer... but considering it does 78mpg and costs £20 a year road tax, if I'd been in my 60s I'd have been being frugal.

All about perspective I suppose. Now I keep looking at those 6 wheeled off roaders... is that a mid life crisis?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Heh heh heh

Welcome to my world.

When we bought a house fairly recently, some of the kids asked why we were buying something so large. One reason was so that they could all visit (well, if some camp they can). The other, which we didn't tell them, was that we fully expect some of them to have to be able to 'live with mum and dad' until they are 30-odd. It's just an economic reality.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have the worst Japanese car from Meido...(Heck, it may even belong on the Tengudo its so dire.)

I cant afford to do it up or run it.

And if I had to get rid of all my possestions bar one, can you guess what I would keep?

(Not the house!)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
One kid and I'm turning 40 this coming summer. This week my purpose in life has been to lower my wife's Astra Estate lolz. She doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as me yet. My kid likes it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE